Sound is king

BHAudio

We all know, w/o sound pictures are just ...pictures. Yes they're beautiful but sound is real.

Imagine someone talking, framed up beautifully, with natural sun light and awesome cameras recording an intimate interview. Yes it's beautiful ... to look at. But mos we will never feel the emotion , the human side. We must hear, from lip to ear. Never let anyone walk over you as you capture sound. It will always stand alone. And that's where it's power is.

Sorry, but nobody comes out of a movie whistling s/n or intelligibility either. (If they're whistling anything, it's from the score rather than from dialog.)

Almost-most-important:

The story is what matters. Then the acting.

Absolutely-most-important:

The effect on the viewer is what matters.

This can be the result of story or actors, or visual effects, or acoustic effects, or even an accidental relationship between something in the film and current events. That's what sells tickets, and makes buzz, and drives our industry, and makes the classics memorable.

Yes, we have a lot to do with helping that happen... but bottom line, no more than some other departments.

The problem is when producers or directors think of sound as an unfortunate nuisance rather than a vital part of affecting the viewer.

Sorry, but nobody comes out of a movie whistling s/n or intelligibility either. (If they're whistling anything, it's from the score rather than from dialog.)

Almost-most-important:

This can be the result of story or actors, or visual effects, or acoustic effects, or even an accidental relationship between something in the film and current events. That's what sells tickets, and makes buzz, and drives our industry, and makes the classics memorable.

Yes, we have a lot to do with helping that happen... but bottom line, no more than some other departments.

The problem is when producers or directors think of sound as an unfortunate nuisance rather than a vital part of affecting the viewer.

While accurate, you're being much too literal on this one, Jay. The line, "Nobody comes out of the cinema, whistling a wide-shot." makes the same point as your final paragraph, but much more poetically (unless, of course, someone dissects it <g>).

Almost-most-important:

Wow, you just sucked every little bit of fun out of this thread, didn´t you? If you're gonna be such a downer, let's just spell out what really matters: That the studio makes a ton of cash, everything else is second priority. Let's never try to feel happy about our work ever again. :(

Whenever someone tries to skimp the importance of sound I say "Star Wars". That's one of those films that you can't really remember the imagery, but you can mimic every sound from it. And of course hum every tune.

Jay is right though, the story and its elements are superior to everything, even sound....

And Star Wars is the exception that defines the rule :P

Wow, you just sucked every little bit of fun out of this thread, didn´t you? ... let's just spell out what really matters: That the studio makes a ton of cash.... Let's never try to feel happy about our work ever again.

Really?

I've been aware of the commercial implications of our craft for almost* as long as I've been in the business. And it's never stopped me from enjoying the work, taking pride in a job well done, and feeling good when I've been part of a successful project.

It's called show business, not sound business.

* -- Okay, I started in public broadcast. But so did some of our most accomplished colleagues.

Really?

I've been aware of the commercial implications of our craft for almost* as long as I've been in the business. And it's never stopped me from enjoying the work, taking pride in a job well done, and feeling good when I've been part of a successful project.

It's called show business, not sound business.

You should really look up the word "irony".

"...whitsling a wide-shot" IS the effect on the veiwer. It's a statement about how big a part music can play in a movie, relative to the footage. Nothing about s/n or dialouge. Those are your own strawmen.

You should really look up the word "irony".

Did you mean I really should look it up? Or did you mean I shouldn't be pretending to look it up?

I didn't think I was doing the latter. As far as the former, the best I could find was

the expression of one's meaning by using language that normally signifies the opposite, typically for humorous or emphatic effect : “Don't go overboard with the gratitude,” he rejoined with heavy irony.See note at wit .
-- New Oxford American Dictionary

and the note

Irony is the implicit humor in the contradiction between what is meant and what is expressed, or in the discrepancy between appearance and reality. An example would be to shout, in the midst of a hurricane, “What a perfect day for a wedding!”
-- ibid

So you really were agreeing with me? From a style point of view, I'd say you went on kind of long. And the dismayed smiley didn't help.

But I'll accept the correction. You were agreeing with me. Sorry for taking it the wrong way.

Every great project starts with the written word on a page. And more often than not (yes, I own my own copy of "The Artist") the writer writes (and rewrites) and polishes the character's dialog until it is a perfect representation of that character. And we, my colleagues, are the engineer/artists that record that essence of those characters. The importance of that is obvious. We are but a single part of the process, but no less important than cinematography, costume design, or post scoring. I am not looking to elevate my profession above any other, just get the respect we deserve.