Nomad Lite

Jeff Wexler

With the introduction of Nomad Lite, Nomad 10 seems to have lost features including surround, decode, USB recording and all of its track mix busses (it now has half as many mix busses as a nomad 6), at least according to the 'Nomad Comparison Chart'... Why?

http://www.zaxcom.com/nomad-comparison-chart

Are Nomad 4 and 6 now discontinued?

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the last two weeks I have counted at least 8 if not 10 Nomads up for sale here on Jwsound, TrewAudio, ProSound ebay, and GothamSound.

I think I've seen at least 2 to 3 times as many 788t/552/442 for sale since the 664 was announced as well.

Yes, when SD released the 664, some nomad owners will want/wanted to switch out.

Hopefully everyone is happy now.

With the introduction of Nomad Lite, Nomad 10 seems to have lost features including surround, decode, USB recording and all of its track mix busses (it now has half as many mix busses as a nomad 6), at least according to the 'Nomad Comparison Chart'... Why?

http://www.zaxcom.co...omparison-chart

Are Nomad 4 and 6 now discontinued?

This is a good catch. It seems the 10 doesn't allow you to create mix tracks then? This would be a big issue for myself, and I would think many other users...will have to contact the <hat> monday to see what's up with that.

There appears to be an issue with the info on the web site. It has 16 mix busses and full mix capability.

That's great news. What are the specifics regarding who can receive the upgrade. I'm very happy to accept them. Sometimes I wish for more record channels on my nomad 6.

Every body can upgrade their currrent Nomad. If you bought your nomad reciently - and I'm not sure what is considering recient - you just pay the difference in price of the unit with no other upgrade costs.

I'm confused. I own a Nomad 8. Taking off the time it's spent back at the factory having it's 'issues' fixed and the the screen brightened I've barely had three weeks ownership out of it. It cost £5000 - quite a lot more than the prices offered for the 'new' models, especially considering exchange rates.

Am I entitled to a free upgrade to a 12? Or a cheaper upgrade?

Oh, and when was Automix enabled? I seem to have missed that one!

Larry Long

"Damnit I just bought the nomad and I don't use those features."

What about downgrades for those who don't want those functions and want the machine brought BACK to a LITE version.... Just a thought..

This could get strange.... There is NO good time to pull the trigger anymore, it seems one will always get caught out in the field scrambling around looking for cover... there is none.... you just buy something and hope to hang in there with that gear for a while... it's all you can do...

Worrying about what you just spent for what, and how much you lost or gained, is simply impossible these days... Surrender..

I'm confused. I own a Nomad 8. Taking off the time it's spent back at the factory having it's 'issues' fixed and the the screen brightened I've barely had three weeks ownership out of it. It cost £5000 - quite a lot more than the prices offered for the 'new' models, especially considering exchange rates.

Your nomad 8 has Zaxnet and USB support which nomad lite doesn't have. And nomad 10 has Zaxnet and no USB support.

Essential think of it this way the Nomad lite is a nomad 4 with extra tracks and a nomad 10 is a nomad 6 with extra tracks.

I feel like we're heading to the car dealerships now. You can have the Sport Package but that will also require the V8 option; Add the 20" wheels and you will also need the premium package. Moon-roof is not available in the LE trim but is standard on the XLE with the Luxury package etc. etc.!! ;D

So the Nomad line has gone from 4 'flavours' to 3, track counts have been upped for the 4 and 6 models:

Nomad 4 didn't have Zaxnet or AES, still doesn't but now has 10 tracks and is the Lite.

Nomad 6 had Zaxnet and AES, but no USB is the same but has 10 rec tracks - Nomad 10.

Nomad 8 is entirely missing, has 2 less record tracks than the new Nomad 10, but had/has USB and AutoMix (when that happens).

Nomad 12 is the same, but now much cheaper. (Basically the same as the Nomad 8 was ($145 difference).

This is a mess. Do Nomad 8's automatically become 12's if purchased within say, the last 6 months? Same for Nomad 6's to 10's? Do recent Nomad 12 purchasers (if there were any) get a partial refund?

All features subject to change without notice. Huh.

What MT Groove says is so true, certainly with many of the devices we use these days that by their very design have options possible and available. This is the logical and inevitable consequence of software driven devices and is something that is all too common in the computer and software world. It does get a little crazy and often makes me think of the first 25 years of my career in sound where we didn't have to make ANY choices (and a Nagra 4.2 would be a Nagra 4.2 forever because NOTHING was optional and nothing was upgradeable).

Do Nomad 8's automatically become 12's if purchased within say, the last 6 months? Same for Nomad 6's to 10's? Do recent Nomad 12 purchasers (if there were any) get a partial refund?

I'm personally not aware what happens but all the dealers have specific details as to what all the upgrade policies are and what costs there are.

I feel like we're heading to the car dealerships now. You can have the Sport Package but that will also require the V8 option; Add the 20" wheels and you will also need the premium package. Moon-roof is not available in the LE trim but is standard on the XLE with the Luxury package etc. etc.!! ;D

Justin

"This is a mess. Do Nomad 8's automatically become 12's if purchased within say, the last 6 months? Same for Nomad 6's to 10's? Do recent Nomad 12 purchasers (if there were any) get a partial refund?"

It seems the can of worms is open and wiggling on the shelf...

<<With Nomad Lite all 10 analog inputs are instantly available for control via the six rotary faders and the menu encoder. This eliminates the need for external add on fader hardware>>

i've found that after the first 6 inputs (that have dedicated knobs) it isn't very easy to adjust the levels on inputs 7-10 while running and gunning. repeatedly pressing a button to scroll through which input to control AND then adjusting ... it doesn't do me much good in a doc or reality setting. in my opinion, each input you control needs a hardware knob to quickly change things without looking at the screen. if you've ever had to mix 7 talent lavs, boom the others, and stay out of 3 cameras frames you understand what i'm saying. YMMV.

<<With Nomad Lite all 10 analog inputs are instantly available for control via the six rotary faders and the menu encoder. This eliminates the need for external add on fader hardware>>

i've found that after the first 6 inputs (that have dedicated knobs) it isn't very easy to adjust the levels on inputs 7-10 while running and gunning. repeatedly pressing a button to scroll through which input to control AND then adjusting ... it doesn't do me much good in a doc or reality setting. in my opinion, each input you control needs a hardware knob to quickly change things without looking at the screen. if you've ever had to mix 7 talent lavs, boom the others, and stay out of 3 cameras frames you understand what i'm saying. YMMV.

Zaxcom has been aware of this and it is currently being addressed. They have been working on new software that will expand the ENG home screen. You will soon be able to auto-trim all 10 inputs, pan all 10 inputs, mix input 7 thru 10 right from the ENG screen with essentially just the menu knob.