What TC to run if no info on what frame rate the 7D is running - US style!

Soundwil

I'm really sorry to ask a very similar question that has been asked here before but having read all the relevant topics and posts I am non the wiser.

I'm here in Cardiff, UK and working with an American company coming here to shoot on a few 7Ds for the US market. I will be using a 552 with a Lockit (ACL 202CT) providing TC input, jammed to an Ambient (ACD 301) slate. After repeatedly asking what frame rate they want me to record the audio at or telling me what the cameras are doing they haven't provided me with an answers (cheers guys I think to myself).

So my question is: given the lack of info provided, what TC rate would you US guys default to?

I understand that if they decide after the event that they need a different TC frame rate than I initially recorded at I can batch convert in WaveAgent but would like to stand a chance of getting it right the first time.

I'm torn between 29.97 ND and 23.98 or maybe 24 (aarhhh).

Your best guess would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Will

" if they decide after the event that they need a different TC frame rate than I initially recorded at I can batch convert in WaveAgent "

if they decide after the event that they need a different TC frame rate than I initially recorded at they can batch convert in WaveAgent

7D's don't do SMPTE/EBU TC.

25 will be fine.... but if they specify they are shooting at a different rate, I'd match it

Edited by studiomprd

No time code into the 7d, so let it fly. Run TOD and give them a slate if they pay for one, and they can get a few frames of TC running on the slate to give them a reference point. Otherwise, its a free for all. If no TC slate, just run a hop for reference to the camera. They will most likely sync it with Plural Eyes in post.

I guess I disagree--if you are working for a show that will be posted in the USA, the cameras will be rolling at 23.98 or 29.97, so I'd pick from one of those two. The shooters can check the frame rate of their cams in the menus. You rolling at 25 and them rolling at 23.98 or 29.97 can work out ok, but it can also trip things up in post if you aren't at the project frame rate and they don't realize it. If you do roll 25 I'd be sure to send some notes along as well as a voice slate that that's what you did. Are you using a TC slate for this job?

phil p

No time code into the 7d, so let it fly. Run TOD and give them a slate if they pay for one, and they can get a few frames of TC running on the slate to give them a reference point. Otherwise, its a free for all. If no TC slate, just run a hop for reference to the camera. They will most likely sync it with Plural Eyes in post.

Exactly what Andy said. Every 5/7d shoot I've done has been recorded on a Fostex FR2LE with no tc abilitys. Sometimes there is a wireless hop & sometimes it's just the camera mic with or with out a dumb slate. Every one has locked up perfectly wih pluraleyes or whatever program they use for syncing.

Eric

Exactly what Andy said. Every 5/7d shoot I've done has been recorded on a Fostex FR2LE with no tc abilitys. Sometimes there is a wireless hop & sometimes it's just the camera mic with or with out a dumb slate. Every one has locked up perfectly wih pluraleyes or whatever program they use for syncing.

Eric

Right. But he asked what TC frame rate, so if he IS going to do TC (because he was using a TC slate that maybe they asked for), then it would be a good idea to match the camera frame rate. I do 5D/7D shoots all the time--and every one has asked for TC and a a TC slate. Probably most of them don't actually use the TC in syncing--just the clap and the scratch track, but if TC is part of the spec (which it often is) then better make sure the frame rate is correct.

phil p

I think the slate is a luxury here, but if they're willing to pay for it, let 'em have it. On 5D and 7D stuff I shoot, unless specifically asked for a frame rate (and that's usually when shooting with a mix of 'proper' cameras and DSLRs) I run 25fps as that's my default setting, usually leaving Pluraleyes to do the hard work.

Ok.

Did the first day today. Directors email server had been down thus no answer on the tc until the morning.

I'd set up TC slate and lockit (that was feeding 552) at 25fps. Turns out they were going to shoot at 23.97.

Decided to just leave them at 25fps and I converted today's rushes in Wave Agent to 23.97fps.

Have reset Slate and Lockit to 23.97fps for tomorrow.

Simples.

I emailed Sound Devices years ago to thank them for Wave Agent as it's has helped in these kind of situations many times before.

Thee client had requested a TC slate so I felt obliged to at least try and match their frame rate for post.

Thanks all.