Blimps... Rycote vs. Rode

Geoff Tirrell

In the tradition of Batman vs. Superman and Star-Treck vs. Star-Wars......

Which one and why. It is about time to replace my old Rycote blimp and I just want to test the waters and see what others think of some of the competition that has come on the market over the past few years. I will preface this with the fact that I have never used the Rode product so I really have no idea what to expect.

The rode ghas a lot of good features. I like the fact that you can slide the suspensions on the bar, which makes a very flexible blimp, as opposed to the relatively fixed settings of the rycote.

I also like that the cable is inside the blimp itself.

But the rode is very heavy. And big. And the locking mechanism is inferior to the rycote.

Sound wise I'd say the rode is just a bit better than the old style rycote.. Lyres are superior of course.

I don't regret buying mine, but if I had purchased now, I wouldn't. By the time I bought it, an NTG3 also followed in the purchase, or the other way around..

Oh it irks me so when people spell Rode wrong...

The Rode blimp is a lot bigger and a bit heavier but easier to reposition and strip down quickly with its quick release handle lock and spring loaded thumb screws. However it doesn't have the same build quality as Rycote. The quicklock handle joint on mine sometimes slips with sudden boom movements and the connector that goes into the mic is not a snug fit. It has some play in it which is heard as little clicks in the mic. I'd recommend changing the chunky cable that ships with the Rode blimp with a thinner cable and Neutrik connectors. You have to solder it in yourself though because the cable runs through a small gap in the handle and has connector on each end that won't fit through. I don't believe you'd hear a difference in the sound of the two blimps as they are meant to be acoustically transparent but the deadcat you put over the top might colour the sound a bit. I think you'd get more life out of a Rycote.

I bought a Rode, replaced it with a Rycote very quickly. The Rode now rarely gets used, it is big, heavy and has required glue to be added to both of the thumbscrews to keep them them in place. The Rycote with lyres is not only solid, but it's lighter and is a much quieter suspension. Honestly, I can't recommend the Rode.

It's also worth looking at the Cinela and K-Tek Zeppelins.

The Rode cable is totally removeable/replaceable without cutting or having to solder the cable in place.

Yes it is, you just have to lever out the rubber element of the pistol grip so it can't be done in a rush.

Ok so other question on the roycote's what can anybody tell me about the new s-series vs the traditional windshield. As I understand it the s series is basically a softie glued over a frame so it is not removable. In terms of actual use quality and what not I have never worked with anything other than the standard roycote blimps and the occasional softie.

Like others mention, the Rode is HEAVY and bulky. Even after removing the conecting cable in the handle, it is still HEAVY. The material used is inferior to the Rycote. It feels cheap and flimsy. However, it is a good bag for the buck if you're on a budget. If you can afford the Rycote, you should go that route.

I have both too. The Rode is a lot cheaper, works fine mount-wise and stops wind well. It feels bigger, is certainly heavier, and runs its cable through a pistol grip which adds to the weight and size. When I've used mine I can feel the diff in weight right away re my Rycote stuff. But it does the job, you'll just be sweating a little more while you do it. Great price for something that works as well as it does. I actually think it's pretty well made, esp when you consider how much more expensive Rycote gear is.

phil p

I suppose, looking back, given the choice of working with or without a full windscreen on a budget, then the Rode would be fine.

But I use my 50 outside a lot, and the appropriate size smaller Rycote would be very hard to give up for a very large Rode. It's even bigger than my CMIT Rycote, which can sure bend a pole.

Another Rycote over Rode anyday vote here. Ive owned both and the Rode is def a clunkier solution. If money is an issue with the full Rycote kit, get the S series.

Wow there is actually much more consensus on this than I would have thought. And no money is not an issue in this case, I just don't know if there are any advantages to the S series that I don't know about.

Rode has always struck me as an odd company and I always find myself a bit leery of them. It just seems like they make what would be really nice products but for a lack of refinement. The weight on the zeppelin, the lav mic that does not do well at all hidden, etc.

Its really quite odd because I find myself wanting to like them but for these kinds of things.