Sound Devices 664

Brian Maier

Jeff Wexler I agree with you. I'm feel sorry if anyone take my post with no good eye. I have post it with all good emotion. :)

I imagine you mean how it sounds

- Yes I mean that but not exactly. I mean for example the Schoeps CMIT5U have good mid frequencies coloration than Sennheiser MKH60 or MKH416 on this mixer. Not big difference but you can hear it. This is example and not personal experience and that's what I'm ask.

Of course, even those doing all this "bag work" usually have a boom mic plugged in, when your focus is on managing 6 wireless receivers, camera hops, file managements and delivery, monitor feeds to director and clients, there is sadly little time to actually evaluate how it all SOUNDS.

- I can understand about little time but you can do a test one day you don't have a job. In rest. Not for me. But for you. I have give this name "Working for me".

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i hear a difference when I plug my MKH-60 into a 302 or my mix pre-d or my 788t or when I used to plug into my 442. But I think a lot of it may have to do with the headphone amp, because once I heard it on screen or in a broadcast, it sounded pretty much the same.

I just got my 664 this afternoon. I'll plug in my MKH-60 and 50 and tell you how it sounds, for what it's worth.

But I think a lot of it may have to do with the headphone amp

- Yeap I agree.

because once I heard it on screen or in a broadcast, it sounded pretty much the same.

- That's the good news. It's important to hear your job especially these days. You know why.

I'll plug in my MKH-60 and 50 and tell you how it sounds, for what it's worth.

- Excellent!

:)

" NOT the opinions about these microphones BUT how performance on this mixer.

Schoeps CMIT5U

Schoeps CMC6/MK41 and MK4

Sennheiser MKH 8060 and 8050

Sennheiser MKH 60 and MKH 50 "

great

great, great

great, great

great, great

Senator, your account seem to have a virus. Your posts are all green and have a positive word repeating a lot. You should check your computer.

It would be nice if you could take your daily recorded tracks and plug in a USB Stick and down load or copy from the SD Cards direct to the USB Stick without the need for a laptop !

That way you could just give your client the files on a removable USB 8 gig stick ?

Just and Idea...??

Cheers

TVP

Gain structure on the 664 seems off? When I sent the preamp on a channel to its optimum level I seem to have to raise the main fader to about 2 o'clock to get the proper level to the masters. Just seems to me the I should have the main fader to 12 o'clock or zero.

I tried this with and without the limiters. Has anyone experienced this?

Gary

Tried the loaded bag out tonight with just the waist belt. I believe it is doable. Then I added a shoulder harness, this felt a bit more stable when walking. Most of the load was still on the waist belt. Plus the harness would allow some additional small bags, etc. for those bits and pieces we all have. Will check for RF spill also.

Lastly I had ordered an small inexpensive ($16) keyboard from Amazon. Connected it and everything worked. I will post photos after the job tomorrow.

Thanks

David

How visible is everything on the 664 when wearing a waist-belt. for someone who is somewhat less than svelt?

If you need a harness to get the kit in sight, would that make the waist belt redundant?

I have managed this with a Portabrace harness, but that was a properly integrated bit of kit, - mixing and matching may yet be the way to go though, if this works.

It'd be great if it does as the Portabrace is bulky.

Gain structure on the 664 seems off? When I sent the preamp on a channel to its optimum level I seem to have to raise the main fader to about 2 o'clock to get the proper level to the masters. Just seems to me the I should have the main fader to 12 o'clock or zero.

I tried this with and without the limiters. Has anyone experienced this?

Gary

Hi Gary,

What mic are you using? What are you recording? And what (O'Clock setting) is your trim set to?

My experiences + or - is: Schoeps CMC 641, Countryman B6, Sanken Cos 11's, while recording dialogue, my trim is at 1 O'Clock, even at 12 O'Clock in a close mic'd situation.

Cheers,

Sean O'Neil

Brooklyn NYC

" NOT the opinions about these microphones BUT how performance on this mixer.

Schoeps CMIT5U

Schoeps CMC6/MK41 and MK4

Sennheiser MKH 8060 and 8050

Sennheiser MKH 60 and MKH 50 "

great

great, great

great, great

great, great

What you think when typing this? Really. I would like to hear. Hahaha

But stay on topic.

