• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Howdy Folks, I just wanted to clarify that James was totally helpful and responsive in helping me out in getting TVDB add on portion of the App up and running. He also got back to me within a day and NOT three days later as was originally posted.

Thank you James for this App, and I look forward to finally be able to work in midtown Manhattan now with total confidence that this App will shut down any and all competing television transmitters, adjacent film crew RF spray, Google surveillance technologies, unlicensed amateur dental X-Ray machinery, and the entire Bodega Baseball Satellite Network feed from the Dominican Republic.

OK, the last part was hyperbole, but I do look forward to finally being able to use this App!

Cheers,

Sean O'Neil

Brooklyn NYC

Just tried it again on mine - still no go. Dies out to the Springboard when I try and purchase. Anything I can do from this end James?

Iphone 3GS, IOS 5.0.1

I like my maps, so not really planning to do any upgrading to ios6. I might not get the choice on my new (to me) ipad 2 coming in a few days. If that is on anything different, I'll probably give that a try to purchase too.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey James, is it possible to share the Freq Finder data among a few iPhones? Let's say I coordinated all the frequency for a certain location/production. I want to share the data among the other members of the sound team who also has Freq Finder on their iPhones. Is there an easy way to do so? Sorry if this has been discussed. I didn't catch it if it was.

Sammy Huen

Hey James, sorry I missed your reply on the 9th.

The ipad 2 that I received came with 5.1.1 also, but for whatever reason, was able to successfully purchase the add-on. I still don't know what was different about my iphone or the ipad 1... They had been jailbroken, but that hasn't stopped me in the past. I don't have any hacks installed on them other than the 'appsync' patch which just takes clippers to Apple's 'walled garden' of checking is-this-a-non-purchased-app-attempting-to-be-installed. Doesn't do anything to purchases or in-app purchases.

Couldn't tell you why it was failing out, but it worked with the new one, and all devices are now linked to the same data, so all is good.

I now have working:

Ipad 2, 6.0.1 not jailbroken (curse you Apple, sending me an already-upgraded unit from the refurb program!)

ipad 1, 5.1.1 jailbroken (works fine)

iphone 3GS 5.1.1 jailbroken (works fine)

Ipad 2 5.1.1 jailbroken (worked fine - removed, ipad was a gift for my sister)

That's interesting. Tell me if I understand you correctly: what you're saying is that you were unable to buy the TVDB add-on on a jailbroken device, but when you bought it on a none jailbroken device, you were able to "Restore Transaction" back to the jailbroken devices.

Apparently iOS 5 had a vulnerability that allowed jailbroken devices to unlock in-app purchases without actually paying for them. Apple then released a rather shotty, in my opinion, temporary fix to the problem for iOS 5 and then a better one in iOS 6. I wonder if the iOS 5 fix is making it hard for your jailbroken devices. The iOS5 fix is in the form of developer code that must be added to your app and is included in FreqFinder.

I don't know about the anti-purchasing code that you would have to add... Your app didn't use the kind of in-app purchase method that the 'vulnerable' apps (games, all) do.

FYI: I have legitimately paid for the games that I use, but I also don't believe it is right to take functionality and change it to 'now-you-can-buy-a-few-of-what-you-had-before' like a certain Irritated-Aviary-flinging game franchise did. My ipad 1 has the hack program installed on it (disabled most of the time) that does bypass the in-app auth scheme that the games use. From what I understand, it was a variation on a webkit hook, but I could be completely wrong about that. All I know is that the program needs to have the main functionality already built in, and the only thing it hooks is the payment request. It doesn't work with a lot of things, but I only used it to restore what that franchise's update took away from my purchased game. It has sat unused and disabled since.

Thing is - the iphone doesn't have that hack, and failed out the same way as the ipad, with the hack disabled. I have set the iphone up specifically for reliability, killing off some of the useless processes that suck battery (safe ones only) and generally just keeping it lean and mean... I can't answer why it refused to work with your purchase, yours is the *only* one that I've ever had a problem with, especially across multiple devices.

You are correct however, the 'restore purchases' worked on everything other than the 5.1.1 factory-fresh that did the actual purchase. It would seem that the only thing that is borked then, was the actual purchase process itself. Whatever data it is passing when it is trying to load the price worked fine (on the ones that failed) but the next step, where the big blue notifier window comes up for the confirmation... When you click on purchase (or whatever it said)... BOOM - desktop. Didn't pass a firewall warning (I have iFirewall installed too, but it alerts me anytime something new tries to get out, and your program is whitelisted anyway)... No errors, just crash and burn.

