2-channel A/D converters with spdif/optical out?

JonG

I am trying to see if there happens to be some sort of AD converters of high quality (like Apogee for example) that accept line in, and output in spdif or adat optical without having to actually connect it to a computer to set up the output settings.

The purpose for this is quite simple really: I have a great computer recording system with great mic pres and converters, but a studio I am doing a lot of work at needs to run their own system, but the converters are taking the life out of the sound, even when I bring my mic pres along with me. Their interface has spdif and adat optical, but their computer is super out of date, and I would like to be able to bring along a small "interface" or A/D converter that will accept line inputs from my mic pres, and put out digital audio that I can connect to their interface without having to actually plug the device into the computer and worry about drivers and software for a computer that is more than likely not supported by anything.

I know that Apogee had a product called the Mini Me that seems to be pretty much what I am looking for, but I do not remember if it requires being connected to a computer to set it up or run it.

Any thoughts?

fyi this is for music, which is why I say that the converters are "taking the life out of the sound". There is a noticeable difference in the sound when using the same instrument through the "high z" input of my interface vs theirs for example, and I am really trying to keep some sort of sonic continuity throughout the recordings that we are doing.

You have lots of options I think depending on budget.

The Sound Devices Mix Pre D should be able to do what you are asking.

These Black Lion Audio converters are well thought of in the music world - I've never used them myself but I have had the company mod one of my interfaces and it made a huge improvement! http://www.blacklionaudio.com/content.php?p=29

You can also find a used Apogee Rosetta 200 on eBay pretty easily - its a full rack space unit but if the size is ok it's a great converter.

You can also check out something like the Lavry AD10 - a great sounding converter!

In the way upper price range there are options like the Forsell MADA -2 or the Burl Bomber ADC that are top of the line.

Hope this helps!

-Mike

The Sound Devices Mix Pre D should be able to do what you are asking.

Not the MixPreD, but the USBPre2 will do all this.

Line, Mix, Aux, TOSLink and S/PDIF inputs.

Line, Aux, TOSLink, S/PDIF and USB Streaming outputs.

Can run in standalone mode off of a USB 5v adapter. Setup parameters are set with DIP switches.

USBPre2 also has better fidelity, where the MixPre-D is a bit noisier due to the analog mix-buss design, was never intended to be used as a primary 2-channel converter, although great in every other respect and noise performance is in no way a hit against it when used in the role it was designed.