The self-noise and noise floor it's different from MKH60 and Schoeps CMIT5U according with what mic pre amps you are using and know that. ;)

I wore the 664/CL6 plus receivers, hop transmitters and other bits in the Kortwich bag off and on for the day. I too am not lean and mean, just an old fart. I have the CL6 closest to me, so the 664 is quiet visible. It did work, I enjoyed not having a harness in my way. That being said it transferred more weight to my back and hips. I had an ESPN job a few days later and went with both the waist belt and harness. For me that distributed the weight more evenly. I feel this is the way for me. I do believe though if you had the Kortwich for just the 664 and a couple of Lectro SR receivers, then the waist belt would be perfect.

David

CS3e and CMIT5u with 664.... it doesn't suck, how's that?

If I had a choice between CS3e and CMIT5U with 664?

I don't know. You have played with this mixer.

For example

If the CS3e had 2% self-noise on 552 and on the 664 had 1% that's be interesting.

I wore the 664/CL6 plus receivers, hop transmitters and other bits in the Kortwich bag off and on for the day. I too am not lean and mean, just an old fart. I have the CL6 closest to me, so the 664 is quiet visible. It did work, I enjoyed not having a harness in my way. That being said it transferred more weight to my back and hips. I had an ESPN job a few days later and went with both the waist belt and harness. For me that distributed the weight more evenly. I feel this is the way for me. I do believe though if you had the Kortwich for just the 664 and a couple of Lectro SR receivers, then the waist belt would be perfect.

David

Great to know! Thanks David.

I'm ordering mine today...

All the best,

Steve

Finally received my 664 and CL-6 today. It's a very nice straight forward design, exactly why I choose it over the Nomad, however I will admit the programming in the Nomad is brilliant!

Regarding CF cards, I would very much like to use a 128gb card, but at present there are no cards larger than 32gb that are sanctioned by Sound Devices, and even that one card that is supposably is no longer made. I'd like to know what cards, 32gb and higher, are people successfully using WITH OUT ANY LOCK UPS! Please do not recommend any cards if you've had ANY lock ups while using them.

Thanks so much,

Tom

Finally received my 664 and CL-6 today. It's a very nice straight forward design, exactly why I choose it over the Nomad, however I will admit the programming in the Nomad is brilliant!

Regarding CF cards, I would very much like to use a 128gb card, but at present there are no cards larger than 32gb that are sanctioned by Sound Devices, and even that one card that is supposably is no longer made. I'd like to know what cards, 32gb and higher, are people successfully using WITH OUT ANY LOCK UPS! Please do not recommend any cards if you've had ANY lock ups while using them.

Thanks so much,

Tom

Tom check here.

Hi Gary,

What mic are you using? What are you recording? And what (O'Clock setting) is your trim set to?

My experiences + or - is: Schoeps CMC 641, Countryman B6, Sanken Cos 11's, while recording dialogue, my trim is at 1 O'Clock, even at 12 O'Clock in a close mic'd situation.

Cheers,

Sean O'Neil

Brooklyn NYC

Hi Sean,

It doesn't matter what the input is. On any mixing device when you have adjusted the preamp properly the main fader should be at zero to send the proper level to the master fader. This is a universal mixing setup. Unfortunately I found I had to boast the main track fader to 2 o'clock to get the proper level to the master. Has anyone else experienced this?

''Tom check here''.

..and here, for the updates :

http://forums.soundd...ed-Memory-Cards

;)

I appreciate the response, however I'm looking for a higher capacity CF card, preferably 128gb, that work without locking up on the 664. I'd probably be okay with 64gb if that's the best I can do, but 32gb is really much smaller than I'd like.

Thanks,

Tom

I appreciate the response, however I'm looking for a higher capacity CF card, preferably 128gb, that work without locking up on the 664. I'd probably be okay with 64gb if that's the best I can do, but 32gb is really much smaller than I'd like.

Thanks,

Tom

the downside of 12 tracks! still seems like very long days.....

As a starting point I'd try with Sandisk 600x (and eventually higher Class card).

Through times, that's the brand that seemed to work constantly well.

Just my opinion for what it's worth.

Well... I would, however I would hate to spend $250-$300 on a Sandisk 64gb CF card and then find out it's not compatible!

Tom