CALIFORNIANS FLEEING TO BETTER MANAGED STATES

The Manhattan Institute for Policy Research released a report.

"September 24, 2012: A new report from the Manhattan Institute finds that more Americans have left California since 2005 than have come to live in it. This exodus represents a huge reversal to established patterns of domestic migration, and suggests that the Golden State is no longer perceived by most Americans as the land where dreams come true. Between 1960 and 1990, 4.2 million Americans moved to California from other states. But in the last two decades California has lost nearly all of that gain. Net domestic out-migration has averaged 225,000 residents a year over the past 10 years. To understand how California, the-cherished-destination, turned into California, the-place-to escape, the Manhattan Institute examined Census, IRS, and other data in unprecedented detail, revealing the factors driving the California exodus and offering lessons to other states from California’s continuing decline."

Read the rest here: http://www.manhattan-institute.org/pdf/press_release_cr_71.pdf

From Wikipedia...

"The Manhattan Institute received $19,470,416 in grants from 1985–2005, from foundations such as the Koch Family Foundations, the John M. Olin Foundation, Inc., the Lynde and Harry Bradley Foundation, the Scaife Foundations, and the Smith Richardson Foundation.[5] The Manhattan Institute does not disclose its corporate funding, but the Capital Research Center listed its contributors as Bristol-Myers Squibb, Exxon Mobil, Chase Manhattan, CIGNA, Sprint, Reliant Energy, Lincoln Financial Group Foundation, and Merrill Lynch.[6]

Bascially a who's who of the "work and go fuck yourself" elite.

Why would I listen to their mouthpiece?

Best,

Steven

If this is true, why are there more people than ever on our roads going to work on every freeway being rebuilt? Are they all just "others" aka Mexicans.... I just don't see it with my own two eyes. Now personally speaking, if I were able to control the "Way Back" machine and go back to the good old days before everyone came out here to Californian in droves I'd set it to the Mid 60's. But that's just me. Whoever says the future is over in Cali is crazy. It is being re invented again and again.

CrewC

I don't know.... I do meet a ton of Californians here in Dallas, many of them say they left for many of the same reasons in the article or work or some other reason. But the thing is your situation there is much like that in NY For every person who leaves there are probably 2 that just graduated high school somewhere in Nebraska or are coming to america and want to move there for what ever reason you can think of. Now a lot won't stay and the article says nothing about those who spend less than 10 years in the state. As it is highly likely at least part of there data comes from the census.

If folks want to leave CA then do it-- I see what Crew does, a hugely increased population compared to what I remember as a kid, and not only in LA. LA and SF anyhow are magnet cities for people, esp young people, from all over the world. Rents in SF have gone through the roof again--way too small a supply for the current demand.

phil p

From Wikipedia...

"The Manhattan Institute received $19,470,416 in grants from 1985–2005, from foundations such as the Koch Family Foundations, the John M. Olin Foundation, Inc., the Lynde and Harry Bradley Foundation, the Scaife Foundations, and the Smith Richardson Foundation.[5] The Manhattan Institute does not disclose its corporate funding, but the Capital Research Center listed its contributors as Bristol-Myers Squibb, Exxon Mobil, Chase Manhattan, CIGNA, Sprint, Reliant Energy, Lincoln Financial Group Foundation, and Merrill Lynch.[6]

Bascially a who's who of the "work and go fuck yourself" elite.

Why would I listen to their mouthpiece?

Best,

Steven

Yep. I agree.

California businesses are leaving in droves, or at least expanding out of state instead of in state. There are people who work for other states whose sole purpose is to headhunt california businesses to states like Nevada, Idaho, and Texas. I know we've been contacted by them. I know many trucking businesses have left due to CARB regulations as well as shops that "tune" high performance cars and cement manufacturing. If businesses leave, then people either get laid off and stay, or go with the business. According to everything I've seen, the population isn't decreasing, though, but the rate of population growth is really slowing down, which, if you drive on the 405 on a regular basis, could be a good thing.