BBC sale

drpro

The BBC Worldwide Service is selling of more of their gear. I ran across this http://www2.ppauctions.com/auction.php?thisPage=50&id=71&perPage=20&sort=2&search=&cat=all

All kinds of audio and video gear along with other support gear. If you are in Europe could be nice. Not so sure about those of us in the US with shipping and customs.

Just thought it might be of interest to the group and I have no connection with the BBC or the auction company.

Thanks

David

Drool!

My brother lives in London and I may be able to egg him to make a pick up for me. He is also coming to visit in October! I may be able to help out, though looks like there are a lot of bids already so not so sure how much a deal these are going to end up as.

Be warned that there's a buyer's premium of 15% and then 20% tax on top of the final bid price. In the first phase, auction final prices were quite close to new prices on some items; microphones being a case in point. People get carried away at these auctions and start bidding silly prices. I remember going to an auction of kit at a film studio very many years ago to try and pick up amplifiers for the theatre I was working for: in the event, the used Quad 50Es that I was interesetd in went for well in excess of what I could by them for new.

I'd still like a pair of KM84s, though...

John

i 2nd that soundmanjohn.... prices started good in phase one sell off then final selling prices went sky high mostly.....

strange bidding system too, if you bid in the last moments of the auction it extends the auction time by a few minutes which encourages people to keep adding just that little bit more..... oh go on just a bit more.....

Be warned that there's a buyer's premium of 15% and then 20% tax on top of the final bid price. In the first phase, auction final prices were quite close to new prices on some items; microphones being a case in point. People get carried away at these auctions and start bidding silly prices.

I've been to several production company and post-production auctions, and I was appalled by how high the prices went after the attendees caught "auction fever."

There's going to be a huge auction at the end of the week at the Digital Domain bankruptcy, out in West LA. This was a $50 million company, so the amount of computer and post gear they have is pretty unbelievable. Very sad story.

• 1 month later...

Some of the kit from the BBC auction has begun to find its way onto Ebay: one hopeful seller has a single used Neumann KM140 on offer at a BIN price of £1,950. That's just over $3,000 at today's exchange rates and almost three times whay they go for new here in the UK.

John

Yes, there was some used Sadie stuff like BB2s on EBay that was ex-Bush House--the seller was very cagey about the fact that one would have to buy a software license for this thing to work. There might have been some deals for people local to London, but the pickup and shipping plus the premium+VAT and not being able to test anything w/ no return put me off. There have been some deals at prod/post co auctions, but you really have to know what you are looking for, decide what you are willing to pay for it and be very fleet of foot to beat the professional resellers to anything that's both in good shape and is a good deal. The latter is tough to find, since the auctioneers make sure that everything goes for as much money as possible.

philp