Nomad Lite

Jeff Wexler

From other forum:

As you may or may not have heard there have been a few changes to the Nomad line from Zaxcom.

The Nomad 4 will now become the Nomad Lite

The 6 and 8 will be upgradable to the 10 or 12.

Nomad 4 to Nomad Lite - $95*

Nomad 4 to Nomad 10 - $950 + $300 upgrade fee

Nomad 4 to Nomad 12 - $2,095 + $300 upgrade fee (Must come to Zaxcom for the hardware upgrade, tracks may be unlocked via a code)

Nomad 6 to Nomad 10 - $150*

Nomad 6 to Nomad 12 - $1295 + $300 upgrade fee (Must come to Zaxcom for the upgrade, tracks may be unlocked via a code)

Nomad 8 to Nomad 12 - $195*

The above pricing is good until December 31, 2012.

Upgrades with the * are done factory direct only and are not discountable.

Beginning January 1st the $300 upgrade fee will be applicable to ALL upgrades.

Nomad Lite and Nomad 10 unlock codes / software will be ready on or before November 1st!!!

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi CW,

SO...U have taken a 3 credit psychology course, at a CC, or the U.K. equivalent, to diagnose psychiatric disorders? Are your insurances up to date? U really don't want to engage Fury in a sanity discussion. He'll have your cortical synapses hanging together by single spirochetes..and the thread will be shut down.

Sorry if the analogy hit too close to "home." It will be quite valid for many.

BTW, Fury "understands" that U may eschew the third person writing style, IF that is what has been done above, and not a transcriptionist's work product, but U might measure twice and...once, before proclaiming a style/need as tantamount to "insanity."

In the meanwhile, you might need to virtually lobectomize your limbic system..

Better to stay spot on the O.P.'s point.

Thank you very much

Fury

Hi Christian,

What types of projects would be likely for the 12 tracks. that the 8 cannot accommodate, please?

Fury inquires, because his 8 is at the mothership, as we type

Thank you very much

Fury

Projects that require more than 7 ISOs? E.g. two booms, 5 lavs and two plants. Plus a mix track makes 9 tracks. Not likely to happen very often (plus I personally refuse to record more than 8 tracks as of today, but who knows what will be in the future?) So then it's mostly because 12 is 4 more than 8. It's actually 50% more. For 195$. I don't need it but am seriously thinking about it. Old capitalism still works!

It's a bit like, I don't know, ask why so many people need to buy the iPhone 5. Or upgrade to Mountain Lion. In your case, owning an 8, you can take your time because you can do the unlock procedure at home with your Nomad, all that is needed is a code.

Did Zaxcom (and the dealers) know when they started selling the first Nomads that they would also be releasing the Maxx and Lite so soon after?

No.

Nomad has evolved. Anyone who has had their Nomad for any length of time can see how it has evolved. Zaxcom listened to user feedback and requests and has tailoring Nomad to follow. There is plenty of features in Nomad now that wasn't even a dream a year ago. And there are plenty of new features that are currently being added because of user request.

Hardware has evolved as well - listening to user feedback Zaxcom changed the brightness of the screen.

Regarding changing the product line up - once again Zaxcom was getting feed back that users really wanted more tracks. So that is essentially how the new line up came about. Zaxcom just tried to simplify things by giving all Nomads a high track count and let the user add Zaxnet or both Zaxnet and USB support. Also they didn't want to screw the early users so they made it possible to allow everyone to be able to upgrade their unit.

if I were designing the interface with the hardware available already, I would make it so you could press a button and "flip" the faders from 1-6 to 7-12. 1 beep in the headphones means 1-7, 2 beeps means 7-12. that way you don't have to look down to change levels. not ideal, but a reasonable workaround.

I call it "zaxflip" - already filed the trademark, so don't even think about it.

That was explored and is not possible.

Comparing niche industrial products and the accompanying marketing and distribution to high volume consumer products sold to a (generally) less demanding public does not seem quite right to me .......

This is 100 percent "nail on the head" thinking, you can not compare rolling out product changes that has a single usage to a small amount of people to a Ford, Chevy or a Sony HD TV, that is just a silly way of thinking. People have a right to question the logic and motivation for this in public.

The industry at large, the facilities and the people in post sound, were 100% against this format and refused to even consider the DAT machines "digital field recorders." The early adopters of the DAT format had a very rough road trying to promote their use of an unknown and unproven method of production sound recording for motion pictures.

Small clarification: we loved having DAT at Complete Post in the early 1990s, and I always much preferred getting in one DAT tape rather than a stack of 7" Nagra reels for telecine dailies. The DATs sounded better (to me), cued much faster, and were very, very reliable most of the time. The only time DAT was an issue was when there wasn't enough timecode pre-roll... and 1/4" analogue had pretty much the same issues. We eventually came up with workarounds to solve these problems.

