Location sound recordist for 3 week shoot in Idyllwild, CA

Hi everyone,

I need a sound recordist for a 3 week shoot in Idyllwild, CA from October 2 - 22nd. (with 3-4 days off in-between). This is for an ultra low budget sci-fi thriller (Signs meets war of the world). You would have to be comfortable staying at the cabin location with me and the cast (about 5 people total). This will not be a grueling schedule, there will be a lot of time inbetween to relax and unwind. Most of the intense filming will be done on weekends while 2 child actors are present.

Pay: $175 / day

With the location and budget I know this is not the project for everyone and I would like to have a larger budget but it is what it is, everyone else is working for free. It will be a nice get away from your normal shoots. If you have a link to some of your work, that would be helpful.

Cast: Generally 2-4 characters per scene

Cameras: 1

email: brandon AT onwardmotionpictures DOTCOM

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seriously though, this belongs on CL, not here.

True, perhaps, but there are some folks here who might have fun on this kind of job.

Once again, the money is low, but it's not like the OP is asking for the sound guy to get screwed while camera gets rental and pay, etc. That's a Craig's List post.

This might be a nice collaborative effort, and it seems the OP recognized that he can't do sound on his own, and it'd be wise to pay someone as opposed to getting a friend to do it for free.

I think this is different than the others. Maybe give him a break?

True, perhaps, but there are some folks here who might have fun on this kind of job.

Once again, the money is low, but it's not like the OP is asking for the sound guy to get screwed while camera gets rental and pay, etc. That's a Craig's List post.

This might be a nice collaborative effort, and it seems the OP recognized that he can't do sound on his own, and it'd be wise to pay someone as opposed to getting a friend to do it for free.

I think this is different than the others. Maybe give him a break?

Thanks for the feedback everyone, to be honest I did underestimate the cost of quality sound. It wasn't until I started looking into hiring that I found out I had not set aside proper funding for this. My next project will be shot in LA for this reason! Yes it may not be a good gig for the working professional with credits obviously but maybe it will interest someone to get away from LA for awhile to work on a little project that has the chops to get what we need. Oh yea, I am also DP'ing it. (Harsh comments welcome "Are you acting in it too?") But, I have been a professional architectural photographer for years. Shooting on Black Magic Cinema camera if it is out by then, or FS100.

I saw this on CL. Definitely a decent thing for a 25 or younger with a Zoom and NTG-2 or something. If there were guaranteed beautiful women with loose morals, guaranteed Newcastle or better grade brews, and guaranteed NOT FAST FOOD I'd do it LOL!

Gotta say...last time I did something like this I was absolutely exhausted for a week after and some of my gear took some punishment :(

You have to be kidding.... stay in a room with total strangers... sharing a bathroom and TV!!!! wait no TV..... forget it...

i worked in an ultra-ultra-ultra low budget production in Atacama Desert for 2 weeks, totally stranger crew; camping tent in mid of nowhere, mostly beans and spaguetti with tomato sauce for food, water from an arcaic abandoned well, no bathroom, just an old abandoned latrine. I could take a "bath" with a bucket only three times .

Mostly night shooting till 5:00 AM. and at 9:00 AM the tents became an oven so was imposible to sleep. No boom operator .Sound utility guy?,Whats that?, all day long with the bag under the sun walking through hills. I growed 8 pounds thin. I didnt known there was production mixers sopussy ;D . Here in Chile we all are warriors.

gallery_6466_94_59024.jpg

" It will be a nice get away from your normal shoots. "

no, not really...

you probably have some unreasonable expectations*, and don't really know how to make a movie...

that (and other stuff) said, for the right folks it might be a chance to get some "experience" and maybe even some learnin' (perhaps mostly how not to make a movie).

* for example, one big huge red flag: you would actually take a single, just released, pretty much unproven, newly available camcorder flavor of the month, with no experience working with it, on a multi-week shoot out in the "boonies" ... asking for major troubles!! scary!! definitely a wanna'-bee move...

