Location sound recordist for 3 week shoot in Idyllwild, CA

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Mike, what a great example of how not to do... a lot of jobs on set. I think I know who made that. Maybe their sound guy wants to hop out to Idyllwild? Did they have a sound guy?

I watched all the way to the end. There was a sound guy/boom and second boom. There was post audio work done too. Too bad this was done so poorly cause the message was important.

Bernie

" Probably an over eagerness to get the message out there "

probably not having a clue!

Hey Mike, OP here...you're just another keyboard warrior. One that goes around insulting people they know nothing about. Much easier to say rude things to people on the internet because I know you wouldn't be such an ass or disrespectful in person. Anyhow, I have had a great response and even have someone interested for a little more money who has had not one but two films win Sundance. I am a talented working (yes, career) photographer and have worked with folks like Jeff Goldblum in the past. But, I have no financing to make anything but a micro budget film at this point, so it is what it is. I will come back in a few months and show clips of the film, thanks to those that offered support and sound advice, I really appreciate it!

HI, OP...

so you made "Insatiable" ?? congratulations...

" someone interested for a little more money who has had not one but two films win Sundance. "

well, dye my jeans!

I stand by what I said, and folks here will tell you that I speak my mind in person, as well.... sometimes its called "foot in mouth disease"...

I also take great note of what Marc W said " wait until you've raised enough money to make a better movie? " about the fact that it costs $$ to make a movie....

" I am a talented working (yes, career) photographer "... and so humble, too." ...But, I have no financing to make anything "

So let's see, 21 days at $175 = $3675, and for a beginner, with time available that could be tempting; oh, but the gear... well that is about a fair rental for a small kit, --but with no labor; so it really does seem that you are asking someone to invest in your movie. and as the only other crew person, that makes them pretty clearly your partner in production. so, first $ points ?? Yep, maybe you'll find someone who is looking for this sort of experience...

Well thanks for sticking with it, and us here...and really, all the best wishes.

Do come back to gloat when you win at Sundance...

and please tell Mr. Goldblum that SenatorMike sez hi...He'll probably remember me.

Edited by studiomprd

for the right folks it might be a chance to get some "experience" and maybe even some learnin'

i agree with this.

I mean no disrespect to Brandon (the o.p.), but you know, I really gotta ask: at some point, might it not better to wait until you've raised enough money to make a better movie?

well, this guy have 5 movies

http://www.imdb.com/...m1498570/awards

this is his first´s if we dont count a school short movie of them

he, his camera, and the actors.

the only cost was some HDV tapes.

His second moovie " En la cama" cost about the same as the payment that OP offer for the mixer , just a better camera and minimal crew.

this was only $8.000 , first moovie of the guy, just won LA indi fest foreign film.

http://laindiefilmfe...n-in-a-million/

Can someone make a good movie with loow money? "It depends" jeje. on your talent , and I am not meaning actors.(ther´s all about storytelling skill).

Also I don't know what a whithout is.

The trailer you posted literally looks like a fool with a camera chasing fools without cameras.

edited ,sorry, i am no native english speaker.

what i try to show is that if you have enough tallent and skills you can make a movie whith near zero cash, and starting from that you can make a carreer. I posted that video of " fool with a camera chasing fools without cameras" because at the begining shows a german prize that these "fool" won with this movie. theese micro budget movies allowed him to get a name and financial help to make biger proyects, and if you had red the IMDB that i have posted you would know that that fool won a Goya price. and now he can make a living of making movies. (Blair whitch proyect is a fool with a camera folowing other fools too, the bride movie I posted is the same kind, obviously it is just a sinopsis).

If you try to make Avatar without money it will be a disaster, But this is THE FIRST MOVIE of the OP. Everyone´s first movie is like that, on a micro budget. I was trying to state that he dont need to wait for more money, because it is his first moovie.

If he has the talent to tell a good story with a camera and actors, is enough for his first moovie to succed.

Yeah, I thought it was a comedy too. I couldn't stop laughing at all the smoke around the house. For a second I thought the building was on fire.

We had a running gag at Technicolor, if one of us walked into a session where there was heavy smoke in the scene on-screen, we'd always ask, "so what's on fire?"

I think it's possible to do a first film with a reasonable budget, but at the same time, I think it's insulting to make actors work for free (which violates SAG rules), and getting equipment for lower-than-reasonable rates, and asking experienced people to work below a certain rate. If it's two people arguing in a room for most of the movie -- kind of a My Dinner with Andre thing -- then I could see where it's possible to make it very inexpensively. But depending on a dozen or more other people to make the dream succeed is not fair to the other people.

I have no problem with student films where they truly are trying to learn the craft. I have worked with indie filmmakers where they have learned the stuff they don't teach in school -- namely that it's almost as hard to raise the money for the film and then sell the film to a distributor as it is to make the film in the first place. I remember one experience where a friend of mine finished shooting a film and said, "wow, I'm glad that's over," and I said, "no -- it's just beginning. Now we have to go through post-production, and then you have to sell it... and all that takes a huge amount of time and effort." It turned out to be monstrously more difficult than everybody anticipated.

Victor,

I don't understand your argument.

I'm not convinced this gentleman's future films are better.

what i try to show is that if you have enough tallent and skills you can make a movie whith near zero cash, and starting from that you can make a carreer...

... I was trying to state that he dont need to wait for more money, because it is his first moovie.

If he has the talent to tell a good story with a camera and actors, is enough for his first moovie to succed.

I m just trying to say him that the money will not make his first movie better.

I understand that saying the OP made "insatiable" was a joke. Or it wasnt?

the guy came to the wrong place, thats true. Tell the owner of the site to remove the post if he bothers you, or to dictate a few rules

for posting in this section as said before

" it's almost as hard to raise the money for the film and then sell the film to a distributor as it is to make the film in the first place. "

it's harder to raise the money for the film and then sell the film to a distributor than it is to make the film in the first place.

" At least save up enough $ for a tripod. "

or a slider

" I m just trying to say him that the money will not make his first movie better. "

yes it will (if properly spent)

it's harder to raise the money for the film and then sell the film to a distributor than it is to make the film in the first place.

Probably true! Some people slam executive producers and other high-ranking above-the-line people, but the reality is, if these are the guys that make the deal to get the movie made in the first place, then they deserve the credit and the accolades (plus the big bucks).

I'd tell the o.p., don't overlook the need for P.I.P.: permits, insurance, and production assistants. All three will save you heartache and problems in the end, and (especially in the case of good PAs), they might save you half an hour or more a day in terms of helping to move equipment, get things plugged in, nail down props, cue actors, and all the other myriad of things that go on during production.

Cheers to that sir! Both my top choices. I wish I coulda made it to the GB get together and enjoyed a pint with you and everyone else. A bit of advice for all sound mixers out there...if you get a gig recording a drag queen show on the sunset strip, clear all your plans for the next day :)

+1 (however substitute Newcastle for Guiness) haha