Faulty Remote Audio BDS?

Ed Denton

I think I've pinpointed my "power stress" situation to using two SMQV's in 250mw mode. Once in awhile, one of those will go thoroughly stupid (or turn off), and/or the BDS4 will go dead. What's interesting is that it does this whether I use a separate 12VDC cable for each or a combo Y-split cable. Happened once today -- reset the battery and all came up fine. All other outlets were fine -- only this one choked.

Marc, when the master fuse trips, it sometimes requires that you disconnect and then reconnect the DC input to the box to "reset" the fuse. This is normal. In your case, it could be that the master fuse needs to be replaced but we can't be certain until we run a few tests. Also, the master toggle switch in the v3 has failed on occasion so that may be the source of the power up issue you describe, but again it's hard to diagnose.

Bernie, your issue is also difficult to diagnose. You could have a conflict with your power source, there could be an intermittant short in the system, or you could have an issue with your master toggle. If it is causing you headaches, you can send it in and we'd be happy to look it over. Just give us a call for a return authorization number (615-256-3513).

This started happening since I put my Nomad into the bag, and at almost the same time a Lectro D-4. It works most of the time but when it doesn't it only takes turning it off and then back on. If it didn't turn back on after that then I'd be worried. I'm thinking it might be the master switch itself, since it always comes back. The switch is facing up in my bag and it could be dirt or dust getting in there from the home improvement shows I work on a lot. I should send it in, but I don't have a back up for it which I know I should have anyway.

I wonder if this in-rush current issue will present itself with the 664? And since it looks like the batteries are the issue and not the BDS, I assume the problem would persist with the OPs setup even if he used PSC BDS system instead?

Yes I'd be interested in knowing whether this as well because I am about to order a 664. I am confident that the problem is in the batteries but brought on by the surge of start-up current draw from the 552. I would really like to avoid this problem in my new 664.

Many thanks to Stephen Reter and all the guys at Remote Audio for their advice and testing and general help in diagnosing this problem.

Hi Ed,

Thanks for bringing up this issue. I always have a fear when hearing about a possible problem, about how long it has been going on prior to being reported.

It seems that the problem could be at the battery end, but the BDS v3 and BDS v4 are different from previous versions in that the output current is not going through the switch, which just controls the ON/OFF circuit that does actually pass the operating current. I want to check and make sure there is not a condition in which a voltage drop caused by the in-rush current of certain devices can cause this circuit to malfunction.

I will be in the shop Monday, so hopefully I can post the results later that day.

Glen Trew

I wonder if BDS V5 could have two switches operating two groups of outputs, mixer then other bits and bobs???

A lot of people accomplish this by simply running two batteries. For example, an NP1 in a cup wired directly to the mixer and a second NP1 powering a BDS which is powering the bits and bobs.

I've been doing this setup for quite a while and it works well.

Why not just use switched vs. unswitched option on BDSv4 & BDSv4u to power mixer? That's the entire point of that feature. You can turn off everything but the mixer, and then power it all back on later. I'd hate carrying two NP-1s...

From Remote Audio:

Switch vs. Unswitched Outlet

The indicated outlet can be either “switched” or “unswitched.” “Switched” means that the outlet turns off and on via the main toggle switch. “Unswitched” means that the outlet is always on when power is present. The factory default for that outlet is “unswitched.” This feature is often desired for the audio mixer. For example, in this configuration, when only the mixer and boom mic are needed, turning off the BDS box will turn everything off (receivers, etc.) except for the mixer. This is a convenient way to turn off unnecessary items and extend the life of the battery. The status of the outlet can be easily reversed to "switched" by sliding the nearby switch using a toothpick or jeweler’s screwdriver. Note: When using a metal tool to change the switch position, make sure the BDS is powered off to eliminate the possibility of short-circuits.

Why not just use switched vs. unswitched option on BDSv4 & BDSv4u to power mixer? That's the entire point of that feature. You can turn off everything but the mixer, and then power it all back on later. I'd hate carrying two NP-1s...

Doh, I've carried 3 or 4 in some situations! When you're running 4 wireless receivers, plus a 788, plus two camera hops, plus a Comtek xmitter, it can and will blow through batteries every few hours, especially in continuous use. I agree, having the ability to kill everything other than the recorder is useful, and it's one of the big selling points for the RM switch and voltage readout.

Yeah lots of guys carry one or two extra NP-1s in a back pocket, and every mixer I know of has at least two or three NP-1s for each day. I meant that I wouldn't want any more batteries in the bag at one time than necessary due to weight. For instance, you don't carry 3 or 4 NP-1s in your bag at the same time to power multiple items, do you? That's what I was referring to.

• 3 weeks later...

Have the same problem using the 552 with just 1 411a. Batteries are NP1s from batteries4broadcast. Another workaround is to simply wait a few seconds, and switch my BDS v3 on again. That always works for me as the problem only happened upon the initial power up for the day, and wouldn't happen for the rest of the day. Batteries4broadcast swapped out my batteries and the problem persisted. The problem never occurred when I used my BDS on the cart in conjunction with a PSC Power Station. I have the RM meter so I could see the initial current draw of the 552. So I concluded that it must be the 552 in conjunction with the NP1. I've just learned to live with it.

• 2 months later...

glad i found this discussion. i was on a job last week. i have the 552 the 744 and 4 wireless all on the bds and anIDX lithium NP1. i didnt need the radios so i turned them off. upon trying to power up my bag it  didnt work. i switched NP-1'S AND EVENTUALLY IT WORKED when i went to internal power on the 552 and then swtiched it to external. this might have been the reason. too much  power from my IDX lithium ion fully charged   battery. i thought maybe something was wrong with the contacts in the cup which  i now wrap 2 bongo ties around to make sure it doesnt get lose.

BTW, just to revisit this thread, I discovered one culprit: one of my Remote Audio "Y" power cables going to the Lectros had an intermittent short. I opened it up and dropped in some insulation, and so far it's been flawless.

I think this, plus the "reset" procedure of just pulling out the NP1 battery and reseating it, has solved the problem for now. 

• 9 months later...