Looking for a new mic

Guest repete86

Guest repete86

I'm having trouble deciding on a new mic to get.  I was looking into the Sennheiser ME66/K6 shotgun mic, but I've been hearing some good things about the Oktava MC-012, and I don't know if I'm ready to sink $500 into a mic at this point due to my weak financial status at the moment.  Alot of my recording will be in an uncontrolled environment where there's definitely going to be alot of external noise due tot he fact that I'm working on low-budget student films at the moment that can't get roads or businesses to close so we can shoot, so the directionality of the mic is very important.  Think that the Sennheiser is the best mic I can get for my money, or is there something better in my price range that I should look into?

Peter,

In my humble opinion, the ME66 is just about the worst mic you can get for the money (yes, I know, many disagree...).  Since you're just starting out, you can go with lots of lower cost options (like the AT897, the Rode shotgun) or for a little more (roughly the same as the 66) get an AT4073a.  Or, look on eBay.  I picked up my first Senn 416 used for about $550 (it was T powered, so add $30 for the PSC adapter).  It worked great for me.

You might also want to look on DVXuser.com in the audio forum.  There is a very nice write up on the characteristics of the different mics, from low to high budget.

Phil Talsky

I'm having trouble deciding on a new mic to get.  I was looking into the Sennheiser ME66/K6 shotgun mic, but I've been hearing some good things about the Oktava MC-012, and I don't know if I'm ready to sink $500 into a mic at this point due to my weak financial status at the moment.  Alot of my recording will be in an uncontrolled environment where there's definitely going to be alot of external noise due tot he fact that I'm working on low-budget student films at the moment that can't get roads or businesses to close so we can shoot, so the directionality of the mic is very important.  Think that the Sennheiser is the best mic I can get for my money, or is there something better in my price range that I should look into?

The Oktava has handling noise issues re: boom pole work.  The ME66 is ok, kind of harsh and thin, ok on a boom, but I think it costs more than $500.  You should really try to get to a dealer and do some listening tests with the mics in your range--maybe record them and listen @ home.  Keep your eyes peeled for a used 416, but if you find one for under $500 try and find out if it has been in rental.  If you do get the ME66 and then want to move up you will always be able to sell it--it is the standard low-budg hypercard these days.

Philip Perkins

Guest repete86

Actually, the Audio Technica that really caught my eye was the AT815B due to the increased barrel length and battery powered T-power adaptor (my recording unit is still t-powered).  I was looking into the Senn 416, but unfortunately I can't afford one.  The ME66 was really the limit money-wise, and even that was puching pretty close to my limits.  The cheapest that a 416 is going for on eBay is about $650.  I did try an Azden SGM-1X, but that one is horrible, even for the price. 

I'll see what I can do about finding a dealer to get a recording, but unfortunately I don't think I'll have much luck. 

Thanks,

Pete