Don't worry. I'm not accusing you of anything. I trust my users. I just wanted to know what might be causing the issue for your devices and it seems the jailbrokenness + the antipiracy code do not play nicely. Like I say, Apple's code is pretty poorly implemented. I had to fix a lot of their fix, including the issue with the iOS 5.0.1. It's also possible that the fix for that problem will solve the issue with your jailbroken devices. I can't say I understand all of Apple's code, but trust me when I say it's been a pretty big pain in the ass.

Oh, I'm not worried, I know you weren't accusing me of anything. I'm not a fan of "pooping where I eat" so annoying a developer that makes products that make my clients think I'm a genius... That would not be smart of me.

When I was having the problems last month and before, I was trying everything to get the purchase or the add-on to work. Just for giggles, since nothing else had worked... I also tried enabling the hack, which (if it worked) would have kicked open the add-on without charging me. That didn't work either, so you are safe (at least from my devices!) but I would have told you privately if it had, so you could plug the leak. I also would have been happy to PayPal you the cash.

Btw: whatever "fix" apple thinks they have issued for this hack... It doesn't change anything. Even with the various updates that game franchise has gone through, each of their games (and lots of other games too, apparently) are still "supported" by this hack, as listed in their text database. Apple didn't do a very good job plugging that leak at all, despite what they might say.

I also seriously doubt it is a specific vulnerability in iOS 5, as that should equally effect any type of app. The numbers of "supported" apps are vast in the games category, yet relatively few in the business or GPS or weather or office categories. I guess those are just different in how they change when a purchase is made.

It amazes me about how many things that these I-devices are capable of, and that any of them work at all. The complexity is staggering. If there is any way I can help you out with the development, such as logs or something from my collection of devices... Just let me know. I have full root access to everything except the iOS 6.0.1 iPad 2 right now. That one will be rooted eventually... Sooner rather than later I hope. I feel naked without my firewall securing the ipad and blocking ads.

My understanding of it is that the hack reroutes the purchase request to a fake apple server. The code they give to fix the vulnerability is about hard coding a server request that verifies the validity of the purchase receipt (encrypted, of course). They said that that would be circumvented eventually as well. The reason the hack works on different apps probably has to do with whether or not the app implements that verification. Apple says that they made a change in iOS6 that would solve the issue, but of course that can't be tested until iOS6 gets jailbroken.

It will be very interesting to see if that is the case on ios 6. I'm not certain that it is as you describe for 5.x, due to the firewall I have active - Unless they are somehow hooking a process related to the appstore app (I don't believe so) I haven't allowed internet access to games in general, those avian ones in specific. I don't need them wasting data and time just to load ads for more of their products on the pause screen. The firewall didn't trigger when I tried the purchase... So it must be in some other app I previously whitelisted. I don't think the hack is listed in the firewall.

With them 'not seeing' the internet, the bypassed purchase still worked OK last time I tried it. Interestingly enough, I do know that it won't work with the wifi shut off, so there must be some internet hook somewhere. Too bad I don't have a packet analyzer or we could know for sure... Not that I'd help Apple with this one. They allowed (nigh on preferred!) that the i-everythings have the ability to waste as much data transfer as possible... Staggering how quick a limited connection is chewed up with those things. There must be some kickback from the carriers for that little gimmick, and that they won't allow an 'approved' firewall that can actually block ad servers.

Thank you for not loading ads on your app, and resisting the temptation. I'd rather have to pay once and never be bothered... Than get something for free and be constantly losing 1/4 of the screen.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to say thanks for developing such a useful tool!

Hey can't believe I didn't see this til now (I did have the email notification set. It must expire after a period of time). Happy to be of service and I have more ideas where that came from. If only there were more of me to get the job done.

Anyway, I have news...

• 10 months later...

I love this app, but lately it's been crashing on me.

I'm on an iPhone 4S running ios 7.0.4. Freq Finder version 2.25.

When I open it, I can go into TX profiles, but as soon as I try to edit any of the transmitters, the app closes on me, taking me back to the folder it's in or to the phone's home page.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

Marc