I agree with all your other points, and concede that not all facilities had the same experience we did. I know of a couple of companies that tried to get by with cheap and crappy Tascam DAT timecode decks, and they had a lot of trouble with interchange and jamming. We used the Sony 7030's and 7040's, and those were (and still are) workhorses.

And I'd also agree that people forget that Zaxcom did innovate a lot of the things people take for granted nowadays with file-based sound recorders. We were initially nervous about DVD-RAM for audio, but once we fumbled through the first few sessions, Complete started recommending that clients ditch DAT in favor of Devas, because it cut about a half-hour off the sessions because of cueing time and other considerations.

It's pretty stunning, when you compare the Deva II from 12 years ago with something like the Nomad Lite today.

Jack is right. The features that zaxcom added because of users requests are so many. I love it when Howy says : "It certainly can be added" and a bit later it is available. I came up with a few things that I have no doubt will be done. Howy is like a custom tailor but instead of custom suits he tailors recorders... (:

Small clarification: we loved having DAT at Complete Post in the early 1990s, and I always much preferred getting in one DAT tape rather than a stack of 7" Nagra reels for telecine dailies.

Small clarification to your small clarification: the period of time I was referring to regarding the early resistance to the DAT format is a few years before Complete Post ever received any production DAT cassettes. I started using DAT in 1989 and there were no facilities that would accept a DAT cassette for dailies sound transfer. Fortunately for me, I was the founder and co-owner of Northstar Media Sound Services, a small post facility where I was able to do the DAT transfers on the first 4 movies I did with DAT. The first movie I did where the transfers had to be done somewhere else (in this case, Twentieth Century Fox), it was a huge battle to get them to do it. But echoing what Marc has said, two weeks into doing the dailies off DAT, the transfer department said they were loving it and wondered why everyone wasn't using DAT.

I think anyone who has had greater than 30 days of uninterrupted use is probably out of luck.

But I will point out NOBODY has a Nomad with all the advertised features.

Really? What am I missing? Seriously, it looks like many dealers already changed their sites so I can't find the original Nomad 6 features. I bought a Nomad 6 and I don't know of anything I am missing. I've never been in the field and thinking "dang, I wish ***** was working already".

The 6 wasn't supposed to have USB support, so I was going to upgrade down the road if I thought I would need it. If I have a bigger job, I still own a Fusion.

I bought a Nomad 6 and I don't know of anything I am missing.

I think the only major feature still missing on the 6 is the automixer. The ability to remotely put TRX's in Low2 and wake them over zaxnet just popped up in the latest released beta firmware, so we'll call that "delivered".

I can't complain either with the available features (on my 6). And I'm very happy that they continually take our suggestions and implement them when they can.

Just as an update:

I've been beta testing USB support and all is looking good a few more tweaks and then it will be released.

Regarding the auto mix I'm expecting to get beta software this week.

Other than that there are a bunch of other items that have been request from user feedback that are already implemented in the software I am currently testing and several items that are being implemented.

No.

Nomad has evolved. Anyone who has had their Nomad for any length of time can see how it has evolved. Zaxcom listened to user feedback and requests and has tailoring Nomad to follow. There is plenty of features in Nomad now that wasn't even a dream a year ago. And there are plenty of new features that are currently being added because of user request.

Hardware has evolved as well - listening to user feedback Zaxcom changed the brightness of the screen.

Regarding changing the product line up - once again Zaxcom was getting feed back that users really wanted more tracks. So that is essentially how the new line up came about. Zaxcom just tried to simplify things by giving all Nomads a high track count and let the user add Zaxnet or both Zaxnet and USB support. Also they didn't want to screw the early users so they made it possible to allow everyone to be able to upgrade their unit.

This reads a little different from Jeff's perception:

I am fairly sure that Zaxcom was working on some revision to the Nomad line well before Sound Devices announced any new products. This is because after Nomad being available for almost a year, and in the various models and pricing, it was clear that the original model designations and capabilities might need to change. These changes, the consolidating of the model line up, were in the works well before the SD 664 was announced, and Zaxcom would have made those changes, introduced the Nomad Lite model even earlier if they could have.

Which is fair enough (you are different people), but i wonder what kind of "listening" Zaxcom are doing? Presumably they had listened when they decided to scale promised feature sets to track count (first release of nomad), then they listened a bit more and heard folks wanted high(er) track counts by default and wanted the other features as options (second release of nomad).

So did they not listen so good the first time but this time they listened a bit harder (to customers who had already bought 1)?

