"Portable" phones, 1989

Jeff Wexler

In the late 70's and early 80's I owned a mobile phone that was housed in a briefcase. The phone was powered by a set of rechargeable ni-cad batteries and the whole thing weighed about 18lbs. It did look really hi-tech, when you opened a leather bound briefcase and pulled out the handset to make a call. In those days you had to connect with the Mobile Operator, on only about 15 channels available and give her the phone number you wanted to reach. Since these were public airwaves, you could listen (although illegal) to any other phone call you wished.

The photo I've attached is of my Boom Operator, Jim Thompson, speaking with his wife on their anniversary, while on top of a mountain in British Columbia on the film "The High Country", circa 1980.

post-273-0-75701500-1348349732_thumb.jpg

In the late 70's and early 80's I owned a mobile phone that was housed in a briefcase. The phone was powered by a set of rechargeable ni-cad batteries and the whole thing weighed about 18lbs. It did look really hi-tech, when you opened a leather bound briefcase and pulled out the handset to make a call. In those days you had to connect with the Mobile Operator, on only about 15 channels available and give her the phone number you wanted to reach. Since these were public airwaves, you could listen (although illegal) to any other phone call you wished.

The stories you have to tell, Richard, are truly amazing, and the photos to go with it! My father had a briefcase phone, everything packed into a really nice leatherbound briefcase with brass hinges and latch, a huge and heavy Ni-Cad battery, and each call, as you said, had to be placed through a mobile operator. Pop used to take the briefcase out and set it on the table in a restaurant and proceed to make some silly and quite meaningless phone call: "Hi honey, I'll be home in an hour" with that 15 second phone call probably costing several dollars --- it was worth it I guess.

Years ago the daughter had a soccer coach who was an MD. He would be seen walking around the field with his "bag" phone

on his shoulder held by the same hand that was holding the handset to his ear. I kept warning him that he was

holding a brain zapper next to his head. 5 Watts at point blank range.

My videotape operator in 1986 was heavily into phones (being a former phone guy), and he had a small portable suitcase/phone he would bring around from time to time. Quite a novelty back then. I think the damned batteries alone must have weighed 6-7 pounds.

I was the first person I knew personally who even had a car phone, and that was in 1989. Back then, I think it cost about a buck a call, so I kept it to a bare minimum, calling home or work when I was running late or had an emergency, maybe a dozen times a month tops. Ehhhhh, these kids today, with them unlimited minutes... in myyyyyyy dayyyyy, we didn't have none of that, dagnabbit!

b213973677.png