Cantar...

pvanstry

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rumours only.

AFAIK nothing in the air from JP Beauviala.

On the other hand, if you can work with 6 ISOs or 7, and mix track(s),

what a relatively glitch-free and lovely sounding recorder with brilliant sound reports.

Ergonomic city, but a bit heavy and real solid (comes with a price, I guess)

Shines in classical recording and long form narrative film sound.

Haven't been this happy (using the Cantar since the mid 2000s) since the Nagra.

Enough of this fanboy stuff... but as the senator says, we do love our toys.

Regards,

Jim Rillie

Rumours only.

AFAIK nothing in the air from JP Beauviala.

On the other hand, if you can work with 6 ISOs or 7, and mix track(s),

what a relatively glitch-free and lovely sounding recorder with brilliant sound reports.

Ergonomic city, but a bit heavy and real solid (comes with a price, I guess)

Shines in classical recording and long form narrative film sound.

Haven't been this happy (using the Cantar since the mid 2000s) since the Nagra.

Enough of this fanboy stuff... but as the senator says, we do love our toys.

Regards,

Jim Rillie

A beautifully crafted piece of art that has withstood the test of time. I was sad to see mine go recently, but happy to see it shipped back to its homeland of France. It was wonderful on a cart, horrendous in a bag. The sound... well you get what you pay for.

Here is a thread from A4, the Cantar gurus in France. Interesting though, the debut of the Penelope Delta has been pushed back so long now I can only imagine it will be the same slow fate for the Cantar X3.

Latest news Aaton Cantar: the last singing X 2 emerged this week from factory. Aaton r & d Department is working on the X 3 generation which will be presented in the spring of 2014.

Lighter that the X 2, with the same size and shape (used the same bag), the X 3 is a 12 track recorder.

The selectors are kept in the same position for the habits of the technical management. The onboard mixer is wider to integrate ten faders. Three modulómetros, each showing four tracks. The rectangular screen is four times larger that the current driving is in the manner of the Tarkan. We will receive more information in may 2013.

Of course maintain technical support for X 1 and X 2, innovations in software and mechanical improvements will be proposed. The following will be: Sc & Tk Ids shall be on "long names" of files saved in CF and the main selector will be contactless (magnetic).

This year and next, Aaton will deal with the release of the long-awaited Delta-Penelope. 2014 is the year of the "singing X 3", please be patient!

• 1 month later...

I've been eye-Ing the Cantar and Nagra VI for the better part of 2 years now, but never been remotely close to affording them. How practical would it be to work with 6 tracks today?

The Nagra is my avatar, so I just appreciate ruggedly built, extremely durable technology. But damn I'm afraid to put 2 mics on the same track without backup the more I grow older...

I've always wanted a Cantar. It's shallow, but they've always looked like the most beautifully designed machines. The big hook for me is that they're supposed to be easy to use with gloves on, which would make them perfect for winter shoots (cold weather shoots take up about 7 months of the year). My only reservation is the cost of the thing.

Fabulous preamps and unmatched limiters.

It is the perfect over the shoulder recorder.

Expensive, but you get what you pay for.

I am with Vin. Having used a Cantar for four and a half years I have no doubt that the X3 will build on the qualities that made the Cantar the only recorder that I want to rely on. JP has been doing it for a long time. With Stefan Kudelski's help he built a stereo Nagra with rudimentary timecode back in 1967 - before he built his first camera. Check out my article on JP from the AMPS Journal www.timwhite.co.uk/Mr_Aaton.pdf