Remote Audio Boom Box

LC21

I would be listening from the boom straight from the box though

There's no mic preamp in the box, and I believe it's wired to go out first to a mixer, and the mixer provides the input to the headphone amp, via the return wires. So what you say is not gonna work out I think.

Been using the Boom Box on a feature with Alex Altman. I really love it as a boom op. It'll last on a rechargeable 9 volt for the entire day. Also like how it gives me my own control over my headphone level. Only annoying thing I've noticed is that in order for mixer to hear me, they have to be switched over to their slate mic/comma on the mixer end, but that is with using the CL9, so I'm not sure any other system.

We also have a wireless rig that Alex made up with 3 systems... SMQV for TX, um200a (I think) as talkback and lectro IFB for comms. I also listen to boom through an MM-1. Everything powered by an NP batt and stored in a setwear bag on a belt. It's not too heavy and works pretty well, as long as all frequencies are clear of course lol.

I've posted this before -- this is Sound Devices' diagram of one method of doing a wireless boom with private IFB back and forth:

SDMM1BoomOpComm.jpg

While I would love a convenient way to have the boom op talk to me privately, generally I can live with talking to him (or her) only via a private line, and having him respond with a nod or just talking into the boom.

I've posted this before -- this is Sound Devices' diagram of one method of doing a wireless boom with private IFB back and forth:

SDMM1BoomOpComm.jpg

While I would love a convenient way to have the boom op talk to me privately, generally I can live with talking to him (or her) only via a private line, and having him respond with a nod or just talking into the boom.

Aside from the fact that you must retract the boom, it's easy enough to get return (private) conversation by fading the boom out and listening PFL. That way you don't need a second tx on the boom op.

So, after a lot of thinking I decided to go for just a custom modified remote audio MDR 7506 headphones with talkback mike.

I want to split the TA5 connector in 2 minijacks, one for a Lectro IFB system for my monitoring and the other for the tb mike to talk to the mixer through a skanky G2 system that I have.

The final question is now the following:

There are 2 versions of MDR 7506 talkback headphones that remote audio does, one with a dynamic mike and another with an electret. I would go for the electret, but does anyone have any thoughts on that?

To help solve any confusion, I'll mention that there are three basic versions: the "Boom Box", the "Boom Box v2", and the "Boom Box SX", all of which have a push-to-talk button and use that same 2-pair starquad boom cable extensions with 8-pin Neutricon connections.

The Boom Box SX has a push-to-talk button but no amplifier, and is for Sonosax and PSC PL circuits. The "Boom Box" and "Boom Box v2" both operate on a 9V battery to power an amplifier for boosting the talkback mic to line level and for providing sidetone to the boom operator (sidetone allows the boom op to hear their own voice).

The Boom Box v2 also has a high quality headphone amplifier so that the boom op can control their own volume and so that the boom box can receive a stereo headphone feed or a balanced line level signal (internally switch selected). Also, the v2 can provide 5V to power eletrect headset microphones (internally switch selected).

Remote Audio assembles their own miniature electret boom mic and articulated mount for attaching to commonly used headphones.

Glen Trew