Venue add on - request

Phil Palmer

I recently traded a couple of emails with Larrry Fisher at Lectro regarding the Venue System and the possibility of a remote interface.  The unit can be remotely monitored by the LecNet software, however this require the use of a Laptop or PC, running Windows.  My thoughts are more on the lines of a remote interface with the LCD screen and buttons only.  This will allow for the rack to be placed anywhere on the cart, not necessarily in the line of sight.

Larry spoke with his engineers and they gave the quick determination that the interface would cause too much RF.  However, I have seen remote interfaces for many products in the audio world, and they seem to work.  It just requires the time for design.  If there is a consensus of users who would be interested in such an interface, perhaps those at Lectro might find the time to design it.

Any thougts?

Perhaps I have mis-represented my request.  A wired remote is what I'm suggesting.  A simple, wired extension of the front panel.

This will allow for the unit to be placed anywhere on the cart, even out of sight.

It was my understanding from Larry, that the wired remote would have RF issues in the cable that would be problematic with the Venue system.  Perhaps he was mistaken by my request as well...I'll give him another try...

Perhaps I have mis-represented my request.  A wired remote is what I'm suggesting.  A simple, wired extension of the front panel.

This will allow for the unit to be placed anywhere on the cart, even out of sight.

It was my understanding from Larry, that the wired remote would have RF issues in the cable that would be problematic with the Venue system.  Perhaps he was mistaken by my request as well...I'll give him another try...

Why not something like a midi interface (eg. Yamaha Studio Manager) where you could set parameters offline and then upload settings, and/or monitor or control the majority of the system via USB/Firewire connection with a computer? I don't have that much field experience with the SM interface to ascertain RF problems, if any, but it IS being done out there...so what exactly is the difference?

EB

Phillip,

Get what your trying to accomplish, and it all makes sense in trying to keep things small on the cart.  Have you given any thought to a Palm type PC.  Small as your looking for, and more full featured.  Fairly cheap at probabaly under $500 and it exists at a computer store near you!

Plus it is leaves Larry and his minions time to design the Lectro backpack system in which the well adorned audio engineer can wear 24 channels on our back and with optional Sound Devices/Deva/Cantar/Fostex/Nagra (did I leave anyone out) modules be able to record and post all your audio before your talent even says anything.

Just a thought.

Gerry Formicola

Chicago, Illinois