iOS6 and older devices

NewEndian

The latest version of Apple's development tools for iOS does not support armv6 devices. This means that I can't easily build for both iOS 6 and iOS 4.2.1 users. These are the devices that will be affected:

iPhone 3G (not 3GS)

iPod Touch 2nd Generation

I can try to figure out a work around (not that there necessarily is one), but I wanted to hear from people still using those two devices. I may have to drop support for them.

-James

All those people out there that are still happily using one would disagree with that thought. If it is "old" but still functions perfectly should I be forced to throw it out so large companies can profit from my forced upgrade? I love new technology but I hate the thought of perfectly good devices going into land fill....

Oh I agree, but its the way the game goes. I know several people still on 3GS's and they know and are happy that they have gotten so many years of support from Apple on an old product. If it were any Android product after two years the thing would be archaic and more than likely it wouldnt even support the next version of the OS. Apple has made sure their OS has run and supported their old devices for many years. But sooner or later youve just gotta stop putting the money into it. Besides, working well or not, after having a 3GS that long theres no reason to not get a free upgrade to a iPhone 4 and start a new contract. Why would anyone who keeps the same phone for so many years mind being in a new two years contract? So why not start a new one and get a newer, better, more up to date phone and start the whole thing over again?

You guys have good points, really. Doesn't seem like there's a reason to keep a 4 year old device when the phone contracts will give you an updated version, but it does seem like a shame about our consumer driven economy and throwing out perfectly good devices.

What I'd like to know is: does anybody with FreqFinder and/or LectroRM still use an iPhone 3G/iPod Touch 2nd Generation?

All those people out there that are still happily using one would disagree with that thought. If it is "old" but still functions perfectly should I be forced to throw it out so large companies can profit from my forced upgrade? I love new technology but I hate the thought of perfectly good devices going into land fill....

You are not forced by the large profit hungry companies to upgrade a device that is still serving you well, but the problem is that lots and lots of companies (and in this case, the developer of FreqFinder) move forward, provide more features and functions, so much so that your old device may NOT serve you so well. If all you want to do with your old cell phone is make phone calls, then your old Motorola flip phone may "function perfectly" for you and you will not be subject to any "force" to upgrade. Apple, or any other tech company, doesn't just come out with OS upgrades to obsolete the older devices, and most companies have been more than generous with legacy support for years and years. I think there may even be people out there still running Windows 95 because it does everything they need it to do (which won't be much I can imagine).

You guys have good points, really. Doesn't seem like there's a reason to keep a 4 year old device when the phone contracts will give you an updated version, but it does seem like a shame about our consumer driven economy and throwing out perfectly good devices.

What I'd like to know is: does anybody with FreqFinder and/or LectroRM still use an iPhone 3G/iPod Touch 2nd Generation?

3GS, w/ both

phil p

SIde note: Be careful with the Iphone 5 and LTE data. A friend of mine is saying that even when he is connected to WIFI the phone still uses LTE data. People are trying to use WIFI as much as possible :because of the data limitation of ATT" and will be shocked when ATT troutle their data... Another dirty trick broad to you by APPLE....

My phone is 3 years old and still does everything your phone does. The constant upgrade is unnecessary and forced upon you by SAMSUNG and Apple.
<br /><br />If you're phone is the 3GS then that's actually not true. Besides some hardware improvements like a better camera there are some iOS limitations as well:<br /><br />-no Siri<br />-less options in maps<br />-no FaceTime<br />-no VIPs in mail<br /><br />Do you need it

My phone runs windows 7.5. I have voice command but don't use it because my car has it already. I only use voice command while driving. I have had dataless GPS navigation on my phone for the last 7 years starting with TOMTOM. Now I use Nokia drive. I have used Skype for a long time but never needed to have the camera on other then when skyping with my MOM. Vip in email... Have no idea what that is.

Oh I agree, but its the way the game goes. I know several people still on 3GS's and they know and are happy that they have gotten so many years of support from Apple on an old product. If it were any Android product after two years the thing would be archaic and more than likely it wouldnt even support the next version of the OS. Apple has made sure their OS has run and supported their old devices for many years. But sooner or later youve just gotta stop putting the money into it. Besides, working well or not, after having a 3GS that long theres no reason to not get a free upgrade to a iPhone 4 and start a new contract. Why would anyone who keeps the same phone for so many years mind being in a new two years contract? So why not start a new one and get a newer, better, more up to date phone and start the whole thing over again?

You are not forced by the large profit hungry companies to upgrade a device that is still serving you well, but the problem is that lots and lots of companies (and in this case, the developer of FreqFinder) move forward, provide more features and functions, so much so that your old device may NOT serve you so well. If all you want to do with your old cell phone is make phone calls, then your old Motorola flip phone may "function perfectly" for you and you will not be subject to any "force" to upgrade. Apple, or any other tech company, doesn't just come out with OS upgrades to obsolete the older devices, and most companies have been more than generous with legacy support for years and years. I think there may even be people out there still running Windows 95 because it does everything they need it to do (which won't be much I can imagine).

My phone is 3 years old and still does everything your phone does. The constant upgrade is unnecessary and forced upon you by SAMSUNG and Apple.

Nothing is forced on you. And re-read the two quoted posts above.

I did read the posts. So why do people upgrade from 4s? Are you saying there is no advertising campaign pushing for an upgrade? Are you saying that Apple and Google does not restrict new software technology on older phones? Hackers has shown over and over again that new Apple and Google technologies work on old phones. So IMHO YES! Apple and Google does artificially restrict older phones making you buy a new ones.

I did read the posts. So why do people upgrade from 4s? Are you saying there is no advertising campaign pushing for an upgrade? Are you saying that Apple and Google does not restrict new software technology on older phones? Hackers has shown over and over again that new Apple and Google technologies work on old phones. So IMHO YES! Apple and Google does artificially restrict older phones making you buy a new ones.

I guess man, I really dont feel that way at all. Nobody is making me update and 99.9% of the apps out there support all the way back to the 3G and 3Gs as does iOS 6. And besides, it's not like you NEED the latest new software technology but if you are the kind that wants it chances are you are also the kind that wants the latest hardware too! And jeez I mean you can get a current gen hardware for FREE every two years by renewing your contract. I dont know about you but I hate changing cell phone carriers and have been with the same one for almost ten years now, so knowing that Im in for the long haul, I dont mind renewing a contract every two years for a reduced price new phone.

What about Siri?

Example -- Siri

HA HA what ABOUT Siri?! Have you ever USED that thing?! Its silly. I have a 4S and only used it to ask stupid things like where to hide a dead body or where does it live? Same as 99% of the people out there. Personally I can find info faster on my own that when using Siri.

But yea, if you want that, and youre still rockin an older phone that doesnt have it, renew the contract and upgrade. Siri doesnt offer anything thats FORCING you to need it. I NEVER use it. On top of that Apple may someday enable it in all their devices once they get those new server farms and solor farms up and running. Never know. Then you too can ask Siri if shell marry you or what the best smartphone is.