Delivering Files to Production

drewstorm

With more and more shoots being double system these days, I am curious how the majority of you are delivering files to production at the end of the day. I currently have been burning dvd-r's at the end of the day but that adds an extra 30 min to my wrap. I have also tried just giving a CF card to the Data wrangler but many times don't get my card back and then have to argue the replacement cost with production (8gb cards at 600sec run around $50 a card). The other option I can think of is a jump drive but once again, it's a matter of getting the drives back the following day and on one day shoots, your waiting for the download which brings me back to adding 30 min to my wrap. I could do dvd-rams and record as I go so the disc is already burned at the end of the day but I find no one wants to pay the $7 - $10 a disc and it isn't practical in a bag, only on a cart.

Anyway, the only solutions I can come up with is costing me $10 to $15 dollars a day in jumpdrives or an extra $30 min to my wrap, either solution is not desirable. How are you all handling this dilema?

- Drewstorm

30 min wrap, not $30 min wrap.

It's education and $$$! I have that discussion right after I am hired, and so far, the client hands me a CF or SD card at the beginning of the day. I of course have my own, but don't volunteer them. One producer acted as if the discussion had never happened, but I told I had none with me, so he sent a PA off to buy a CF card, with my specs, at the nearest big box store before we started shooting.

I like Eric's reasoning...they bough the 1/4, the DAT so why not the card. At least they can use it multiple times.

I generally bring a CF Firewire reader and hand it and the card to the DIT right at wrap. He or she is generally still copying files from the camera for at least half an hour, so by the time I'm packed up, the CF card is generally done.

On rare occasions, I've sent files to the editor via Dropbox or another file-sharing net utility, and that can work, too -- provided they're willing to spend 30-40 minutes downloading files.

On a lot of commercial shoots here in Sweden, what I've done is I've come home at the end of the week or the whole shoot (like 3 day shoots for example) and I've either uploaded the files via FTP to the client's server or on my own personal FTP, and give them a link to download the files.

That way, there's no card to be lost on my part, I can write new metadata if necessary at home, and they don't have to worry about losing a disk or drive.. And I still have a backup.

This has worked for me on many many shoots.

If the client does not desire this method, I will hand the cards or drives to a wrangler and stay on set till the card is back in my hands.

For me it depends on who the client is. Some supply their own CF cards, some I am happy to let use my CF cards and they get them back to me in a timely fashion. Some supply an external hdd and the data / camer assist copies the CF. If its a day job and the data is not TOO big I upload to Dropbox.

To use those popular words here on the forum "it depends"

Just DON'T give it away

For me it depends on who the client is. Some supply their own CF cards, some I am happy to let use my CF cards and they get them back to me in a timely fashion. Some supply an external hdd and the data / camer assist copies the CF. If its a day job and the data is not TOO big I upload to Dropbox.

To use those popular words here on the forum "it depends"

Just DON'T give it away

Somehow I don't see any opportunity for money to change hands in what you describe above. Am I wrong in that assumption? Why has the sound department become the supplier of free media for production?

Eric

Lately I've been attaching a firewire hard drive to the recorder for the mirror copy files. At the end of the day, I hand off the hard drive to the DIT and he makes copies while I wrap. He (or she) has the copies made by the time I'm ready to pack away the drive.

One of the advantages of the hard drive is that it is obviously not a give-away or expendable. Everyone appreciates that you expect its return and accommodates by making a timely transfer. On one or two occasions I've had to recover a drive the next day but that hand-off was facilitated.

You do need to have more than one, preferably more than two, hard drives for this to work. But smaller drives - and a smaller drive is all you need - are not expensive.

David

On a lot of commercial shoots here in Sweden, what I've done is I've come home at the end of the week or the whole shoot (like 3 day shoots for example) and I've either uploaded the files via FTP to the client's server or on my own personal FTP, and give them a link to download the files.

That way, there's no card to be lost on my part, I can write new metadata if necessary at home, and they don't have to worry about losing a disk or drive.. And I still have a backup.

This has worked for me on many many shoots.

If the client does not desire this method, I will hand the cards or drives to a wrangler and stay on set till the card is back in my hands.

+1 for FTP. I upload a .zip file per shooting day to a hidden folder, and mail a download link to the client. Benefit of it all is that ther is an instant backup as well, in case of some emergency.

Like Mark and David, on a short job I give the card to the camera data wrangler at wrap. By the time I'm done packing up, it's done. It's sound files. It only takes a few minutes.

If it's tape-based, I have turned in the CF with a request for production to return the CF. I have always gotten it back.

On longer jobs, I shuttle the cards back and forth to post. The one I'm on now bought cards, since they buy the expendables. The last show I charged for expendables, which included the use of my media.

As stated earlier, they used to buy DAT and 1/4", so there shouldn't be a problem buying cards. One card can hold way more than DATs, so often work out to be cheaper.

The only reason this is a problem is because people have set a trend by not charging for these things. Stop it!

Like others, I also just hand a CF card over at wrap and collect it before I leave. Occasionally I've been on smaller indie shorts (for friends) where no one brought a laptop. In that case, I hand the card over and collect it a few days later. But that's with friends; for pro work the drag and drop has been fine.

" or an extra $30 min to my wrap, either solution is not desirable. "

that time is on their dime! --if it was a short day, you may lose.

but really, if it is a job where you are able to leave that quickly, I'll bet you don't have to pack-up, which probably means you will be back the next day, and can get your card back. Otherwise, your wrapping and packing goes on while the DIT deals with it, and as mentioned, you are on the clock...