New bloop slate app

Rakesh Anderson

I've finally been approved by Apple to sell my bloop slate app, and it's available on the App store as of today! I have a demo video at: rhttp://rakeshanderson.com/bloopbox/

Please let me know what you think about the app. The demo video is a little cheesy, but it shows how it works.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

post-1-0-86603100-1348889345_thumb.jpg

Demo video is great, not cheesy. I really like what you've done, producing an app that mimics what we used to do with the best of the Bloop boxes we ever used. I built several varieties in the day and they all worked well to some degree --- your modern solution and use of the iPhone is very clever.

Well-done, Rakesh! Just bought it and left you a positive review. I've been looking for something like this for some time -- I definitely remember using the bloop slates for syncing in post during the late 1970s and 1980s, and it's nice to see this idea brought back again. It's 1000 times better than the "poor man's slate" of idiots clapping hands or thumping the microphone.

Cool app. Small suggestion: have the SLATE page (scene/take) "bloop", not a page with just a light and a beep. The good bloop lights we used to (still) use did this--the slate number flashed so the whole process of slating was very fast. You could just have the whole slate page turn red or white etc, while emitting the bloop. On my (old) iPhone there is quite a delay between tapping the screen and the bloop--was that intentional? Like the bloop graphics! (Bought the app.)

phil p

post-17-0-66525600-1348895562_thumb.jpg

Cool app. Small suggestion: have the SLATE page (scene/take) "bloop", not a page with just a light and a beep. The good bloop lights we used to (still) use did this--the slate number flashed so the whole process of slating was very fast. You could just have the whole slate page turn red or white etc, while emitting the bloop. On my (old) iPhone there is quite a delay between tapping the screen and the bloop--was that intentional? Like the bloop graphics! (Bought the app.)

phil p

Thanks Phil

About the pause, there is an audible click when you tap (to let you know you tapped right) then there is the bloop. Since apple will not let you re-assign any of the buttons for other uses, I decided to give it a beat just incase (like me) you may looking at the phone when you tap. It gives you a second to make sure it's aimed at the camera. Great suggestion though. I will be updating based on feedback.

That would be a good option: either a full screen with just the red light and flash/beep, or a full screen with 3-digit numbers that accumulate on each take. I bet that would be relatively easy to implement.

I would also suggest to Rakesh that he take a tip from the LectroRM app, and make sure that BloopBox overrides the mute command on the iPhone, so that it still makes a sound even when our ringer is turned off. I dunno what the specific iOS hooks are to get around this, but I know they're in there somewhere.

just bought the app.

could be good if there was a +1 button or something similar on the slate/take section to quickly advance the slate and take - and following on from that, the option to use 'american' slating - 2, 2A, 2B, 2C etc or 'normal' 1, 2, 3, 4. (i only called it normal as thats how it works on almost all the shoots ive ever done).

good work.

How about an iPod touch version?

The iTunes store says it's iPod Touch compatible.

Please let me know what you think about the app. The demo video is a little cheesy, but it shows how it works.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

I agree with Phil P's suggestion re: blooping the scene/take page.

It's a great start, I've just purchased it and given a review.

Thanks,

JG

just bought the app.

could be good if there was a +1 button or something similar on the slate/take section to quickly advance the slate and take - and following on from that, the option to use 'american' slating - 2, 2A, 2B, 2C etc or 'normal' 1, 2, 3, 4. (i only called it normal as thats how it works on almost all the shoots ive ever done).

good work.

Hi Rich,

Thanks for the suggestion. We support "swiping" up/down over scene and take to quickly increment and decrement. We did this to be able to have maximum size scene and take numbers on the small iPhone screen. This works for numbers as well as letters. For example swipe down over "1c" gives "1d". Of course, to go from "1d" to "2a", you need to pop up the keyboard.

Regards,

Rakesh

iPad version?

One of the things I like about the BloopBox app is that it runs on the iPhone which is just about the size and shape of many of the legacy bloop lights that preceded it. The iPad, in my opinion, is not a proper size to use as a bloop light --- as a slate, possibly (and this has been discussed at length regarding MovieSlate and Denecke slates, etc.) but not as a bloop light.

One of the things I like about the BloopBox app is that it runs on the iPhone which is just about the size and shape of many of the legacy bloop lights that preceded it. The iPad, in my opinion, is not a proper size to use as a bloop light --- as a slate, possibly (and this has been discussed at length regarding MovieSlate and Denecke slates, etc.) but not as a bloop light.

But maybe for slating a group of cameras at once--like start of a concert shoot etc?

phil p