*another red flag: when Producer, director, writer, editor, art, set, wardrobe, props, and G/E departments, (and sometimes even the star) are all one person, with no experience, and virtually no other crew...

and just how close is the nearest "Subway" ??

Edited by studiomprd

i worked in an ultra-ultra-ultra low budget production in Atacama Desert for 2 weeks, totally stranger crew; camping tent in mid of nowhere, mostly beans and spaguetti with tomato sauce for food, water from an arcaic abandoned well, no bathroom, just an old abandoned latrine. I could take a "bath" with a bucket only three times .

Mostly night shooting till 5:00 AM. and at 9:00 AM the tents became an oven so was imposible to sleep. No boom operator .Sound utility guy?,Whats that?, all day long with the bag under the sun walking through hills. I growed 8 pounds thin. I didnt known there was production mixers sopussy ;D . Here in Chile we all are warriors.

I was kidding Victor, I camp and hunt as a hobby and way of life... Don't school me on roughing it, or pretend you know what roughing it means...you have NO IDEA...

As for doing it on a job, for pennies, with people I don't know, in one room with one bathroom... I for one have grown up and moved past that type of situation... not just financially, but personally... I would rather do anything other than that... The bathroom comment is in politeness for others, not me if you get my drift.... you don't want to go in there after me..... for HOURS!!!!

For a young person, living at home, with the need to do SOMETHING, this may be fun.... and rewarding, with much learned in the process... but not for me.....

Watch the way you throw around words Victor.... you would NEVER say that to my face.... I can guarentee it...

As for warriors.... with the average annual salary what it is in Chile, you have to be... ;D

There are plenty of sound warriors and sound artists in the USA making films just like this in this manner in similar landscapes--I was one of them once. The diff with the soundies on this site is that they have done this sort of film already and moved on into the sound BUSINESS, for better or worse. A business has commitments and has to make money. I strongly recommend that newbies do this kind of project--they sharpen your skills and test your commitment. But for a sound businessman they are an impossibility.

To the OP--you seem like a reasonable cat and I bet you will get someone young and ambitious who will do a great job for you, and I wish you luck and give you props for forthrightness. However, you are unlikely to find your soundie on this forum....

phil p

I mean no disrespect to Brandon (the o.p.), but you know, I really gotta ask: at some point, might it not better to wait until you've raised enough money to make a better movie? There are some minimum costs involved, and free locations and free actors rarely result in a great film (even a good film). I agree, it can be an interesting learning experience, but you have to weigh that against the frustration factors and roadblocks that face you.

There are great books out there on budgeting and selling film ideas, and my advice would be to hold off making your film for $20,000 (or whatever the budget is), and find a way to raise the money to actually pay the actors ultra-low SAG minimums, pay for equipment and pay for experienced people. Trust me, there are tons of $100,000-$500,000 movies out there that get made like this, and while those are tough to do, it'll still give you a lot more options than a no-budget freebie.

All strictly IMHO. And there are always movies that defy logic and beat the odds. I worked on Robert Rodriguez' El Mariachi back in the day (only on the home video release) -- but note that film cost $5000 to shoot, and then over $100,000 to complete re-record and mix, once it got sold. More recently, Paranormal Activity cost about $15,000 to shoot, but went through $100,000 in post (I think closer to $200,000 for the DI).

Here's a great example of why hiring friends, using free/cheap labor, and wearing too many hats is a BAD IDEA.

http://youtu.be/Ffwc_6n8C1s

There were so many moments I laughed until I saw the ending. Now I feel guilty. The hazer in the face at the end is...just...yikes...Where did you find this?

There were so many moments I laughed until I saw the ending. Now I feel guilty. The hazer in the face at the end is...just...yikes...Where did you find this?

Yeah, I thought it was a comedy too. I couldn't stop laughing at all the smoke around the house. For a second I thought the building was on fire.

A friend of mine, who is just starting out acting, was one of the extras at the strip club. He told me he was in a bad movie and had sent me a link to check it out. I was laughing the whole time, sadly. The kicker is that the director/producer/DP/writer/makeup artist teaches cinematography.