iOS 6 (yikes!)

Johnny Karlsson

So, I have been using Apple products since 1998, when I bought a G3 to run Cubase VST for music production. Love most of their stuff in general.

Now, iOS 6. (more like pOS 6)

I did the update last night and really wish I could go back to the previous version. Why?

- The Maps App sucks. No street view, stuff missing/wrong etc.

- Crashing !!! Almost never had this happen to my iPhone before. Simple things, such as moving an app to a different place on the dashboard restarts the phone (wtf!?!)

-Passbook - maybe I'm missing something, but the only thing that happens when I open this app is nothing. The one and only button that says "App Store" opens App Store and a banner comes up "cannot connect to the App Store". Funny thing is that if I hit search or top 25 etc. - it's connected.

-App Store. Buttons such as "Install", "Free" and such display garbage code like "+K2DActionButton.button.Text.Open" - are we beta testing here???

Steve Jobs would be outraged.

Ok, rant over.

I'm happy as well.. Have no issues at all, in fact I feel like the phone is a bit faster... That might have something to do with me erasing a lot of pictures though.

Sad to hear you're having problems

But I agree, the map app sucks. I used google maps like crazy before, and this is very, very embarrassing for Apple.

Google will probably release a standalone maps.app for iOS. They are about to lose a few million users in the next 4 days as people get new phone, and update old devices. Google doesn't make a dime when you don't use their services. Google has said they would never release the navigation part of their maps app for the iOS version, and reserve it for Android. In that aspect, Apple stepped up and provided a bundled one. Supposedly that app will be sharing data with Waze, and that info is far superior to google when it comes to traffic issues.

Btw I have not had any issues with my update on my iPad. My phone hasn't arrived yet. It's doing laps around PA and NJ in the FedEx system.

Not all of the features are available on all of the phone versions

1. Flyover is available only on iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPad 2 or later, and iPod touch (5th generation). Cellular data charges may apply.
  2. Siri is available on iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPad (3rd generation) and iPod touch (5th generation), and requires Internet access. Cellular data charges may apply.
  3. FaceTime video calling requires a FaceTime-enabled device for the caller and recipient, and a Wi-Fi connection. FaceTime over a cellular network requires iPhone 4S, iPhone 5 or iPad (3rd generation) with cellular data capability. Availability over a cellular network depends on carrier policies; data charges may apply.
  4. Offline Reading List is available on iPhone 4 or later, and iPad 2 or later.
  5. Made for iPhone hearing aids require iPhone 4S or iPhone 5.
  6. Panorama is available on iPhone 4S, iPhone 5 and iPod touch (5th generation).
  7. Find My iPhone and Find My Friends enable you to locate iOS devices only when they are on and connected to a registered Wi-Fi network or have an active data plan.

I have been using iOS6 for 3 months - a few crashes - expected of a beta version. However, this new iOS6 is rock solid and movie slate works perfectly. If it doesn't jeff, uninstall and reinstall it, then restart your phone.

People need to relax with the iOS maps thing - They are already working on fixes - and come on - everyone knows it will get better. I think it looks a hell of a lot better than google maps. it isn't messy and cluttered. Turn by turn is awesome. It is also at least 2X as fast.

It looks like iOS6 has broken MovieSlate. I'm pretty sure than anyone using MovieSlate on a job right now has probably held off updating their iPad. I'm not working, updated the iPad to iOS6 --- MovieSlate is frozen on launch and then quits.