Zax wireless belt clips

greg sextro

They can be very stiff, but I've grown accustomed to working with them. It can be a challenge sometimes when trying to clip to someones heavy belt or the waistband of denim or something like that, where you sit there struggling for a few seconds trying to get it to clip. I've invested in Neopax waist, thigh, and ankle straps too, though, so I always have a backup plan if needed, but so far haven't ever been unsuccessful at getting it clipped, just took a little longer.

A little criticism, despite the high spring of the clip, it doesn't necessarily seem to hold that much better than other designs. I find that the unit will sometimes work its way off, despite of the tension, almost like the tension of the wire helps the unit to work loose just as much as it helps to keep it on, if that makes sense. Perhaps a revision to the design could be investigate to help this.

They can be very stiff, but I've grown accustomed to working with them. It can be a challenge sometimes when trying to clip to someones heavy belt or the waistband of denim or something like that, where you sit there struggling for a few seconds trying to get it to clip. I've invested in Neopax waist, thigh, and ankle straps too, though, so I always have a backup plan if needed, but so far haven't ever been unsuccessful at getting it clipped, just took a little longer.

A little criticism, despite the high spring of the clip, it doesn't necessarily seem to hold that much better than other designs. I find that the unit will sometimes work its way off, despite of the tension, almost like the tension of the wire helps the unit to work looks just as much as it helps to keep it on, if that makes sense. Perhaps a revision to the design could be investigate to help this.

I have the same kind of issue. They are extremely tight clips, but still seem to slip right off denim and the like. I think what I will try is a bit of really heavy grit sand paper to roughen up the contact points of the polished clip, providing a bit more gripping power (i hope).

I have the same kind of issue. They are extremely tight clips, but still seem to slip right off denim and the like. I think what I will try is a bit of really heavy grit sand paper to roughen up the contact points of the polished clip, providing a bit more gripping power (i hope).

Not familiar with the clips but if they can be removed and have an open end maybe some shrink tubing would make them less slippery.

Not familiar with the clips but if they can be removed and have an open end maybe some shrink tubing would make them less slippery.

Heat shrink is a good idea and would be a good solution, except the wire clips are so tight that adding anything would tend to make them worse. Zaxcom needs to come up with a new design as well as clip-on cases for their transmitters.

Note: A Zaxcom TRX900 transmitter will fit in a Lectrosonics Leather Pouch for SMa Transmitter. Cut off the the top straps with the snaps, otherwise they're in the way. The transmitter fits snugly enough that there's little danger of it falling out. Perhaps a Lectrosonics Leather Pouch for IFB R1A Receiver would work for some of the other Zaxcom transmitters.

• 2 months later...

I too, find the clips hard to use and generally unsatisfactory. Just this week I had one clipped to the belt of a heavy guy and it flew off--just launched itself--and ended up dangling by the mike cable. I like the idea of using a leather pouch like the one for the SMa. This could provide some protection for the transmitter in hostile environments. I seem to find myself in those regularly.

I too, find the clips hard to use and generally unsatisfactory. Just this week I had one clipped to the belt of a heavy guy and it flew off--just launched itself--and ended up dangling by the mike cable. I like the idea of using a leather pouch like the one for the SMa. This could provide some protection for the transmitter in hostile environments. I seem to find myself in those regularly.

TRX900LT(H)'s fit very well in a lectro SMQv leather pouch. TRX900LA's are too tall.

I assume the clips are similar to the ones on the ERX2TCD's?

They are very stiff. I've found an iPod case that should work. I haven't received them yet. I'll test them out and take pics or a video.

I know this doesn't apply much here. But for you that own ERX's, it might be good info.

I assume the clips are similar to the ones on the ERX2TCD's?

They are very stiff. I've found an iPod case that should work. I haven't received them yet. I'll test them out and take pics or a video.

I know this doesn't apply much here. But for you that own ERX's, it might be good info.

Incidentally I was a bit miffed that the ERX2TCDs don't seem to ship with the belt clip - at least the three that have come my way haven't. AFAIK Zaxcom want twenty bucks each for 'em plus shipping. For a piece of wire on a £500 receiver that struck me as little steep - as did my dealer - who generously gave me some Senny belt clips for free that fit perfectly!

I have had a lot of difficulty with these clips as well and have gone to using the Neopax when possible. I stuffed one of my 900LA's right into the pants of a woman a couple weeks ago after multiple failed attempts to get the unit clipped on. Not the most comfortable thing to ask a woman to do if you know what I mean but she was okay with it. She had no pockets. I'm thinking there must be some brand of cell phone pouch that can work. As far as the ERX's are concerned, I use the pouches that come with the Blackberry Bold. Fit great into them and add protection. I have the first generation one's that seem like they will break if you sneeze on them.

Alright Gents.

I received my cases for my ERX2TCD's yesterday.

Here is what I bought: http://www.ebay.com/...=item35c221fc76

They are very nice cases. But two problems. First is it doesn't have a clip or anything on the back. Second it was a VERY tight fit. If you need to get it out quickly for a battery change, not going to happen. I'm hoping over time the leather will become more manageable.

I do like how the on/off switch is protected. It also has a built in screen protector. I haven't tested them out in the field yet.

I've attached some pics.

post-1212-0-83011100-1357088834_thumb.jp

post-1212-0-81389500-1357088899_thumb.jp

post-1212-0-18473700-1357088948_thumb.jp

post-1212-0-03026300-1357089004_thumb.jp

post-1212-0-30583400-1357089070_thumb.jp

On the topic of cases for the ERX, this one from LeeValley tools is a perfect fit, offers great all around protection, and has a robust quality feel. I like the large magnetic flip flap. Volume knob and switch are well protected and unit slides in and out of pouch with just the right amount of light resistance. The belt clip is really intense. It won't come off by mistake. It has a hooked curl on the bottom of the clip. It does add bulk to the unit but not much you can do about that. Ive mounted this case on many different cameras with very few issues. I lay a three inch strip of snot tape along the back of the clip and stick to camera. I picked up two at the HQ location here and cant see there being a better option unless something is custom made. The pictures on the site don't quite do it justice. I'll post my own shortly.

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=69132&cat=1,43413