Sound Devices 664

Brian Maier

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A step in the right direction as far as design for people who don't like nomads interface...I guess SD reads suggestion by me and Tom Visser on this forum...It only needs a cl WiFi for metadata and to loose at least a pound.

I don't understand why put pan the pan knobs in a multiple output solution...

For the same reason there are pan knobs on every multi track console input strip. Now you figure it out.

Eric

Anyone notice that this recorder does max 48 & 48.048 K Sample Rate. I'm speechless ...

yep. Probably not the only feature it is missing compared to the 788T.

It's a mixer with recording, not a 700 series recorder.

That should keep it running a lot cooler than the 788, and probably improved battery life.

Anyone heard what the connectors on the back ("COM") are for?

phil p

http://www.sounddevices.com/products/664/key-features/

I would guess that is the dedicated com channel mentioned 4th from bottom. If you look really close and turn up the monitor brightness you can just make out send and return on the 2 connectors.

I'm not speechless at all over the "lack" of higher sample rates. As johnpaul says, it's a mixer with ISO recording. It's designed specifically for bag/some cart or ENG work, IE dialog recording I've never recorded any dialog in any other sample rate than 48000.. So.. I don't really see the problem.

Those SFX recording guys can still use their 702 or other mixers that can do 192khz, like the Maxx for example.

yep. Probably not the only feature it is missing compared to the 788T.

It's a mixer with recording, not a 700 series recorder.

That should keep it running a lot cooler than the 788, and probably improved battery life.

Yes, not as many outputs, but probably plenty enough for most folks. I wonder if the CL6 can be attached to the bottom as well, as with CL8? I'd like that config better.

phil p

As an aside, wouldn't it be nice if SD made metallized Carbon Fibre top and bottom panels available for the 7 series? I'm all for keeping the weight down and every little helps, to say nothing of the cool look...

John

The case dissipates heat. Not sure if carbon fiber would perform that function. Guessing no.

Yes, not as many outputs, but probably plenty enough for most folks. I wonder if the CL6 can be attached to the bottom as well, as with CL8? I'd like that config better.

phil p

Q: How do I attach the CL-6? Is it difficult?

A: No. The CL-6 directly attaches to either the top or the bottom of the 664 using the CL-6's ribbon cable. Once connected, the direct outputs of the 664 can be changed to line-level inputs 7-12 via input menus.

So SD are back in the game. I presume they put everything in their 664 that many kept pushing Zaxcom to add to the Nomad feature set (file naming, pfl switches etc, plus this will probably be delivered will all announced features)

Serious competition for the Nomad. I think this will bring them back some fanboys that they lost to Zaxcom over the last months.

I hope Zaxcom will give the right answer: To implement into Nomad what many (potential) users have begged them for: (scene/take) file naming option, rec time counter, the announced USB keyboard (an answer to the 664+CL-Wifi+Metadata-App???) etc.

By the way, I'd be interested to hear how well the 664's limiters work. After NeverClip SD surely will have put better limiters into the 664 than the 552?

About the shipping dates of the 664:

There is some conflicting information about projected delivery dates. The information Trew Audio has from Sound Devices is that only store demos of the 664 are expected to ship in late September, and reseller stock (product available for selling to customers) will begin shipping some time in October. This was just now confirmed by a conversation with Sound Devices, and is why the Trew Audio online store mentions the SD-664 as being available in October (http://www.trewaudio.com/store/Sound-Devices-664-Portable-Six-Channel-Mixer.html).

Sound Devices has historically been pretty good about being close to their projected shipping dates, and reasonably soon after having product available to meet demand. So those who want to be among the first, you can place your order now to hold your place in line. For those who want to wait a while to make sure any bugs are sorted out, I think it's a safe bet to plan to purchase before the end of the year for tax considerations.

Glen Trew

Ha I just bought a nomad days ago!

Looks like main feature differences

NM auto mixer (not yet released)

SD side xlr ports (if thats your thing)

MN wireless ifb transmitter

MN zaxnet

SD price point for recording tracks

NM weight size

SD more knobs to twist!

what am I missing?

nomad offers 2 notch filters maybe steeper highpass filter

nomad has 10 sek Prerecord which I do not find on 664 specs

internal soundreport?

Input linking - M/S Stereo headphone matrix?

I also called SD:

- 48k max sample rate.

- No CL-9 compatibility (though they admitted they've been asked that more than once already).

- No idea if Petrol will make a bag.

- Will indeed record MP3s, not sure if it can "replace track" with LTC like the 552 does.

Looks great, just wish they would have crammed it all in the same foot print of the current 552.

I also called SD:

- 48k max sample rate.

- No CL-9 compatibility (though they admitted they've been asked that more than once already).

- No idea if Petrol will make a bag.

- Will indeed record MP3s, not sure if it can "replace track" with LTC like the 552 does.

Looks great, just wish they would have crammed it all in the same foot print of the current 552.

That is my only complaint. Still going to buy one though. 8)

Like a bunch of giddy kid on Christmas we are over the 664, but if we were to tell anybody outside of sound about this new piece of equipment, they would think we had a slinky on a string. I can't wait to order mine, but will wait til it is really shipping. Wish others could look as this like a new camera model. But at lease the in and outs are full-size xlr's and 10 pins. Don't have to buy any new cables. YA!

Scott....