Dialogue editing changed my production thought process

Jesse Flaitz

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The second edition of Dialogue Editing for Motion Pictures came out a couple of weeks ago. I'll take a little rest now. Who’d have thought a second edition could take so long (17 months)? Evidently I got ambitious, but I think it turned out well.

If you’d like to know how the new edition differs from the first, let me know on the forum and I’ll do my best to help you decide if you’ll benefit from the new one. Naturally, the short answer is “Of course, buy it,” but that doesn’t really do much for my credibility.

Remember, though, Christmas is coming. What better gift for Uncle Herbert, to whom you've given a lifetime's worth of ties and handkerchiefs, than three or four copies of a book about film production sound.? He’ll be speechless, which may be just what you want from him.

This is certainly at the top of my "To be acquired" list.  As fall starts to come around, so does the mass of Sundance projects, and I'm hoping to be back in the studio quite a lot over the next few months.

• 3 weeks later...

C-loop.

If the clip is real short, it starts to sound mechanical. But with five or six good seconds you can fill almost anything.

if it's really too short, you can always expand it with the "convolution reverb" technique. It works quite well and sometimes is quicker than assembling bits of RT and looping them

How do you go about that? I've never done it but have done plenty of dialog editing.

short answer: apply a convolution reverb to white noise and use you RT as the IR. 

Check this tutorial 

http://designingsound.org/2013/07/unlimited-dialog-airfill-to-fill-your-every-need/

the great thing about this technique is that they're no looping artifacts and you can use very short RT samples

short answer: apply a convolution reverb to white noise and use you RT as the IR. 

Check this tutorial 

http://designingsound.org/2013/07/unlimited-dialog-airfill-to-fill-your-every-need/

the great thing about this technique is that they're no looping artifacts and you can use very short RT samples

Thanks! It's so "obvious" now that I think about it.