Lavalieres with big beard

Diego Sanchez

Hello everyone

I'm starting soon a documentary and i know i will be relaying heavily on radio mics for the main character. I just got told today he is got a BIG beard.

I just wanted to hear tips and recommendations for dealing with this. I know a beard might not be a massive sound barrier, but i'm scared about noise of it against clothes. Should i go in the chest under beard or in the beard?

Thanks in advance

Diego Sanchez

www.soundiego.co.uk

Try a b6 clipped into the beard with a toupee clip a few inches below the chin as far out to the surface of the beard without it being seen, if it's windy bury it a bit more into the beard. I had good success with this method on film recently where there we some massive beards. Virtually no rustle and great voice response.

Regards

Tony

Mike -- Diego is doing his "due diligence," as well he should. I'm surprised this isn't something you teach your students.

It's called pre-production -- you learn as much as you can about the variables prior to a shoot and then prepare for as many eventualities as reasonable and possible. Discussing with your peers their experiences in given circumstances can be a valuable part of that.

" I'm surprised this isn't something you teach your students. "

I do, well, not specifically big beards, but I keep letting them know that every case is, and will be somewhat unique, and may well involve trial and error, and thus the time for trial and error.

" Discussing with your peers their experiences in given circumstances can be a valuable part of that. "

exactly, and reminding folks of the obvious is a part of that discussion, as it appears that the OP needs to consider that no matter what specific advice this discussion yields, trial and error will no doubt be part of the implementation.

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

Did a job with a bearded man recently.

I found that most of the noise problem was his hairy chin rubbing on his collar.

I used a mid-chest mounted Sonotrim and that worked well

Head rigs can be good but outdoors mat suffer from wind

mike

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I did a show in Louisiana with a lot of heat and humidity, and yes, big beards. Gotta say it was rough, especially since the cast would sweat like waterfalls, and were constantly fidgeting with their clothing. Wish I would have known about the beard/clip method, might have made things easier.

I mostly put my cos11s in those rm-11 type rubber mounts with vampire clips on the back about mid chest where the beards would taper off. Less beard noise and sweat to deal with. It mostly worked pretty well. Any problems incurred were usually from the cast fidgeting or messing with their clothes.