Nomad Lite

Jeff Wexler

Whatever happened to the 4 channel fader pack

I am 99% sure it was dropped. I don't know if it was a technical issue, or perceived lack of demand. The demand could definitely change with the simplicity to upgrade all Nomads to a 10 or 12 track recorder.

Where there ever images released of what it was going to look like?

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am 99% sure it was dropped. I don't know if it was a technical issue, or perceived lack of demand. The demand could definitely change with the simplicity to upgrade all Nomads to a 10 or 12 track.

That's what I thought too, but I'd definitely support a fader pack extension.

When setting up your channels it would be nice that autotrim would also work on the ch setup menu, so instead of pressing the number of the channel you want to ajust, simply touching the fader would select that channel. I think it would make setup quicker

This was talked about and will be added in the future.

Just curious why wouldn't you want to leave auto trim engaged all the time? There is no down side leaving it on.

I respectfully disagree.

In the heat of "battle" when one goes to access the menus, the knob can turn a bit -- and therefore change a trim level -- in the process of pressing in to access the menus. Sure, in a perfect world we'd always exercise due care and only press straight down, but we don't work in a perfect world as often as we'd like. There have been times when, after dialing the trims in, I've been quite happy that I could "lock" them and not have to concern myself that they could get "bumped" a bit in a frantic run-n-gun environment.

It should definitely stay an option.

Just curious why wouldn't you want to leave auto trim engaged all the time? There is no down side leaving it on.

of course there is down side,user may change the unexpected channel's gain changed by mistake without noticing,especially when you not monitoring the input screen,and when you on the fly in a bag model,etc ( and also as John pointed here)

Jack,you use lectro wireless so when u need more gain,the auto-trim make more sense for you,you need it on all the chs,that's the only way you gain your tx on the fly,but for using zax-wireless,there is no point to change the nomad's input gain once it set to -20 from a qrx. at least i never changed line input when i use qrx.I change the TX's gain on the fly directly.The only one ch i want to use auto trim is the one ch that connected to a hard wired boom mic when i work in a bag.

and the other thing about the Auto-trim is : i've been told by zaxcom that the auto-trim can't talk to zax-net,i was so disappointed by that's impossible to do. Once it achieved,it's on all six faders and it control all nomad's physical input level, the way i would like see is : we can choose any ch to be auto-trim on nomad's input or choose it to be the auto-zax-gain control for that ch's TX,i would call that is brilliant.The way it works now,just not.

and again Jack,i respect you spend your own time for posting and helping people get to know zaxcom products,i appreciate that in many ways as i'm a big fan of zaxcom too,but a feature you don't want do not mean that no one else wants it.

best regards

Cloud

and the other thing about the Auto-trim is : i've been told by zaxcom that the auto-trim can't talk to zax-net,i was so disappointed by that's impossible to do. Once it achieved,it's on all six faders and it control all nomad's physical input level, the way i would like see is : we can choose any ch to be auto-trim on nomad's input or choose it to be the auto-zax-gain control for that ch's TX,i would call that is brilliant.The way it works now,just not.

Unless I'm misunderstanding what you're saying, you're wrong.

Speaking from experience, you can have Autotrim turned on and still have a fader, or faders, dedicated to Zaxnet transmitter control.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you.

Maybe Cloud's talking about leaving the faders as faders, for the mix, but when you have Autotrim turned on, the menu knob would become the controller for Zaxnet TX, for the TX that's plugged into that input, instead of the input trim for that channel.

Got to say it's wonderful idea, and if Howy can make it work it would be another unique tool that makes our lives as simple recordists easier.

Maybe Cloud's talking about leaving the faders as faders, for the mix, but when you have Autotrim turned on, the menu knob would become the controller for Zaxnet TX, for the TX that's plugged into that input, instead of the input trim for that channel.

Got to say it's wonderful idea, and if Howy can make it work it would be another unique tool that makes our lives as simple recordists easier.

Why?

For one thing, the way it is now, the rotational position of the Zaxnet pot controlling a transmitter gives you instant visual feedback of the setting of the transmitter's gain. They're directly, and repeatably, relative.

It's true the way the faders behave now is a good visual representation of the Tx gain, but in some cases you may not have the luxury of spare faders, if you had a boom and 3 radios going, there's not enough faders left for each Tx's gain settings. I think it would make for quite an elegant UI if it were possible to have Autotrim control each inputs preamp, weather they were hardwired or a Tx on someone's body.

At the moment if I want to access my Tx preamp settings I need to go into the Zaxnet page using two hands, because I use the Nomad in Unshifted mode, then select which unit I want to change, and then use the menu knob to change the settings. It's fine, because it's a complete luxury to be able to do that in the first place, just talking about bringing Zaxnet to the next level. Cloud says he's been told it won't be possible, so I'll still be happy with things the way they are.

• 1 month later...

Love the Jokes.

I have long valued the sage wisdom on this forum. But now I have a few questions.

I am about to purchase a Nomad Lite. And I want to make sure I get it right the first time.

I am a little confused about the power options. Should I get a v-mount battery with a hirose distributor?

If the nomads are modular from the factory, does that mean that I could add Zaxnet at a later time?

I will working on documentaries- so a lot of running around- what field bags are folks using?

Thanks folks.

hi, Ben, and welcome...

there are plenty of discussions on powering Nomads, and your personal preferences will guide you to select the option that will be best for you.

information on upgrading Nomads has also been discussed here, and of course on the Zaxcom forums. Zaxcom also has email, and telephone services for answering questions.

I am a little confused about the power options. Should I get a v-mount battery with a hirose distributor?

Everyones got their own opinions, and it largely depends on what else you need to power at the same time. these days I go for Swit NP1's (S-8056N) and a Hawk Woods NP1 shoe.

I just got a PS 614 bag for the nomad, complete with the new zip for the zaxnet aerial. Streamlined.

Ben, I hope you have easy access to a professional dealer for your purchase of Nomad as that will be the best place to make sure you are getting the right model and configuration. The dealer will also be your best source for outlining what your upgrade path will be for the current model you are looking at. You can, of course, SEARCH this site (with some success, hopefully) but the dealer route will be your most direct approach.

Ben, I hope you have easy access to a professional dealer for your purchase of Nomad as that will be the best place to make sure you are getting the right model and configuration. The dealer will also be your best source for outlining what your upgrade path will be for the current model you are looking at. You can, of course, SEARCH this site (with some success, hopefully) but the dealer route will be your most direct approach.

Yes yes and in addition since this recorder is often a "bag" device consider how you will configure your rig in what bag with which outboard gear and what power source, re usability size and WEIGHT. There is really no substitute for actually touching the gear and seeing how things work together (in person).

philp