Dynamic Equipment List for website

Richard Ragon

I recently did some upgrades to my website, and I want to share some 'behind the scene' feature that normally, no one would ever know about.

When I first created my site, I had a equipment list for producers on my website, and a equipment list for print (pdf), and yet another for insurance. As my equipment has changed over the years, it became just really tedious to make small changes to all these list, and subsequently, just really put me off for making the list accurate sometimes, because I would have to make a changes to all the list.

So, I came up with a solution to this. Basically, I create a single XML data file that puts all gear into categories, and list the details like type, serials, quality, etc. This base XML list can be seen right here.

http://good4sound.co...ipment_list.xml

This list is pretty easy to edit, and it's human readable. Now, here is the twist.. Each time you go to my website and load the equipment page, the website reads my XML, and dynamically creates it for display on my website in HTML format. Here is the dynamic page.

http://good4sound.co...ipment_list.php

Now.. also, lets say someone wants to print up this, there's a link at the bottom of the list, that also dynamically creates a PDF file, with the same data from the XML file. Here's the dynamic PDF link.

http://good4sound.co...df.php?type=pdf

And.. one more.. Lets say I want to create a PDF with serial numbers.. Here's the dynamic link for the PDF with the serial numbers.

http://good4sound.co...type=pdf_serial

Anyway.. Thought you guys might be interested on something like this for your websites. If anyone wants this system for their website, I don't have a problem giving you all my source PHP files (free), but I don't want to work on your website, so you'll have to do your own php programing or hire someone to do that. Your welcome to my files, if you want to see how I did it.. just pm or email me.

-Richard

Cool solution - but as i dont change out my gear too often, its too much of a hassle to set up a system for managing it. I have an excel spreadsheet with all the same info as yours typed in. That does the trick for me.

I programmed a rental management system not too long ago for a client, using barcodes to register all the gear, and keep track of what was in stock, when rented things had to be returned, and who handled the gear going in and out. Pretty neat solution, and very easy to use.

Cool solution - but as i dont change out my gear too often, its too much of a hassle to set up a system for managing it. I have an excel spreadsheet with all the same info as yours typed in. That does the trick for me.

I thought this same way.. I even made 1000 business cards with my equipment list on the back.. well it didn't take very long before I realized that was a mistake.

We live in a ever changing, accelerated technology field. One small change, starts a landslide.. you will see..

-Richard

I've thought about this Bash, and early on published a .pdf sans address and using my Google Voice telephone number; easier to block unwanted #'s and harder to trace to name/address with GV is my thinking. I could be ignorantly naive in this.

For sure don't want to web-publish for easy access a list that contains serial #'s. Guess one could password protect such a thing...

Useful if anyone wants to know what is available for stealing methinks? Have you thought about that Richard?

Kindest,

sb

Useful if anyone wants to know what is available for stealing methinks? Have you thought about that Richard?

Kindest,

sb

Thievery is less of a pass-time here as it is in the UK. And I say that with great love of country.

On that subject, do you secure your gear in a van in a garage in the UK? I understand transport is often the responsibility of the mixer, even on longer jobs. I am a little concerned with security of my gear. Currently I have an individually alarmed storage unit.

Thievery is less of a pass-time here as it is in the UK. And I say that with great love of country.

On that subject, do you secure your gear in a van in a garage in the UK? I understand

transport is often the responsibility of the mixer, even on longer jobs. I am a little concerned with security of my gear. Currently I have an individually alarmed storage unit.

I only know a couple of mixers here in the UK who don't provide a sound vehicle as its generally recognised that it's your responsibility

My van security cost me just over $3000.00 and this included Alarm, Imobiliser, 5 lever Deadlocks on every door, and a Traking device.

Consequently my equipment insurance policy allows me to keep any equipment in the van without having to garage it.

You get what you pay for.