wearing mixing headphones and intercom headphones at same time advice....

Jeff New Jersey

Hello,

Looking for any tips on headphone technique when you have to wear headphones such as a sony 7506 to hear your mix, but you also need to have a intercom headset on in order to hear cues and communicate with others when needed. I have owned a clearcom partyline system for about ten years and when ever I use it I am always bouncing between both headsets, or wearing half a headset of the audio mix on one side of my head and the clearcom on the other. It just seems wrong how I have been doing it and would like a better system.... Im sitting behind a panel mixer for a live event or webcast, im never floating around unless I need to take a few steps from the mixer....

Thanks for any help.

Jeff

Happy impending winter....

Not knowing what mixer you are using - is there any way that you could patch the intercom to a monitor return on your board?

That way you could balance the level of the two would be able to hear both the mix and the cues in your Sony's.

- Of course you want to be careful that it's not patched to an Aux that goes to the master mix.

(Jeff beat me to it while I was typing)

I've been getting annoyed wearing an earpiece for walkie's under sennheiser hd25's which are already tight. Soon as I get some time off I've been planning on wiring a cable to put the walkie output into one of my Nomad's return and then using the onboard slate mic and routing that to a spare output to go back to the walkie. I've yet to need all 6 outputs or 10 inputs so it shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks for the quick replies, Im using either a mackie 1604 vlz-3 or a mackie onyx 1620 when I run into this situation and I have always been paranoid with mackies of bleed through of signals from one place to another, so for that reason I have kind of always been shy of injecting the intercom signal into the board approach..... but I do admit I am pretty paranoid........

I wonder if something as simple as a MixPre might solve the problem -- just taking the mono mix bus output of your board, and then add a second (fadeable) source from the intercom. That'd be a pretty inexpensive solution.

I agree, I have run into instances where the 1600-series Mackie's had crosstalk under certain circumstances. Heck, we used to struggle with timecode bleed in the 1980s, when we sometimes had to route unbalanced timecode and balanced audio into analog lines, resulting in much chaos.

I can only see a submix of com and the mix if you have a headset that has a mic that can talk to the com system in use--you have to be able to answer if they call you etc.. About 30 years ago I made an isolating split headset audio/com the com side of which can plug into any normal video PL system--it works pretty well. I go back and forth between this thing (which is heavy) and just normal 7506 on one ear and whatever PL one-ear headset they have on the other ear, mostly so I can dump the com and go both ears on the mix if I need to for a moment. I've gotten used to the split moni thing I guess, that doesn't bother me any more. Some directors want to hear from you all the time, others don't care if you ever talk back, that kind of determines what sort of com monitoring I use.

phil p

I had this "request" on a show I was doing at the start of the year. As it was a brand new show and we were trying out some new things we went with it, as in all the sound crew, and everyone on the show. The style was taking a studio production out into remote locations. We had directors that wanted to be able to talk to everyone as needed.

It worked but it took so getting used too, as each mixer had up to 8 talent going at the same time. I had grand ideas of wiring the feed into my mix but never found the energy on my days off. I managed to get "used" to the in ear Comms feed with secondary talent in the same ear and main talent in the "free" ear.

Amazing what you can get used to if you have to!

I have always created a separate mix breaking out the RTS and adding Program with a dedicated mixer but that was for sports remotes. I would think it would work as well on a cart. I recomend the Remote Audio HN-7506 with boom mic. It has Sony drivers with a David Clarke type Headset. These are the best for loud environments. I think you can still buy a boom mic for the 7506 headphone as well.

Thanks for all the input, its making me think outside the box..... I was just brainstorming and one idea I may have come up with is stick this guy

http://www.unifiedco...shs1720-01.aspx

on the side of my standard mixing headset. And maybe drill out a little spot in the mixing earcup to allow the ear piece tube to go inside the earcup, not sure if it will allow enough volume to hear the intercom if it isnt stuck directly into ear. .....