New Orleans

Tom Maloney

Maybe you could try pm'ing Dan Izen ?

Also, there's a thread about restaurants from around the world that might be useful if something has been written about New Orleans.

I went there in 1994 for work; enjoyed every second of it ! But there's probably been some changes since then.

But I'm sure you can still ''laisser les bons temps rouler'' over there :-D

Have a nice trip Tom!

I was in NOLA a few years ago on a business trip. Walked into a place called K-Paul's. At 4:30 there were only a few people there but it got busy fast. As we were leaving, the crowds had showed up and the line went down the block. I found out later the place was owned by Paul Prudomme. Excellent food and service.

Better yet,, do not get off the beaten path. Yes, take the streetcar up St. Charles...eat at Jacque-Imo no matter what...while it has been discovered it is still a locals spot. the bar next door is a good place to hang while waiting on a table and the front door staff will come over to get you if you tell them you are there. Cafe Dumonde for sure...I like the spicy fried chicken at Coop's. Really it is hard to get a bad meal in NOLA!!!

When in NOLA on location several years ago, made it a point to find older, small, local businesses in which to hang out and chat to learn where the real people eat. One spot was an old shoe repair shop where I got a shine and time to talk. The other was a laundromat owned/operated by a lady in her 80's who not only regaled me with local history, but pointed me in the right direction for eats. But I'm rather an accidental tourist...

If you want to stay off the beaten path...

Mimi's in the Merigny - great food and drink

Yuki Izakaya on Frenchman for amazing food of that style, if you're into it.

Parkway Bakery Mid-City for best PoBoy sandwiches in town hands down.

Juan's Flying Burrito - interesting and delicious spin on Southwestern cuisine. And cheap. There are two. Both are good, but one between warehouse district and garden district is in a fun neighborhood.

Coulis is a MUST for breakfast/brunch. It's near garden district by a hospital.

And if you're a carnivore - Couchon is a good restaurant with a deli behind it which serves lunch sandwiches with exotic meats. Almost no seating at the deli, but that's ok.

If you want the BEST food in town, and are willing to pay the price, NOLA restaurant has been that place for many many years. Make a reservation soon!

If you are able to get away from downtown check out Jack Dempsey's. It's an old style neighborhood New Orleans restaurant. Great fried seafood and amazing Mac and Cheese. Friendly folks and huge portions. This is where the locals eat.

I also like Lucy's Retired Surfer Bar. Nice little hang out with good food.

" So Senator......are you saying........"it depends?" "

I'm just saying there are so very many places to see, and foods to try in NOLA that, yes, it depends on what one is looking for, what one's tastes are...

What were outstanding memorable joints to me, may not be for others, and with sooooo many places to select from, and soooo much information readily available,

yep....

Hey if so many of you come to NOLA why haven't any of you said hello? Jeez! Actually some of you have and that's cool; I love to meet new people so if any of you come please say hello!

I must not be a food enthusiast because I haven't been to half those places mentioned! Also I generally don't eat seafood, including shrimp and crawfish. I'm also mostly non-dairy (weird allergy not lactose intolerance [i don't know why but I feel it's important to clarify this]).

Here's my list:

Boucherie - they have 6 or 7 items on the menu, and you will find something amazing. The Duck Confit. The Duck Confit. I can remember every bite of this marvel of a dish. My saliva glands freak out when I even think about it. I've had duck confit in many other places after having it here, and they all were basically tasteless. If you don't love it I'd go straight to the emergency room and get tested because something's definitely going to be wrong with you. This place was opened by two supercool dudes James & Nathan who I first met when they catered a movie I did in 2008. Right after that they opened this place. Same dudes operate the purple food truck that's always in front of Tipitina's, though that truck I hear focuses on barbecue. A year or so ago, Nathan was randomly attacked and shot twice as he was setting up the purple truck. Once in the chest and once in the gut, but he fully recovered! I saw him a few months later and he was a happy man. Make this your first dinner stop.

Cochon - slightly fancy but in fact it occurs to me that a worthy goal would be to have eaten every item on the menu before death.

Butcher - (same building as Cochon) hipstery meat-lover's joint, DELICIOUS in every way.

Willie Mae's Scotch House - #1 Fried Chicken according to Food Network at one point. Even my mom ate it and she has never eaten fried chicken in my presence before. (There's another place right by this one on Orleans that is a great family style place, I forget the name!)

K Paul's - legendary local, but I haven't been yet I'm quite ashamed to say.

Lebanon's - awesome Lebanese that Lebanese people say is awesome. (Around the corner from Boucherie)

Coop's is in the FQ, but is worth it. GREAT fried gator.

Drago's in Metairie - if you love oysters. The location in downtown is considered to be not as good, but I can't confirm that.

Gene's Po-Boy shop is open 24-hrs and is pretty awesome. Very local. It did get held up the other day though.

The Joint - best barbeque in the city. Edit: This is not true! I don't know what place I was thinking of.

Irene's is overrated in my opinion, as is Commander's Palace. I would save my money. I have always wanted to go to Antoin's though - it's the oldest restaurant in the country! Camellia Grill is a place I always forget about but I've been wanting to go there ever since my uncle told me went there a long time ago and loved it.

That's pretty pathetic I should know way more places! A 1st AC who came here recently said he only took the job to complete this list he had made. 20 or 30 places he wanted to eat here. Each weekend he checked off wherever he went. He planned a food vacation here. I found that weird, but cool.

Not being a sugar fiend I find beignets utterly disgusting, but hanging out at Cafe Dummond is pretty cool. I just wish they had more stuff on the menu. Everyone told me to go get those and when they came it was basically like eating 20 packets of sugar. Those things are inedible to me, but if you love sugar you'll be in heaven with those beignets.

What Miss McL says is brilliant! I think I'll do that everywhere I go. And thanks for the shout out Boom Boom. There are several other nice fellows who live here on this site who should totally chime in. I'm not an authority at ALL I've only been here 4 years; I stay from Kailua!

Dan Izen

Edited by Izen Ears

• 2 weeks later...