Steadicam on "Bound For Glory"

Jeff Wexler

Jeff,

If you don't mind me asking, what was your participation on BFG? IMDB has you listed as "Sound Consultant".

I imagine at the time, these projects are just fun, hard, interesting, challenging, and so forth, and hold no hint of the historicity, or pre-iconic aura they eventually pick-up.

Best,

Steven

Jeff,

If you don't mind me asking, what was your participation on BFG? IMDB has you listed as "Sound Consultant".

Steven

I was the Production Sound Mixer on "Bound For Glory" for the entire 6 months of shooting, my first big union movie after joining the I.A., and the Union would not allow the movie to give me credit as the sound mixer (the production had to hire a stand-by mixer named Don Parker who mixed nothing but got the screen credit). Some irony considering that "Bound For Glory" was the Woody Guthrie story, celebrated folk singer, union organizer and activist.

For what reason?

Although I had joined the I.A., paid the $3500. in CASH (and this is 1974), I was in Seniority Group 3 as a new member. I was told in no uncertain terms that I was not allowed to accept employment until such time as all the Group 1 and Group 2 members were employed (and they added that this was a situation that had never occurred in the history of the Sound Local). Additionally, I was told that I could no longer do non-union work, that they would "find me and fine me). When I was hired to mix "Bound For Glory" the I.A. refused to even acknowledge that I was mixing the movie --- the production sound mixer of record was Don Parker who ultimately was also the one who was credited as such.

Although I had joined the I.A., paid the $3500. in CASH (and this is 1974), I was in Seniority Group 3 as a new member. I was told in no uncertain terms that I was not allowed to accept employment until such time as all the Group 1 and Group 2 members were employed (and they added that this was a situation that had never occurred in the history of the Sound Local). Additionally, I was told that I could no longer do non-union work, that they would "find me and fine me). When I was hired to mix "Bound For Glory" the I.A. refused to even acknowledge that I was mixing the movie --- the production sound mixer of record was Don Parker who ultimately was also the one who was credited as such.

Thanks for sharing the awesome story of your auspicious beginnings Col. Wexler!

Best,

Steven

A bit confusing in that you couldn't do a union movie until the G1 & G2 mixers were employed and that had never happened. So how did you get to mix BFG, through your dad who requested you?

Eric

I thought you knew the whole story, Eric. Joining the I.A. in the first place took a class action lawsuit that gave a group of us (about 30 people if I remember) the right to join. There was a seniority system in place, administered by Contract Services roster, that put new members in Group 3. Group 3 members were not allowed to accept employment (no matter how much any producer, director or whoever wanted to hire you) until all the Group 1s and 2s were working. So, when Hal Ashby hired me to do the production sound on the movie, contractually he really was not allowed to hire me, and as a union member in Group 3 I really was not allowed to accept employment. The weekend before we were to start shooting in Stockton, California, I was called in my hotel room by the producer who told me that I would not be able to do the movie. They also told Hal Ashby that I would not be mixing his movie, union problems, and they would be hiring someone else. Hal's response to this news was to lock himself in his hotel room, stating that he wasn't coming out until Jeff was on the movie. Two hours later, they hired a Stand-By mixer in the same Local (but in Group 1), paid him full scale salary and that "allowed" me to mix the movie. Basically a payoff to the I.A. to turn their back on the fact that I was doing the movie.

I thought you knew the whole story, Eric. Joining the I.A. in the first place took a class action lawsuit that gave a group of us (about 30 people if I remember) the right to join. There was a seniority system in place, administered by Contract Services roster, that put new members in Group 3. Group 3 members were not allowed to accept employment (no matter how much any producer, director or whoever wanted to hire you) until all the Group 1s and 2s were working. So, when Hal Ashby hired me to do the production sound on the movie, contractually he really was not allowed to hire me, and as a union member in Group 3 I really was not allowed to accept employment. The weekend before we were to start shooting in Stockton, California, I was called in my hotel room by the producer who told me that I would not be able to do the movie. They also told Hal Ashby that I would not be mixing his movie, union problems, and they would be hiring someone else. Hal's response to this news was to lock himself in his hotel room, stating that he wasn't coming out until Jeff was on the movie. Two hours later, they hired a Stand-By mixer in the same Local (but in Group 1), paid him full scale salary and that "allowed" me to mix the movie. Basically a payoff to the I.A. to turn their back on the fact that I was doing the movie.

Reading what happened to you on BFG made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. One can only hope that those IA rules have changed for the better today.

Eric

Things have loosened up quite a bit these days, and of course I have been on the Executive Board at Local 695 for the last 6 years (not that it has made any difference).

It was that whole catch 22 setup that angered me. You pay them a lot of money, you can't work through them and you can't work on your own. How were you supposed to support yourself & family?

Eric

Tell me, what was the purpose of joining an union again...?

Daring to say the obvious, it's easy to get an appreciation for what joining Local 695 has meant for Jeff's career by taking a quick look at his IMDB page and then reviewing the wages, retirement contributions and healthcare he and his family have enjoyed during all that time.

I bet it's different here in holland then; retirement plans and healthcare has nothing to do with unions. And Jeff worked already a whole career before joining the union, somewhat I read you "have" to join the union to get a career. Correct me if I'm wrong but that sounds strange, to be on a union to get a certain job.

I'm curious to all this since we don't have an union here as stated before, but there are people trying to set on up.