Internet Explorer Log In

Jack Norflus

I didn't know about the 3rd party skin. That could very well be where the problem is. Since it could be a GDI incompatibility since that fancy skin uses rounded corners and alpha blending of the modal pop-up box and background dimming. Graphics primitive bugs (screen rendering) are common and very hard to debug since there are a multitude of drivers out there in the Windows world. Did you try removing the skin or Template and see if the log-in problem remains?

You can't just "remove" the skin, it's all the CSS and templates that provide the display of everything. There is a default skin that IPB provides and our testing of the default skin produces some of the same problems with some of the versions of IE on some of the versions of Windows on some of the computers we have tried. If you would like, Courtney, and you have the time, I could set you up with access to the default skin and you could try to sign in from the various computers you have. I believe that Laurence has already done this but it wouldn't hurt for you to try as well.

I will add that ALL of the skins available, including the default skin, have several templates that are browser aware and are specifically designed for those using IE to access the forum (knowing that certain graphics, like rounded corners, etc., don't work in IE). None of these IE specific things seem to be helping with this issue.

Lastly, how are you accessing the forum to make these posts? Firefox? Chrome?

UPDATE:

We have managed to go to a single page sign-in that avoids the pop up sign-in page we have been using. It was not possible to make this change browser aware so all of our users will be presented with the single page sign-in in place of the regular sign-in routine. The single page sign-in should solve the problems that a few Internet Explorer users were having and should not cause any problem or difficulty for any of our members with any of the current browsers.

Please let me know if there are any bugs created by this change.

Jeff,

The single page sign-in works great in both IE9 and Chrome. And it is much faster than that bogus pop-up window

I don't see any reason to regret the change. It is faster and returns you to whatever page you were on after sign in. Plus all iE9 users can log in without problems

• 2 months later...

Thank you, Jack, for reporting this. We did just do a fairly major update which included updates to the modal window Sign-In routine. I had hoped that we could stick with the Sign-In as it is now since I like it a lot better than the single page Sign-In we did before to accommodate the few who were having a problem. We'll see what we can do. In the meantime, how are you able to sign in?

I was having a lot of problems with this site and was working with Jeff and LB Abrams to try to find out what the cause was.   Certain text boxes like the reply box had light grey fonts and no Rich Text Ribbon to allow font changes or insertion of links or pictures.

Well I found my problem was that my IE9 browser was in "Compatibility Mode"   Which apparently breaks a lot of the features of this site.

To turn on and off compatibility mode click the small icon in the URL field just to the left of the Refresh Page Icon.(See attached screen grab)   IF the icon is colored, compatibility mode is turned ON.  If it is grey Compatibility Mode is turned OFF.

If you are having troubles check the Compatibility Mode and make sure it is turned OFF.

post-230-0-08723700-1358707725_thumb.jpg