Flying with your gear

cstauffer

So I have the fortune of flying up to Yellowknife in the Northwest Territories in Canada to do some work for a couple days. Right away I think transporting my gear there will be interesting. Discovered the gear is easy, but the batteries that power the gear, not so much. The batteries all need to be sent to a special company that packages Dangerous Goods for air travel! I get it. Batteries can be a fire hazard in a cargo hold with no one watching over it. Airlines get a little worried when something might crash their planes. I just hope it makes it there without getting bumped or something because they do not like the looks of the package. I will have to bring a plan B I think. I use rechargeables. Lithium ion iPower 9 volt batteries, NiMH AA rechargeables, and NP style Lithium Ion batteries. Anything with Lithium the Airlines want to especially stay away from. Anyhow, anyone else had these troubles flying with your gear?

CRAIG

as long as you tape over your terminals and hold to the guidelines there should not be any issues. I have heard of some guys that check the 2 batteries and carry another 2 with themselves to cheat their way around the guideline. The main thing Is to gaff tape the terminals so that there is no chance of a short.

So use alkaline and there won't be an issue. I left YK in March, great restaurants, speed limit is 45 km per hour, 20,000 people in the middle of nowhere, 14 storey high rises and $500,000 single wide mobile homes. Be prepared for snow, Norman Wells had a couple of feet last week. Great people and lots of bare rock, don't go to Bullocks in old town $80.00 for fish and chips for 2 people. People wander into traffic so keep an eye out. Driving to Edmonton takes 19 hours with buffalo on the road. I have the name of the go to guy if you need help. He's a shooter and also does audio. Contact me if you need any info.

Canadian rules are found here.

http://www.catsa.gc.ca/Page.aspx?ID=120&pname=GuidelinesForBatteries_ConseilsRelatifsAuxPiles&lang=en

Some relevant info from the site:

Not all air carriers permit batteries in checked baggage. Specifically, lithium batteries carried in personal devices such as laptops or cellular phones may or may not be permitted in checked baggage, depending on the air carrier. Please consult your air carrier’s website for more information.

• Lithium ion batteries with a watt-hour (Wh) rating of 100 Wh or less may be carried as spare batteries in carry-on baggage, or in equipment in either checked or carry-on baggage with the approval of the air carrier.
  • Lithium ion batteries exceeding a watt-hour (Wh) rating of 100 Wh but not exceeding 160 Wh may be carried as spare batteries in carry-on baggage, or in equipment in either checked or carry-on baggage. No more than two individually protected spare batteries are allowed per person with the approval of the air carrier.

Heh fieldmixer. Finding out lots of stuff thanks to everyone here, especially Mike above. Each airline can impose their own rules regarding batteries and can refuse you allowing them to be brought on, carry on or checked. There are also specific International and regional regulations. Best be aware of them because if there is that one time you are checked, airlines can disallow them on the flight, especially the Lithium NP style, and then you are possibly out of luck for powering options. I suspect that lots of people have been getting lucky with regards to packing batteries in whichever manner has been happening so far. What the airline does not know can't hurt them I guess you would say?

I have since learned that NiMH AA's are pretty much ok as long as you keep them stored properly, ie. so they can't short, in any amount. The iPower 9 Volts more than likely ok as well, but no definite answer that I can find. It appears as though the small amount of lithium in them is not as much of a worry as the bigger batteries with Lithium in them. Apparently NPs below 100wH are unlimited amount for carry on. Above 100wH power you should have no more than 2 per person on carry on. Above 160wH they must be specially packed and labelled as dangerous goods in the eyes of the international laws. Most Lithium batteries in the NP style cannot be in checked baggage floating around in your baggage. Must be specially packed. I have since learned you can pack them yourself, according to the guidelines and label them yourself. The IDX website had very good info on this with links to paperwork and warning signs to be put on packaging. Though not sure if all the links are international or just US.

Regardless, be careful when travelling with your batteries. You might find yourself without them all of a sudden. Thanks for all the info guys. I am just going to carry it all on. Wish me luck!

Travelled the world with gear and all kinds of batteries- Never had an issue with both carry on or checked luggage. From time to time my ENG bag gets the swab test by the TSA but that's about it. Recently TSA make me check my boom pole because they fear I might crack someone's skull with it- yet they let the camera guys carry on a hefty tripod- go figure!

Travelled the world with gear and all kinds of batteries- Never had an issue with both carry on or checked luggage. From time to time my ENG bag gets the swab test by the TSA but that's about it. Recently TSA make me check my boom pole because they fear I might crack someone's skull with it- yet they let the camera guys carry on a hefty tripod- go figure!

This was my most recent experience. I was surprised BUT the agent thought it was tripod then let me carry it on. Good conversations, but I think there are some threads on this topic including bag case reccomendations for overhead compartments

Yes, I had the same thing happen to me. Made me check my short pole in baggage. Had no case for it so I zap strapped it to my checked baaggage and hoped for the best. Made it to Easter Island and back to Vancouver, Canada without any war wounds. Lucky...

Oh, forgot one thing. Westjet has disallowed any more than 2 iPower 9volts. Oh well. Seems ridiculous to me. Have to buy 9 volts in Yellowknife. Rest of the batteries they are allowing in my carry on with a max of 2 NP-7S. I will divide the rest amongst the crew going with me. Everyone is happy...

I just flew with about 30 Ipower 9v's, WestJet didn't say "boo"

Oh, forgot one thing. Westjet has disallowed any more than 2 iPower 9volts. Oh well. Seems ridiculous to me. Have to buy 9 volts in Yellowknife. Rest of the batteries they are allowing in my carry on with a max of 2 NP-7S. I will divide the rest amongst the crew going with me. Everyone is happy...

Im sorry but I don't understand how a specific airline can even know what you are carrying aboard. It's not like "they" check your carry on. How did you find out WestJet only allow 2 lithium 9volts? I don't know anyone using 100watthr+lithium np1s.

Regarding boom pole, it's considered a camera tripod for which there is a specific provision in the manual. If you are asked about it, say it's considered the same as a still camera tripod and it's accepted as such in the "security" manual.

I've had a security person say he wouldn't allow it, I prompty asked for the shift lead, or head supervisor, explained the provision and was given the nod. Don't let yourself be jerked around by big headed airline "security" workers. What do they think, all our gear and call sheets and production details are a cover story to bring a pole on board and hit someone with it??? madness.

I've been flying around the states and overseas with charged NP's as carry-on, and never have been asked about them. I like to take what I need to complete my job, and not risk having to use the excuse of "the airline lost my luggage" to an important client, cause it will most likely be the last time you will.

Fieldmixer...You guys are right I suppose about westjet. It is only if they check. As of now security is the only one that checks and their policy is any number as long as they are properly secured from shorting and it is within the specific airlines guidelines. I guess I do not want to be that one time, and have to tell the show I am working for that they would not allow my batteries, but I do see that lots of you are doing it and there are no problems.

Fieldmixer do you know where to find that provision about boom poles?

CRAIG