Nomad Lite

Jeff Wexler

@Ben if you are in a city with a good audio dealer, go in an look and ask. Not sure about adding Zaxnet later, but I think the Nomad can be upgraded to a 12 later (Zaxnet and additional USB hardware). I just talked to Zaxcom on the phone today about upgrading my 6 to a 12, they are really helpful if your dealer can't give you a definite answer.

As for batteries, there are threads specifically about bag power options. With my Nomad, I am currently using a 6Ah v-mount that has a D-tap socket built in and I use that to feed my Remote Audio BDS system. I am currently powering my whole bag off the one battery with no issues. I turn off my Lectro receivers if I am not using them, but that battery is often showing 2/4 LEDs when I change it at lunch. If it was a day with a lot of wireless (including my TRX900/STA150 hop), I am not sure a single NP1 would get me till lunch. There are other battery options too.

NP1s are nice and small, but if you need to carry a bunch of them anyway, would you rather carry something bigger? Personal choice. If you search this site you can find some user reviews of these in the above mentioned threads: https://www.globalmediapro.com/dp/A2G3L2/Globalmediapro-SCQ2-DC-U-2-channel-Charger-2-x-DCU95-Battery-95WH-with-D-Tap-DCUF3-Adapter/ that people use in bags with Nomads. They look like a screaming deal compared to a NP1. Remember than an NP1 has dimensional specs based on an extinct video camera, and a lot of sound gear adopted them. I don't know if V-mounts or Gold Mounts have any kind of licensing on the connection, but they are also designed for cameras. The good side is that most of these lesser known brand v-mounts claim they can charge in any charger. Doesn't seem to be the case with gold mounts using an Anton charger.

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This site is proof that sound folk are the best folk. Kind, helpful and prompt.

Have you been on any DP forums?.... disappointing.

I am so excited to join the ranks of proud Nomad-ers. especially with SD upping the price of the 664 by $500.

Thank you again!

oh and check out the Hawk-Woods DV-SQN4s for power, available at pro sound NY. I get about 15 hours with the Nomad off of 2x Sony NP-F970s.

Yes that is the one I need. Brilliant. those NP-1 batts are great but they are so expensive and the chargers are cumbersome, and I haven't seen a portable one anywhere. Plus, the folks I work with have those sony batteries laying around everywhere.

Great Idea. Love those pro-sound folks, that is where I am getting all my gear.

thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Got my nomad a few days ago and compared it head to head with 744t and 664 (Test set-up with a Boom and 3 Lectros). My Nomad was the best and easiest to use. Even though I already had plenty of experience with the 744t I immediately found it infuriating to use, both with a 552 and without). And the menu on the 664 is kind of clunky, but I imagine that will be cleared up soon enough.

I realized the absolute best part of the Nomad is its modular design, both in hardware and software. Their design is analogous to software manufactures, like Adobe and Microsoft; For example - Adobe designed the entire creative suite, but realize that not everyone needs everything, so they have a tiered price structure. The programming has been done for the entire creative suite, selling the full suite costs the company little more than selling a striped down version, but the customer gets what they need at a price they can afford.

Perhaps Zaxcom saves some money by making just one nomad unit and restricting the hardware in they lower tier models. This also allows Zaxcom to make more money in the future should the customer require an upgrade. Zaxcom benefits because they don't have to manufacture a new unit, and the customer benefits because they get more features for far less money than buying a new unit. It is a total win-win. Brilliant.

It's little thing for many people but for me it's one of the reason I don't like the Zaxcom Nomad.

My opinion about this machine is not complete but according with spec's it's much better mixer/recorder than 788T.

What's my issue? The graphics on LCD. It's not only for Nomad but and for 788T. The 664 have good graphics.

For me the graphics on Nomad it's like a toy and not serious solid graphics. I know that graphics it's over than 5 years on Zaxcom products but for me it's one of the reason to take serious one product.

I'm looking the LCD graphics on cameras especially the Arri and I feeling jealous about graphics design. I'm not expect from Zaxcom to change the "graphics design line" but is just one opinion. Some guys love the graphics on Nomad and other not. It's very "it depends" theme and personal things.

Thanks for the comments Ben. We do believe that our pricing and upgrade policy is in the best interests of the customer. It allows us to make the Nomad and other Zaxcom products available to the greatest number of customers while allowing an upgrade path.

The Nomad display is now very bright and easy to read in direct sunlight. Since our update to the LED backlight 4 months ago we have only had compliments on the display readability. In fact the brightness now goes to 11 ;-)

For those looking to purchase a Zaxcom product I think things like the display brightness and graphics are important but in my opinion it is the feature set, audio quality, mixing capability and the ability for the product to function as a system with other gear that makes Nomad stand apart from any other solution.

The Nomads best features are its ability to mix to any output or recorded track and its DSP audio tools that make the nomad suitable for many jobs that can not be properly addressed by a typical bag audio mixer.

Glenn

Yeap Glenn! The first features when I look one product it's the spec's. Second it's the design. I'm not talking for display brightness that's for sure. Also the new iPhone or older models and especially the LCD glass from mobiles, tablets, laptops they have issues directly in sun but I'm talking for design graphics. And I said that's in personal issue and not the first feature who look.

:)

I'm with Vasileios on this, the importance to me personally the graphics, the look and feel of the equipment we use everyday, but I'm with Glenn in that it is NOT the most important aspect by any means. Actually, quite low down on the list. That doesn't mean that I will give up on encouraging our designers and manufacturers to pay close attention to these issues.

Of course the one thing that would really complete the new Home Screen, since Zaxcom is feeling so generous, is the Input level dots on each Card Track. That would make it The King of Home Screens.

Tis the season and all that.....:-))

Don't forget scene & take information too please !!