Best Lectro Block in LA

Jordi Cirbian

Hey Folks,

I'm gonna be moving to L.A. in the next weeks and I'll have to change all my lectro systems cause I'm working in block 27/28. Soon I´ll post in the sell and buy section a bunch of lectros.

At the moment I'm interested to Know wich blocks work better in L.A., I've heart that 25/26 is a good range?

Thanks,

Jordi Cirbian, CAS

I have rarely had problems with either Blocks 19 or 21. I ran 8 channels of Block 19 a few weeks ago in the middle of downtown LA and had no issues. In some cases, I had to jump around to avoid any intermodulation issues (with the aid of FreqFinder), but all was well.

When I used to run Block 22 a few years back, I did occasionally encounter some issues there, but that was before I had tracking front-end receivers (Venue VRT and 411). That does make a difference in problem situations.

see...

this is the issue I have with all of the "best block?" posts.

I think we all agree that there will be issues with any, and all blocks. These issues will vary from time to time and from place to place- and the Los Angeles area is a pretty big huge place, and actual results will vary even from one neighborhood to another..

so, if someone were to say that they found Bl 24 crowded, would you actually replace your wireless --obviously you have Bl 24--, or would you bring and use them anyway ?? (The latter is my bet!)

Now, if you need to have 10+ simultaneous systems (like a big stage show), then you would need multiple blocks, and spares; that is what the big shows (sound by the pound) routinely carry

I appreciate that. I was merely asking if there were any specific issues people had encountered with that block, , more out of interest than anything, perhaps if people had found it to be particularly troublesome I would make early provision for hiring some gear locally. Obviously there are a huge amount of variables and I appreciate your issue you have with such posts/questions.

Here is my experience with different blocks in the LA area (obviously like Senator said, LA is huge and it depends on your location, but unlike Senator, I am going to try and be helpful)

19: very clean, I've never run into problems finding plenty of clean frequencies

20: I found this block almost unusable in the downtown area near the warehouse district

21: I have always been able to use this block although it used to be better a few years ago. It seems to be more and more crowded...maybe it's just me ( also can be an issue downtown- but still very usable

22: I would avoid this purchasing or renting this block. Usually it's about 3/4 unusable, although there seems to be a pretty constant 1/4 that is clean.

23-no idea

24- no idea ( I have heard that it is good...)

25: I like this block and I have found it consistently clean- much like 19

26: I generally very good, but I have also had some issue with it downtown

27: no idea

28: nearly always completely clean, too bad it's illegal

In summary I think that just about all of the blocks can be used just about anywhere. But some seem to be more consistently clean than others. In my experience these are 19, 25, 26, 28.

Others experiences may vary.

-Jon

It's also interesting how sometimes, just 5 miles can make a big difference. I'm in the dust of San Bernadino at the moment, and the freqs on Block 19 I used yesterday had a chunk of interference in them today (new location). Moved them down after a scan, all was well.

So the issue may boil down to where in LA? LA is a huge huge place: the Valley, the beaches, downtown, the West side, Pasadena. There is no universally clean block (not even in Universal City). "Best" is subjective.

Here is my experience with different blocks in the LA area (obviously like Senator said, LA is huge and it depends on your location, but unlike Senator, I am going to try and be helpful)

19: very clean, I've never run into problems finding plenty of clean frequencies

20: I found this block almost unusable in the downtown area near the warehouse district

21: I have always been able to use this block although it used to be better a few years ago. It seems to be more and more crowded...maybe it's just me ( also can be an issue downtown- but still very usable

22: I would avoid this purchasing or renting this block. Usually it's about 3/4 unusable, although there seems to be a pretty constant 1/4 that is clean.

23-no idea

24- no idea ( I have heard that it is good...)

25: I like this block and I have found it consistently clean- much like 19

26: I generally very good, but I have also had some issue with it downtown

27: no idea

28: nearly always completely clean, too bad it's illegal

In summary I think that just about all of the blocks can be used just about anywhere. But some seem to be more consistently clean than others. In my experience these are 19, 25, 26, 28.

Others experiences may vary.

-Jon

I have three radios in block 22, which I use extensively in L.A. and haven't had any issues, ever, in the last two years. Either I'm the luckiest bastard in the city or...

BK

I don't live in LA but have shot there 10 or so times over the years. Block 24 is not a great block in my experience. There seems to be 2 TV stations that take up most of the block and there is a small notch in the middle that can only fit 2 properly frequency coordinated units.

Cheers,

Brent Calkin

As the Senator says, any block can be made to work to a certain extent in LA. Our rental department inventory covers the entire spectrum. However, I think what should be asked is; which blocks might yield the highest number of available frequencies in the Los Angeles area? We find that blocks 19-20-25 yield the most open RF acreage, and therefore recommend them to those in town starting from scratch.

SJ

You can use the results of the Sennheiser find frequencies page for any model of transmitter. It takes a little studying.

The main thing is to look for patches of bandwidth that have the greatest signal attenuation (far right column) meaning the least amount of interfering transmission. Use those areas.

It is not an intermodulation calculator. For that you'll have to use the lectro chart, FreqFinder, IAS, or just trial and error.