Sound Devices 664

Brian Maier

I would suggest only using the 32GB Sandisk Extreme Pro; UDMA 6; 90MB/s card since that is the only 32GB CF card that is approved and tested by Sound Devices for the 664. They will be testing more cards in time but that is what is approved as of now. Non approved cards could cause freeze ups. Beware that the Sandisk UDMA 6 card is hard to find and some online retailers are showing pictures of UDMA 6 and sending UDMA 7. B&H sent me the UDMA 7 even though their website pictured a UDMA 6 Card. FYI: 32G card recording 6 tracks at 48k 24 bit will record for 11 hours.

Andy

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would suggest only using the 32GB Sandisk Extreme Pro; UDMA 6; 90MB/s card since that is the only 32GB CF card that is approved and tested by Sound Devices for the 664. They will be testing more cards in time but that is what is approved as of now. Non approved cards could cause freeze ups. Beware that the Sandisk UDMA 6 card is hard to find and some online retailers are showing pictures of UDMA 6 and sending UDMA 7. B&H sent me the UDMA 7 even though their website pictured a UDMA 6 Card. FYI: 32G card recording 6 tracks at 48k 24 bit will record for 11 hours.

Andy

Yeah, that's the other problem, trying to find the UDMA 6. I guess I need to find a dealer that I can call and ask them to put their hands on it to confirm its really a UDMA 6.

Tom

I'm making the assumption that UDMA 7 is fine. I haven't done a job with mine yet (just got it) but I've run test files with the 32GB Sandisk Extreme Pro; UDMA 7; 90MB/s and it doesn't seem to be an issue. I understand the need for "approved" cards, but I have to imagine most of the newer "model" cards will work the same. Having to search for a card that is no longer made is not something I hope SD expects people to do.

Brian

I'm making the assumption that UDMA 7 is fine. I haven't done a job with mine yet (just got it) but I've run test files with the 32GB Sandisk Extreme Pro; UDMA 7; 90MB/s and it doesn't seem to be an issue. I understand the need for "approved" cards, but I have to imagine most of the newer "model" cards will work the same. Having to search for a card that is no longer made is not something I hope SD expects people to do.

Brian

HI Brian,

Good luck with that. That has not been my experience with that card. My 664 worked fine after recording HOURS of test recordings in the comfy confines of my house, yet froze up on location, on two different shoots with the UDMA 7 version of that card. I asked Jon Tatooles specifically if he or his team could give us some feedback on this on December 17th in the Sound Devices Forum, and am patiently awaiting some feedback.

Cheers,

Sean O'Neil

Brooklyn NYC

Lovely... I guess this is how we're going to pay for somewhat of an early adopter.

But are you sure that it was the card that was causing the freeze? I've had mine freeze already just messing with a keyboard, no CF card even inserted. Just saying that there could be many reasons for the freeze up that SD has yet to know about/solve.

Brian

Paul Issac (head software engineer) from Sound Devices recommends only using the approved cards as listed on their website. Using anything else is at your own risk. Any UDMA 7 card at this point is not approved. There might be other reasons for freeze ups besides the card but the card does play a factor.

As I mentioned early in this thread I inadvertently used a UDMA 7 card and have had freeze ups and recently switched to an approved UDMA 6 card and so far no freeze ups. Still too early to tell but hopefully that fixed the problem.

Andy

More Kortwich bag pics or how I chose to mount the Betso display. I find myself using the Betso more and more, though not enough to make it a fixture on my bag. I am still figuring out how to work things with the Kortwich and 665/CL6. So here is my take on the Betso mounting. An aluminum back plate to clamp a piece of soft clear vinyl and some industrial velcro. So far so good.

Thanks

David

post-351-0-26214800-1356304792_thumb.jpg

post-351-0-45729700-1356304803_thumb.jpg

post-351-0-87576600-1356304811_thumb.jpg

More Kortwich bag pics or how I chose to mount the Betso display. I find myself using the Betso more and more, though not enough to make it a fixture on my bag. I am still figuring out how to work things with the Kortwich and 665/CL6. So here is my take on the Betso mounting. An aluminum back plate to clamp a piece of soft clear vinyl and some industrial velcro. So far so good.

Thanks

David

Great idea thanks, I've just got mine and I'm going to do the same.

Have you used the two screw holes in the back of the Betso to attach the aluminum?

Where did you source the clear vinyl please?

I am thinking of making my own bag, anybody tried this? My wife has a commercial sewing machine but I am not sure if doing it myself is even cost effective?

I've done several repairs and have sewn a few small bags/pouches on a 1956 Singer I inherited from my mom. It's not an industrial machine, but it almost drives like one. If you count your time, sewing a bag for a 664, with compartments for your knick knacks, your RFs, your battery, and those cut outs for wiring everything, is absolutely not cost effective.

But sometimes, it's not about the money. There's of course the great DIY satisfaction, but above all, sewing is quite Zen.

So here is my take on the Betso mounting. An aluminum back plate to clamp a piece of soft clear vinyl and some industrial velcro.

I thought about the clear vinyl wrap-around, but the TCD-1 has an anti-glare surface so why make it glare when it's specifically for the camera to see? I sewed some 2" adhesive velcro onto the front of my bag and put the "hard" piece of velcro on the back of the TCD-1. No problems whatsoever and it's the most low-profile and lightweight solution. I saw that the new Petrol 617 bag has it built it, which I'm not happy about. I guess I'll just take a knife to it. Terrible idea IMHO.

I also had my Sound Devices 664 Freeze yesterday on shoot. Using approved 1.02 software, 16 gig CF card. 4 tracks recording, 3 sec pre roll, 48k 16 bit. SD card recording MP3 at 320. Freeze occurred while using PFL buttons. Mixer continued to function in frozen state in last settings. Could not change volumes and none of the functions worked but still passed audio. Could not stop recorder until I disconnected power and removed batteries. Have not checked to see if the media was corrupted. Very disappointing. I've trusted SD gear to always work and now I've lost that confidence. Had to stop production and may have lost 40 mins of audio in show. Does not reflect well for audio department and excuses don't cut it with post.

Brooks stick the card in your computer it should all be there up till the freeze or a few seconds before. I had a few 552 freezes early on and all the audio was still on card. Just curious why you were recording mp3 instead of a 2nd card with bwav. Things happens just like with all products as firmware gets more advanced it will get more stable.

Same remember a lot of people saying you don't get this problem with SD

Hmmmm. That's odd I didn't think that SD machines ever crashed. I thought that they worked perfect 100% of the time and only Zax machines crashed.

Hey Guys, Could you please don't go there on this thread. If you have something to say regarding your unhappiness about past comments made about a Zaxcom product could you start your own post and label it as such. I, like others I know have posted very little on this forum about their 664 experience because of the fear of it turning into a Sound Device / Zaxcom bashing frenzy. It's too bad many of us feel this way.

Thanks,

Andy