Sound Devices 664

Brian Maier

Read rate?

I've done 10 tracks on my Fusion many times with Transcend 133x but that may be an advantage of MARF over FAT32, I've never seen that discussed i.e. that MARF can work with a lower write speed than FAT32.

That's correct there are no speed restrictions for Fusion or Nomad.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Steve the problem with cards it's "writable" again and again.

If you selling your card in one production at the next time will go to other mixer and say: "I not necessary to bring your cards. We have." And you open a conversation after with a producer why it's necessary to bring your cards. Mess

Seeking your opinions on an issue- kind of a reality check for me 'cause I find their attitude disappointing and maybe other mixers do not. There's a known issue in the monitoring circuit of the 664. It's not a huge deal because it's only monitoring. SD admits they're aware of it but put it on the backburner. Does this attitude bother anyone else? On the one hand I understand they're dealing with other issues but on the other hand... two months and no fix? Here's the thread in the SD forum (sorry- you have to register to get in the forum):

http://forum.sounddevices.com/showthread.php?3919-return-monitoring-L-R-Mono-confusion

Thanks for your thoughts.

Maybe we just put our foot down and start selling media cards to the clients, just like reels of 7" or DAT tapes. Make 10-15% per card. No waiting around for the DIT to transfer!!!

Steve Wytas

www.audio911.com

If you can make 15% on a card that's cost you anywhere between $300 and $900 you must have a very soft touch producer.

Malcolm Davies. A.m.p.s.

Seeking your opinions on an issue- kind of a reality check for me 'cause I find their attitude disappointing and maybe other mixers do not. There's a known issue in the monitoring circuit of the 664. It's not a huge deal because it's only monitoring. SD admits they're aware of it but put it on the backburner. Does this attitude bother anyone else? On the one hand I understand they're dealing with other issues but on the other hand... two months and no fix? Here's the thread in the SD forum (sorry- you have to register to get in the forum):

http://forum.soundde...-Mono-confusion

Okay... nobody cares I get it.

Maybe we just put our foot down and start selling media cards to the clients, just like reels of 7" or DAT tapes. Make 10-15% per card. No waiting around for the DIT to transfer!!!

Steve Wytas

www.audio911.com

I have "sold" SD cards to producers, for a modest markup (5-10%) if they want to bolt and not wait for the transfer. I keep the CF card(s), which I routinely back up on a hard drive at the office, in case something funky happens with the SD. Which has happened - and I look like a hero when they call me in a panic.

BK

Okay... nobody cares I get it.

I do care. In fact I have wrote to sound devices a couple month ago to notify this issue. I hope they will come up soon with a new firmware that fixes this issue. Waiting for it I am using the HP user presets where you can assign return (A, B, C) left (or right) to both ears by using the mono switch. But this is a silly way to do it as you are not even using the return switch.

About the CF card. When I got my 664 I first used card I owned before. It turns out that my Kingston ultimate 266x 32GB did worked fine. It was always giving me writing errors, even with low tracks number (3-4 tracks recorded)

Now I own the recommended Delkin CF 700x 32GB which works great.

I often give the SD card to the wrangler at the end of the day. Usually they have a SD card reader integrated in the body of their macbook pro so they can simultaneously copy my media from SD and the camera media from CF. It sames some time at the end of a long day...

I'm sure SD knows of it's importance, however we don't know what goes into these firmware updates, testing, etc. I'd much rather a stable firmware update than many smaller ones or unstable ones causing other issues.

I would recommend that you send a formal inquiry through their website if you haven't already (http://www.sounddevices.com/support/inquiry/). I'm sure it can't hurt to have more documented requests.

I think many have taken to message boards, Facebook, etc. to voice their concerns. That is fair to bring these up but also helpful to make sure you've sent these requests directly to SD as well.

I've been using my 664 for a couple months and it's been what I'd expect from SD - a solid reliable machine day after day. I've encountered my first issue though and wonder if anyone else has had the same thing happen. I was using the 3.5mm headphone jack and it broke off from the casing and is now loose. It's clearly not that a threaded ring worked it's way off but that the jack on the case broke away and it's now dangling by it's leads inside the case. I don't recall yanking the headphone plug or dropping the bag on it's side at any time.

Do you by chance use the Petrol 617 bag? I normally use the 1/4", but I ran a duplex cable for a boom op and utilized the the 1/8" for my own cans this week and noticed that the bag divider presses on the headphone cable while I'm wearing the 617 with my harness. Just emailed Petrol to see if they have any suggestions. I'm using HD-25s with a right angle connector which unfortunately doesn't have enough clearance.

Do you by chance use the Petrol 617 bag? I normally use the 1/4", but I ran a duplex cable for a boom op and utilized the the 1/8" for my own cans this week and noticed that the bag divider presses on the headphone cable while I'm wearing the 617 with my harness. Just emailed Petrol to see if they have any suggestions. I'm using HD-25s with a right angle connector which unfortunately doesn't have enough clearance.

Maybe this connector with a small cable to contra mini jack:

Posted Image