Batteries for Tascam DR-680

Alessandro Gaffuri

I use an NP-1 with a BDS to power everything in my bag including the DR-680 and it lasts all day powering the mixer, the recorder, a couple of Lectros and one mic. Since the specs of the DR-680 say not to exceed 14 (I think) volts, I put in a variable output voltage regulator so it gets a constant 12 volts. I know some people say they feed the DR-680 directly from the NP-1, (which can put out 16.8 volts) but I didn't feel comfortable exceeding the specs.

It cost me about $30 for a variable output voltage regulator, a radio shack box and the switchcraft connectors. If you are interested in going this route, let me know and I'll send you some pictures and a link to where I bought the variable output voltage regulator. This solution has worked great for me.

I power a 302 and dr680 with np-1 from B4B and so far no need of power converter. I run for about 8-10 hours before I change battery.

I paid $115 for each battery and about $200 for the charger....very good price when comparing to IDX...

I power a 302 and dr680 with np-1 from B4B and so far no need of power converter. I run for about 8-10 hours before I change battery.

I paid $115 for each battery and about $200 for the charger....very good price when comparing to IDX...

• 2 months later...

I am looking to power my Tascam DR-680 with NP1 batteries and am considering buying the Hawkwoods NPR-FR2 adapter.

http://www.hawkwoods.com/products/details/details.php?code=npr-fr2&mainMenuItemToSlide=5&asi=np-70&asi2=mr4

It is designed to be used with the Fostex FR-2 but it looks like it should work with the Tascam DR-680. I have just contacted Tascam and Hawkwoods about it and I'm waiting for a response. I was wondering if anyone had used this adapter or knew anything about it.

I am looking to power my Tascam DR-680 with NP1 batteries and am considering buying the Hawkwoods NPR-FR2 adapter.

http://www.hawkwoods.com/products/details/details.php?code=npr-fr2&mainMenuItemToSlide=5&asi=np-70&asi2=mr4

It is designed to be used with the Fostex FR-2 but it looks like it should work with the Tascam DR-680. I have just contacted Tascam and Hawkwoods about it and I'm waiting for a response. I was wondering if anyone had used this adapter or knew anything about it.

that looks very similar to my np1 shoe for the Dr-680. When you speak to hawkwoods make sure they know it's for a dr-680, as the connection is center positive on the recorder rather than negative. Just needs opposite wiring which they do at no extra cost. Other than that works like a charm. I get about 6-8 hours runtime from a hawkwoods np35, or around 20 hours from a np70.

Thanks Sergio.

Intriguingly it would seem to have something to do with the regulated (12 volt) connector supplied by kortwich as the recorder will power up from the mains adapter without aa batteries (as you would expect). I guess i need to contact kortwich (hat) about this.

dan.

Thanks Mark.

So Mark you use a regulated HW Np1 shoe and Sergio you use a (native) 12v Deben battery.

I have Np1s batteries and 2 shoes, 1 of which i put a male/female Dtap connector so i could use the regulated (12v) Dtap connector from Kortwich (which they said would work) and look where it's got me :-)

Dan.

And to be fair to Allessandro (who's thread i've started to hijack) - What battery?

Without having used 1 myself, but based upon spec, price and Sergio's experience I would go for the DEBEN option (if i didn't already own NP1s).

I still maintain that the male/female Dtap connectors (PCX3) make a cheap (without switches) distribution system if you need 1 :-)

dan.

ps a few more tests on my Kortwich regulated power cable and i have some more incongruous results to report:

If I power up the recorder with both internal and external batteries present and then remove 1 of the internal batteries the recorder remains powered (i've not tried this while recording). Whats even more strange about this is when the internal batteries died on a previous occasion the recorder powered down (during a take - ouch) despite external power being present - my mileage is certainly varying(?)

that looks very similar to my np1 shoe for the Dr-680. When you speak to hawkwoods make sure they know it's for a dr-680, as the connection is center positive on the recorder rather than negative. Just needs opposite wiring which they do at no extra cost. Other than that works like a charm. I get about 6-8 hours runtime from a hawkwoods np35, or around 20 hours from a np70.

Hi Mark

I just looked again at your post. So did you send your adapter shoe back to Hawkwoods to be rewired? Also, the Fostex FR-2 and the Tascam DR-680 are both centre positive, so surely that wouldn't be an issue.

Hi Mark

I just looked again at your post. So did you send your adapter shoe back to Hawkwoods to be rewired? Also, the Fostex FR-2 and the Tascam DR-680 are both centre positive, so surely that wouldn't be an issue.

I bought it directly from hawkwoods, wired as such. Checking the model number it's the the NPA-90 shoe not the dedicated FR2 model.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 years later...

Sold my spare Tascam DR680 mk1 to a friend, and now trying to help him out with a spare battery as the Feelworld FW4600BP I could easily source years ago for myself has become rather rare/expensive!

So to update this thread for 2018, I believe this is the answer:

Get a USB 5V to 5.5 x 2.1mm 12V converter cable:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/USB-DC-5V-to-DC-12V-Step-Up-Cable-Module-USB-Power-Boost-Line-Step-Up/32820458733.html

Then all you need next is a super cheap USB powerbank:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2018-hot-sale-Ultrathin-12000-mAh-Portable-USB-Battery-Charger-Power-Bank-For-Iphone-Smart-Cell/32858041818.html

The Feelworld battery I used before (which would kinda almost sort of last me a whole day, thus I had two external batteries back then which was always plenty for even the longest day) was 4600mAh but rated for 12V.

This USB powerbank is claimed to be 12000mAh however for only 5V, thus I guess this powerbank would only last a little while longer than Feelworld battery I used to use (or maybe even about the same length, once you subtract out the effeciency losses from converting 5V up to 12V).

Am I correct in my assessments here, or have I made a fatal flaw? Or any other better or more affordable suggestions I should consider instead?

• 1 year later...
On 7/24/2018 at 10:05 AM, IronFilm said:

Sold my spare Tascam DR680 mk1 to a friend, and now trying to help him out with a spare battery as the Feelworld FW4600BP I could easily source years ago for myself has become rather rare/expensive!

So to update this thread for 2018, I believe this is the answer:

Get a USB 5V to 5.5 x 2.1mm 12V converter cable:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/USB-DC-5V-to-DC-12V-Step-Up-Cable-Module-USB-Power-Boost-Line-Step-Up/32820458733.html

Then all you need next is a super cheap USB powerbank:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2018-hot-sale-Ultrathin-12000-mAh-Portable-USB-Battery-Charger-Power-Bank-For-Iphone-Smart-Cell/32858041818.html

The Feelworld battery I used before (which would kinda almost sort of last me a whole day, thus I had two external batteries back then which was always plenty for even the longest day) was 4600mAh but rated for 12V.

This USB powerbank is claimed to be 12000mAh however for only 5V, thus I guess this powerbank would only last a little while longer than Feelworld battery I used to use (or maybe even about the same length, once you subtract out the effeciency losses from converting 5V up to 12V).

Am I correct in my assessments here, or have I made a fatal flaw? Or any other better or more affordable suggestions I should consider instead?

Hey.. I'm looking for an A/C *and* battery solution for my newly-acquired DR680.  Did you ever get that converter cable to see if it actually works? 

Sounds too good to be true -- if that works then any standard 5V USB wall adapter (with 2A output) and decent battery would work?!    I'm not an electrician and this regulated/unregulated conversation/testing is a bit more than I care to deal with -- although I understand that having reliable voltage is important.