Help. ERXTC's not working - only screechy-tone

Mike Wally

So, i rented two ERXTC's so I could us them as camera hops to send timecode/scratch to camera.

I've worked with the ERXTC's and my Nomad on all my jobs in the past few months, and have no had any issues like this. They are paired on the same channel, and same group code.

What else am i missing, is there a setting I need to change?

Oh. It was that the TC out was set to "both" and when i plugged regular headphones in to check that it was working, it bugged out.

I think that was the issue. On a typical stero mini to mini cable, (i'm not sure how they are wired), is there a way to test or is it just something i'll have to experiment when i'm with camera tomorrow? Should it be right out, tip out?

If i change any of the TC output options, it freaks out...is that just because of the headphones?

Oh. It was that the TC out was set to "both" and when i plugged regular headphones in to check that it was working, it bugged out.

I think that was the issue. On a typical stero mini to mini cable, (i'm not sure how they are wired), is there a way to test or is it just something i'll have to experiment when i'm with camera tomorrow? Should it be right out, tip out?

If i change any of the TC output options, it freaks out...is that just because of the headphones?

What do you mean by "it freaks out"?

Also what do you mean by "should it be right out, tip out" - do you mean the TC out of the ERX?

You can easily check how a cable is wired with an inexpensive continuity tester.

I think that was the issue. On a typical stero mini to mini cable, (i'm not sure how they are wired), is there a way to test or is it just something i'll have to experiment when i'm with camera tomorrow?

Should it be right out, tip out?

No. On a standard 3.5 mm TRS "stereo" connection it is: Left=Tip, Right=Ring, Sleeve=Ground.

Eric

Basic questions Mike:

Are you proving audio to camera, TC to camera, or both? You can do any of these three with extended menu adjustments.

Timecode is a really loud audio signal. I assume this is what you mean by "bugged out", or "freaks out"? is that you are hearing this sound in your headphones?

If the erx TC is simply being used as an IFB, then don't assign the TC to either side of the output!

If you are using the erx to feed a DSLR or Red epic (mini to mini), a standard "over the counter" mini cable is not necessarily wired properly.

Basic questions Mike:

Are you providing audio to camera, TC to camera, or both? You can do any of these three with extended menu adjustments.

Timecode is a really loud audio signal. I assume this is what you mean by "bugged out", or "freaks out"? is that you are hearing this sound in your headphones?

If the erx TC is simply being used as an IFB, then don't assign the TC to either side of the output!

If you are using the erx to feed a DSLR or Red epic (mini to mini), a standard "over the counter" mini cable is not necessarily wired properly.

This is exactly the issue...so if the Timecode is so noisy,and I want to be able to send timecode and scratch audio to the 5d mark III, is there something else I need to toggle??

I have a stereo mini pro-sound gave me, but I don't know how it was wired. I'm on set in a few hours and don't think I'd be able to get a different cable in time..

The codes are all 0, Glenn, so no problems there..

By freak out I meant it sounded like really loud screeching Or clipping

This is exactly the issue...so if the Timecode is so noisy,and I want to be able to send timecode and scratch audio to the 5d mark III, is there something else I need to toggle??

I have a stereo mini pro-sound gave me, but I don't know how it was wired. I'm on set in a few hours and don't think I'd be able to get a different cable in time..

The codes are all 0, Glenn, so no problems there..

You can't send timecode to the 5D. You can send timecode as audio, and a scratch track to the individual channels of the 5D, but any playback you do you'll have to listen to the timecode.

If you go into the menu and shut off TC out do you get audio with no screechy tone

Yeah, attempt to send JUST audio. Turn TC OFF, and see if you can send just scratch track. You can listen to it with headphones. If you still get weird screechy stuff then something is wrong with the unit, or with the method you're using to send to it.

That IS what Timecode sounds like!

If you are saying that the audio track (not the TC, but the audio from your microphone) is distorted then that's something else.

I would argue that you should just send audio scratch to a DSLR. Sending audio TC is fine if they request it, but they will not be able to play back the takes on set without hearing that screechy sound of the TC.

Make sure that you are sending TC on one side of the output (not both) if you want TC and audio to camera.

That IS what Timecode sounds like!

If you are saying that the audio track (not the TC, but the audio from your microphone) is distorted then that's something else.

I would argue that you should just send audio scratch to a DSLR. Sending audio TC is fine if they request it, but they will not be able to play back the takes on set without hearing that screechy sound of the TC.

Make sure that you are sending TC on one side of the output (not both) if you want TC and audio to camera.

yea, haha.

So, they agreed to just take audio scratch. fortunately, the DP is a good friend of mine. Everything is working as it should.

I did learn something today though, haha.