I ask this because i think removing features and adding track count (already available on other models) is not so much innovation as it is reconfiguration and this suggests there has been an unexpected change in the market in the last 12 months (?), they didn't get it quite right at the beginning or this is more about maximising revenues than it is about listening to customers.

This might explain why some folks have mentioned downgrading to a high track count model without all the other features (which they might now be wondering if they were unfairly required to pay for despite not needing said features or indeed said features not necessarily being online). Which is why i think this timeline narrative is key to the perception of Zaxcoms M.O.

Bringing back in the the problematic analogy of consumer products. Most folks know where they stand with apple and the release of iphone models - roughly every 36 months apple will release a handset (which represents some 'jump' in design and functionality but with some possible bugs). Roughly 18 months later they will release a revised version with bugs ironed out but less of a 'jump'. They have a fairly consistent design cycle and availability of any given model will be 36 months - 18 at a premium, 18 as cheaper alternative. Zaxcom should be (and are) applauded for their innovation but the announcement and roll-out of a 2nd set of nomad models (12 months after pre-orders started shipping) is not a jump in technology or innovation but like i say above, a reconfiguration based on market research and as such seems at least muddled and perhaps a little neglectful of the customer base. Is it unreasonable of a customer to expect a professional, industrial recording tool to have a viable operational life as long as an iphone for example? By this i don't mean to cast doubt on how long any Zaxcom product will actually function as advertised (but with some advertised features still to come online in there is something to be said about this too) - no. But what i am suggesting is the resale value of SOME early nomads (and therefore the business practice of the operator) will be impacted by these revisions and the potential resale value of plant and machinery is an important factor in the procurement of such items. I can understand why folks might wonder if they bought the wrong one or bought too early or mismanagement elsewhere has caused them the pain they feel.

If Zaxcom were the only player in the market, like nagra were for so many years, would their roll-outs would managed differently?

It certainly would NOT be possible to perceive the announcement of a machine and its possible features (eg Maxx - not available until sometime next year) to be cynically designed to impact on the sales of another manufacturers products. It would also NOT be possible to suspect a reconfiguration of current model line-up to be hurriedly rolled-out to coincide with the release of competing products.

Everyone makes mistakes (its how we learn). Sound ops will make mistakes about what recorders would work best for them, manufacturers will make mistakes about how to roll-out and market their ingenious products - I think some people, like myself (and some customers) are wondering who has made the mistakes here. Manufacturers have metrics on how much market penetration they have had in the past and have currently and they will have projections on how much market penetration they believe they can achieve with any given product line in the future and this must play a part in how products released and marketed.

This reads a little different from Jeff's perception:

I am fairly sure that Zaxcom was working on some revision to the Nomad line well before Sound Devices announced any new products. This is because after Nomad being available for almost a year, and in the various models and pricing, it was clear that the original model designations and capabilities might need to change. These changes, the consolidating of the model line up, were in the works well before the SD 664 was announced, and Zaxcom would have made those changes, introduced the Nomad Lite model even earlier if they could have.

Which is fair enough (you are different people), but i wonder what kind of "listening" Zaxcom are doing? Presumably they had listened when they decided to scale promised feature sets to track count (first release of nomad), then they listened a bit more and heard folks wanted high(er) track counts by default and wanted the other features as options (second release of nomad).

So did they not listen so good the first time but this time they listened a bit harder (to customers who had already bought 1)?

I ask this because i think removing features and adding track count (already available on other models) is not so much innovation as it is reconfiguration and this suggests there has been an unexpected change in the market in the last 12 months (?), they didn't get it quite right at the beginning or this is more about maximising revenues than it is about listening to customers.

This might explain why some folks have mentioned downgrading to a high track count model without all the other features (which they might now be wondering if they were unfairly required to pay for despite not needing said features or indeed said features not necessarily being online). Which is why i think this timeline narrative is key to the perception of Zaxcoms M.O.

Bringing back in the the problematic analogy of consumer products. Most folks know where they stand with apple and the release of iphone models - roughly every 36 months apple will release a handset (which represents some 'jump' in design and functionality but with some possible bugs). Roughly 18 months later they will release a revised version with bugs ironed out but less of a 'jump'. They have a fairly consistent design cycle and availability of any given model will be 36 months - 18 at a premium, 18 as cheaper alternative. Zaxcom should be (and are) applauded for their innovation but the announcement and roll-out of a 2nd set of nomad models (12 months after pre-orders started shipping) is not a jump in technology or innovation but like i say above, a reconfiguration based on market research and as such seems at least muddled and perhaps a little neglectful of the customer base. Is it unreasonable of a customer to expect a professional, industrial recording tool to have a viable operational life as long as an iphone for example? By this i don't mean to cast doubt on how long any Zaxcom product will actually function as advertised (but with some advertised features still to come online in there is something to be said about this too) - no. But what i am suggesting is the resale value of SOME early nomads (and therefore the business practice of the operator) will be impacted by these revisions and the potential resale value of plant and machinery is an important factor in the procurement of such items. I can understand why folks might wonder if they bought the wrong one or bought too early or mismanagement elsewhere has caused them the pain they feel.

