Job interviews

TheBlimp

Back from the interview which was a bit strange. No detailled questions about skills or where I'm coming from. The man said they're about to re-organize their infrastucture, but it was all a big secret and he kind of made a fuss about it. He told me it's good to have something one loves to do, but maybe one should consider keeping it as a hobby - that was the beginning of the interview. I can't remember exactly what I replied, but I kept my calm and made sure he understood I'm not some guy who knows where to point the mic and thinks that's all to it there is. He said he'd ask around and see what he could do, maybe in the sound reinforcement dept. I said no, that's not what I'm applying for. I told him I'm not there to steal his time, but that I'd like to make sure he understands I'm not a total beginner and that I'm not desparatley looking for any kind of job, e.g. his aformentioned sound reinforcement, but that I'm about recording and post, and pointed out that I've edited and mixed trailers for nationwide TV - which was about 10 years ago, but none the less. His ears stood up a bit and he asked if I could imagine working in audio post, to which I replied well, I don't know what system they're using, and he said that wouldn't be a prob, I'd get proper adjustment time. I was a bit baffled because I thought that in our previous phone calls we'd agreed upon an application for news gathering. He said he couldn't promise a full time thing, to which I replied part time would be perfect anyway, because I'm running a small business, still studying and have another part time job, which I'd consider parting with, but anyway, part time would be perfect. He said great, he'd ask the post dept. Then suddenly he pointed out there'd always be the occassional ENG job, and that he was fed up with one or two guys who insisted on their lunch breaks when they were supposed to shoot someone arriving at the airport and flat out missed the plane. I felt he tried to lay out a little booby trap and gave a neutral answer, as in: I'd better not to diss these two guys - even though I found it hilarious. I said something in the vein of that I like lunch breaks myself, but have no hard time postponing a schnitzel feast in the middle of a combat situation. He said yes yes he'd see what he could do, I gave him my application papers and got lost on my way out of the building. Weird. :blink::lol:

Possible new career pathway, but gotta be in shape and VERY people friendly, as far as Fury sees it. Stumbled into Coffey Sound a few days ago. Amazing experience, for what could easily have been much, much different. After all, Fury is pretty much PNG here on this forum.

First I park the macchina and pop the boot open. Out of nowhere, appears an employee, who helps (actually did it solo) extricate Fury's Pelican case, full of gear, out onto the tarmac. Then he offers to find Fury's contact person,which he does, forthwith-all before Fury gets to the front door! Service and attentiveness were-three tens, but nothing less was expected. What was unexpected, was seeing the personnel (human resources) scampering across the work space, to expedite various tasks-not once, but several times. And those were mostly the secretarial pool. No frozen bon bons there. Really extraordinary and Fury so remarked to all who would listen and many of those, who didn't so desire. Felt like encountering valets, caddies and teaching professional, at a country club. Try as he might, much unlike The Country Club in Reseda, back a decade or so ago, no gratuities were accepted. Some sound celebrities arrived as well. Incredible array of knowledge available there. Gotta hope the management philosophy maintains.

Now to the career. If Fury had his youth, different personality and was passionate about this field, this would seem a reasonable entry point (if were even available). BTW, Fury has never communicated with the ownership, their representatives or agents (except on this public forum and by phone and on that visit) and has no relationship ,except as a customer... who hasn't even purchased anything from them! The only thing that was amiss, was the secretarial comment that one of Fury's sons, who was present, appeared to the observer, as his brother, when Fury quite obviously, appears vastly more youthful. They are well trained...

Second career pathway, that came to fury's mind was field operations manual, for, at least, Nomad. Noting the posts of some, professed experienced sound gear operators on this and other forum areas and hearing an incoming call, at Coffey, concerning methodology to get QRX to output Tc to a camera, from someone on set, expertly acquitted, by Ryan, it is clear that, "NOMAD FOR DUMMIES" is a glaring absence , in world literature. Fury is reasonably facile with words, for English being his non primary language, and has time for this project, possessing a mind that is partially algorithmic ( fairly extensive Crestron programming experience over a few decades). A collaborative effort, with a suitable, well versed in Nomad operations, might be a service to the community. Admittedly,the career pathway here is not lengthy, nor financially rewarding, but a service to the community and a supplement for handy reference, to the Zaxcom University pieces.

Thank you very much

Fury

This is constructive criticism and in no way is meant as disrespect but don't use words like "learnt" and "spoilt" and do not get hung up on dragging sticks or any other sort of pa or grip job. Show you are a team player and can be an asset to the team. After all, you admit not having a lot of experience and there is no other way to get it better than working for an established station that could springboard your skillset.

Jeff

" This is because they want to know how committed to the job you'll be, and some employers look negatively at people who have a family "

or maybe they will look positively and consider a family person to to be more stable and committed...

This depends. You have to get a vibe from the people doing the interview.