702T mic & line question

Barton Hewett

I have a 702T that I am interfacing with a PSC alpha mix. When I output line level from the mixer into the 702 (with the 702 set to line as well, naturally) I have very little lower adjustment. So, setting the 702 at -20 puts me at just above 0 on the pots on the 702. If I turn the pots all the way down it only brings the signal down to about -25 on the recorder. Now, if I change the mixer/recorder output/input to mic level I have lots of bottom and top and have to attenuate the pots up quite considerably to get to -20.

When I record in line/line my recording are, to my mind too thin. When I record in mic/mic the recordings (and the waverforms) are nice and fat. Weird, as I have always used line when interfacing with cameras.

I suspect that I am doing something wrong in the set up of the 702 but do not know what it is.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Is your ref level (440 Hz if I remember well in the alpha mix) correct ? You can adjust it with a trimpot, on the bottom panel. That's better to adjust your reference meter correctly (0 or +4 dBu).

Then align it with the 702 (-20 dB fs), then do your level on the alphamix.

The gain range on the Line Input is -6 to +20. Have never used a 7 Series with the PSC mixer, but 0 tone from a 442/552 will line up at -20 on a 7 Series with the Line input gain at 0.0. If you are right around 0.0 with the PSC, you are right about where you need to be.

Sounds like the 702T is operating normally.

Turns out the 702 is at fault. Had a long talk with tech at Sound Devices and he suggested that I go back to the dealer and try it with a Sound Devices (or not PSC) mixer and I did and the problem persisted. The 702 is being sent back for checking and repair. I'm glad it wasn't the mixer as I really like that Alpha Mix. thanks for your replies everyone!