Lectro 100 series for cam hops?

Josh Tucker

Hey all. I was wondering if anyone uses 100 series Lectro's as camera hops these days. I know they're a somewhat outdated bit of gear, but the specs seem legit and I could only imagine that they'd at least outperform the G2/3 systems that some of you guys are running for scratch tracks. I'm working on a couple shows that are using smaller cams, and I figure this would be a nice solution. I've been using the Zaxcom IFB100 with ERX's for the past few months but have hated them (shoddy range, weird noises and tones, easily broken, etc.). Now I'm looking to get something that actually works! What do you think?

Quality wise they might be a little better than G2sor G3s and they're certainly small. I'm not sure if they can output line level which is preferable going into the camera, and the 1/8 inch connector is non locking so consider that as well. On the show I supervise I won't spec anything less than 200 series hops or above or Zaxcom. If you use a larger receiver you could do a fanny pack with a cord going to the camera. Just a thought.

Best,

Bernie

I hear ya Bernie. I figure the connector issue could be fixed with a bit of gaff. The only times that I'd be using them would be when working with smaller cams that already have questionable audio. I just need something with a good bit of range that's reliable. Ive got enough to worry about without having to wonder whether my Zaxcom system will work that day. That said, I like your idea of using the fanny packs.

Quality wise they might be a little better than G2sor G3s and they're certainly small. I'm not sure if they can output line level which is preferable going into the camera, and the 1/8 inch connector is non locking so consider that as well. On the show I supervise I won't spec anything less than 200 series hops or above or Zaxcom. If you use a larger receiver you could do a fanny pack with a cord going to the camera. Just a thought.

Best,

Bernie

I think it's out of production (or was replaced?), but Portabrace makes/made a belt pouch to hold a 411 receiver. I use them for a Zaxcom hop. A little easier than a fanny pack, and the antennas stay vertical.

Yea, I just got done on a project that had that belt pouch setup, the name on the tag was like RM-17 or something like that - it was really hard to read.

For long range and into cameras that have 'questionable' audio, what is wrong with a Comtek? Those things have legendary range, much better s/n ratio than a 100 series, and in the hi-fidelity mode, sound pretty decent. You can't beat the price for them on the used market either, compared to Lectro stuff that can be 2-3 times the cost for a 100 series.

Between the Lectro 100 and a G2/G3... Lectro every time. The Sennheiser stuff just isn't in the same quality ballpark, even without diversity.