Sound Devices 664

Brian Maier

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, not as obvious as I thought either. Credit another local sound guy for telling me: push the PFL to the right once, then push it to the right AGAIN. That should bring up the edit keyboard with the current entry.

Brian

OK, I get it now - but the second time you have to keep it pushed right for a second or so, before the command actually kicks in. Not intuitive at all, but very handy to have, once you realize how to do it.

Thanks again,

BK

I doubt that could be changed: at that time when we were waiting for the 7xx series I asked the same question and what I understood at that time is that it would necessitate a hardware change so I guess if the unit wasn't designed with that idea in mind from the drawing board, you can forget about it since it may be more than just a software update...

I doubt that could be changed: at that time when we were waiting for the 7xx series I asked the same question and what I understood at that time is that it would necessitate a hardware change so I guess if the unit wasn't designed with that idea in mind from the drawing board, you can forget about it since it may be more than just a software update...

Correct.

• 4 weeks later...

Simon,

That is incorrect in the manual.

Inputs 1 and 6 can be assigned to X1/X2 Pre or Post fade. Inputs 2 - 5 are Post Fade when assigned to X1/X2.

Either way the pre fade only routing of Ch 2-5 is pretty silly.  I spoke to Sound Devices tech support yesterday and they tell me that it is physically possible to have all channels pre or post fader, as the hardware exists in the unit, but it's not a software option they plan on offering.  I hope they will reconsider.  I'd really love to be able to send 3 different comtek feeds from different channels and still be able to mix with faders and not have my comtek feeds messed with.  

For reality TV with multiple things happening with pairs of people at the same to and a couple ADs following different stories, this is sometimes a necessity.  Just my 2 cents.  Anyone else want to chime in on that an get this request rolling?  Perhaps it's better moved over to the SD forum for feature requests, but since we're talking 664 already....

Either way the pre fade only routing of Ch 2-5 is pretty silly.  I spoke to Sound Devices tech support yesterday and they tell me that it is physically possible to have all channels pre or post fader, as the hardware exists in the unit, but it's not a software option they plan on offering.  I hope they will reconsider.  I'd really love to be able to send 3 different comtek feeds from different channels and still be able to mix with faders and not have my comtek feeds messed with.  

For reality TV with multiple things happening with pairs of people at the same to and a couple ADs following different stories, this is sometimes a necessity.  Just my 2 cents.  Anyone else want to chime in on that an get this request rolling?  Perhaps it's better moved over to the SD forum for feature requests, but since we're talking 664 already....

The information you received from the techs on the phone is incorrect. 

There is no circuitry in the 664 to send a signal pre-fade to either Auxiliary track from inputs 2 - 5.  This was a decision made in the design phase to simplify the board layout.

We will make sure the phone techs are made aware of this.

The information you received from the techs on the phone is incorrect.

There is no circuitry in the 664 to send a signal post-fade to either Auxiliary track. This was a decision made in the design phase to simplify the board layout.

We will make sure the phone techs are made aware of this.

Okay. I'm confused. I can send all channels to the auxs post fader on my 664, however I can ONLY send channels 1 & 6 to the auxs pre fade.

I find that quite acceptable seeing we have pre fade direct outs available to us, HOWEVER I do wish when using the CL6 that we could individually select, on a channel by channel basis, to use the direct outs as EITHER additional inputs or as direct outs. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe it's an all of nothing choice right now.

Are you sure you didn't mean to say that you can't do a PRE FADER send to the auxs on channels 2-5?

Tom

.... The information you received from the techs on the phone is incorrect. There is no circuitry in the 664 to send a signal pre-fade to either Auxiliary track from inputs 2 - 5. This was a decision made in the design phase to simplify the board layout. We will make sure the phone techs are made aware of this.
This makes me so sad. A very odd hardware decision indeed. What will I do with 2 pre fade sends at either end of my mixer? Almost makes them pointless.

This makes me so sad. A very odd hardware decision indeed. What will I do with 2 pre fade sends at either end of my mixer? Almost makes them pointless.

Sandor,

I'm just curious. How often and for what application would you need all the inputs to routable as pre fade to the auxs? Of course I'd like to have that option too but, for me, if I was wanting a pre fader send, it would probably be for a single channel, in which case I'd use a direct out. Perhaps there's an application I'm not considering.

Tom

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/891297-REG/Sound_Devices_664_Six_Channel_Portable_Production.html

Just to let people know that B&H video have 664 in stock. The odd think is that in the "What is in the box" tab  says that an Hirose 4 pin external DC  adapter is included !

I really doubt that, but I suppose they "might" have some special "deal".

Tom

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/891297-REG/Sound_Devices_664_Six_Channel_Portable_Production.html

Just to let people know that B&H video have 664 in stock. The odd think is that in the "What is in the box" tab  says that an Hirose 4 pin external DC  adapter is included !

I ordered my 664 from B&H and there was no external power adapter included.

Sandor, I'm just curious. How often and for what application would you need all the inputs to routable as pre fade to the auxs? Of course I'd like to have that option too but, for me, if I was wanting a pre fader send, it would probably be for a single channel, in which case I'd use a direct out. Perhaps there's an application I'm not considering. Tom
Tom, you're right that in some cases one channel pre fade for multi language shoots and such would be fine. for the show I'm working on there are multiple talent, and the AD wants to be able to monitor a couple pairs of them and control them individually. This is no different than aux sends on a proper board. I should be able to use them for whatever I need. Using the direct outs requires either custom summing cables or another piece of gear to mix down channel groups before sending to whoever is monitoring. How would you feel if you bought a console mixer and found out after that only 2 of your 20 channels had an aux send that worked, the rest of the knobs were just for show? I'd think it was some kind of error in manufacturing and be pretty confused.

• 2 weeks later...

Quick question for all you 664 users out there:

I was wondering if anyone ever had access to the "Space Bar" when naming Folders (Top, Middle or Bottom Level) 

The Space bar is 'Greyed out' when trying to name a folder for me and for what ever reason I thought I had access to the space bar when naming folders on previous occasions. Is it just me and i'm confusing access to the space bar with saving pre-sets or is it another issue.

Thanks guys.