If Zaxcom were the only player in the market, like nagra were for so many years, would their roll-outs would managed differently?

It certainly would NOT be possible to perceive the announcement of a machine and its possible features (eg Maxx - not available until sometime next year) to be cynically designed to impact on the sales of another manufacturers products. It would also NOT be possible to suspect a reconfiguration of current model line-up to be hurriedly rolled-out to coincide with the release of competing products.

Everyone makes mistakes (its how we learn). Sound ops will make mistakes about what recorders would work best for them, manufacturers will make mistakes about how to roll-out and market their ingenious products - I think some people, like myself (and some customers) are wondering who has made the mistakes here. Manufacturers have metrics on how much market penetration they have had in the past and have currently and they will have projections on how much market penetration they believe they can achieve with any given product line in the future and this must play a part in how products released and marketed.

Brilliant, brilliant post that absolutely encapsulates the frustration I feel. Thanks Daniel.

Seriously... if people are going to be mad that the Nomad and Maxx (and 664) were announced before being actually available to buy, they can't also be angry that Zaxcom "surprised" us with the Nomad Lite.

I don't know about "can't", but as your post indicates it is certainly a change (or diversification) in Zaxcom's M.O. So is it a surprise that it (at least) prompts polite enquiry as to why?

Life is ever-changing. As is technology and the market place. Things happen. Maxx happened. Why is anyone surprised or (disappointed??) that the product line shifted? Why have a nomad4 when Maxx is 4... A Company can not stifle their own innovation and evolution. Nothing was mismanaged. I applaud these new developments/changes and the fact that zaxcom Is waiving the 300$ upgrade fee for previous owners is classy. There really is a machine at different price points for everyone.

Someone wants to downgrade to a new nomad light instead of their solid, nomad 6 (WITH zaxnet and soon automix) which now can be 10 for an ultra reasonable 150$ Go a head. Seems silly to me... Lots of boohooing here...

Life is ever-changing. As is technology and the market place. Things happen. Maxx happened. Why is anyone surprised or (disappointed??) that the product line shifted? Why have a nomad4 when Maxx is 4... A Company can not stifle their own innovation and evolution.

Nomad Lite is not an innovation or evolution in the sense that i understand those terms. It is a reconfiguration of existing Zaxcom technologies and feature sets in response to perceived changes in the market place in the last 12 months. Marketing departments overstate such developments, but i'm not sure why individual customers are engaging in an open discourse with such emphasis.

Nothing was mismanaged. I applaud these new developments/changes and the fact that zaxcom Is waiving the 300$ upgrade fee for previous owners is classy. There really is a machine at different price points for everyone.

Someone wants to downgrade to a new nomad light instead of their solid, nomad 6 (WITH zaxnet and soon automix) which now can be 10 for an ultra reasonable 150$ Go a head. Seems silly to me... Lots of boohooing here...

I think its great Zaxcom are offering existing customers the downgrade option, especially as not all the features advertised and paid for by these customers are currently available and by implication these (and other features) were only paid for because the customer just wanted the track count (which as you imply is a very cheap thing for Zaxcom to put in the box).

Are Zaxcom offering a downgrade (with the respective refunds)?

As an aside i wonder if, when and who will sell recorders that the customer decides exactly what's included (of the available options). Eg choose track count and choose feature set, pay the appropriate money. But perhaps in this niche sector a manufacturer needs to sell some premium spec units of a recorder to recoup the R&D before they can risk impacting the sales of the more expensive units with cheaper units with a less comprehensive set of features.

I think its great Zaxcom are offering existing customers the downgrade option, especially as not all the features advertised and paid for by these customers are currently available and by implication these (and other features) were only paid for because the customer just wanted the track count (which as you imply is a very cheap thing for Zaxcom to put in the box).

Are Zaxcom offering a downgrade (with the respective refunds)?

Zaxcom are offering a downgrade option? This is news indeed. I would certainly consider that. Zaxnet is no deal breaker for me as I don't use Zax wireless. It leaves a tidy $1500 or so to go on other toys, whilst still maintaining the main reason I bought a Nomad 8 (comparable track count to 788 but lighter).