Sony FS700 Time Code question

Marc Hoppe

I have a pick up day tomorrow where we are shooting on the Sony FS700. I have looked at the Sony Website and see under the product specs that there is a SMPTE TC output, but no mention of what type of connection it is. There is no mention of a TC input in the specs list.

I have tried to find the manual online to no avail, so I can not RTFM, and it is 9:25 PM EST, so calling the manufacturer is out of the question as well. I also checked out Scott Farr's website, and the manual is not there either.

It's not a huge deal since I will be recording dual system anyway, I just wanted a heads up as to what I am walking into.

Thanks in advance,

Marc Hoppe

There's supposed to be SMPTE timecode out through the HDMI/HD SDI 3G plug. But I've never been able to figure out how to use it properly in my system.Truthfully I've only worked with the FS-700 a handfull of times and as usual, there wasn't much time to play around and figure it out.

Also, there is no Timecode input connector.

From the manual:

x HDMITCOUT

You can set whether to output time code to other professional-use devices, using HDMI.

B OFF

Does not overlap the time code information on HDMI output signal.

ON

Overlaps the time code information on HDMI output signal*. The data is transmitted as digital data, not as a projected image, and the connected device identifies the time data by referencing the transmitted digital data.

* If the frame rate is 24p, 2-3 pulldown is performed and the converted information is automatically added and transmitted.

I wonder how could i jamsync my recorder from this?

I don't think you can. In my opinion, this is a higher-end toy camera.

It's incredible how Sony finds ways to avoid providing real timecode inputs and outputs from certain low-cost cameras in order to protect the sales of their more expensive cameras. They did this even back in the standard-def days...

Speaking of camera timecode: I'm still bewildered at the number of shows (particularly reality shows) shooting rec-run drop-frame timecode, even on tape. To me, this kind of thinking is mired in the 1990s. Everybody by 2012 should be shooting with cameras recording on some kind of file-based storage, capable of being externally synced. A lot of it boils down to "we've always done it this way" or "we can't afford to upgrade," or just sheer ignorance. In the case of the FS700, it's just a cheap camera crippled by the manufacturer, and some production companies are foolish enough to buy them, thinking they're "good enough."

Timecode is an issue. You can not send the FS timecode at all and the timecode output is a work around, but possible with the correct tools.

The SD Pix can read the Sony TC via HDMI out. I was able to jam the Pix with the FS set to time of day. Once you send TC you can pull the HDMI cable and the Pix will continue to hold it. TC on the Pix slipped 1 sec in about 6 hour.

I suspect you once the pix has locked to the FS TC then you could send the it to another device like a recorder.

• 1 month later...

Timecode is an issue. You can not send the FS timecode at all and the timecode output is a work around, but possible with the correct tools.

The SD Pix can read the Sony TC via HDMI out. I was able to jam the Pix with the FS set to time of day. Once you send TC you can pull the HDMI cable and the Pix will continue to hold it. TC on the Pix slipped 1 sec in about 6 hour.

I suspect you once the pix has locked to the FS TC then you could send the it to another device like a recorder.

Yep - worked with this camera yesterday on a corporate gig. TC out via HDMI connector only. No BNC or Lemo connectors on camera for TC

recorded separate sound on 788T and got presenter to hand clap for sync