Oscar Sound Tech-lavs Re-visited.

Rasmus Wedin

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used an OST-801 wired for G3 and for the money, you get a lot.. Exposed on a vamp clipped onto a tie it was much too sibilant for my taste, but it performed fairly well when hidden. The capsule is flat like a tram, but is slightly too big to button hole on dress shirts.

Also, not sure if it is just mine, but the sleeve to the 1/8 connector is extremely loose and I can see down to the wiring. I don't think there is any strain relief to the solder, which is bothersome.

It kicks the crap out of the ME-2, but most things do.

I used an OST-801 wired for G3 and for the money, you get a lot.. Exposed on a vamp clipped onto a tie it was much too sibilant for my taste, but it performed fairly well when hidden. The capsule is flat like a tram, but is slightly too big to button hole on dress shirts.

Also, not sure if it is just mine, but the sleeve to the 1/8 connector is extremely loose and I can see down to the wiring. I don't think there is any strain relief to the solder, which is bothersome.

It kicks the crap out of the ME-2, but most things do.

The 802 version has a flatter frequency response so it would sound more natural exposed.  I have six of them and they sound good exposed.  If you send your mic in I'm sure they would fix the loose connector.

• 2 months later...

Quick question: any recommendations on alternative tie clips for the TL-40's? I've broken two of the ones that came with the TL-40's already, the plastic "spring" is rather flimsy.

But I don't know which other clips might fit the TL-40's. Any tips? Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

I got my Sanken clips from Pinknoise. They work for the TL-40s for sure, but I can't quite get them so that I could also fit a Rode Lav furry, since the capsule is so short... I guess one option would be to use the clip "upside-down" and clip the mic + furry on the cable holder on the backside. Will have to experiment.

• 4 years later...

Hope it’s okay to resurrect this old thread – how are OST-801/OST-802 users finding the mic these days, when in use? Was considering Trams as my first lavs until now.

Also, anyone know where to find audio samples of the mic online?

Any one compared the Senal UTM-86 with the Oscar SoundTech lavs? Or with other such lower ish budget lavs.

As I noticed they're on sale at B&H for the next couple of days:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1272800-REG/senal_utm_86_35h_lavalier_mic_with.html

Only $80 each ($120 price reduction according to B&H)

Never used the Senal.. nor do I expect to.

The USA (NJ) made OST 801 / 802 are a good bang-for-the-buck.. Exact same size/shape and pick-up characteristics as the Tram .. the mounts are even interchangeable and available in four shades (white to black). The 4x7mm end-fire OST TL40 has a flatter response which is good for sibilant voices and such. I haven't checked prices lately, but the OST mics were around $120usd with a TA or 3.5mm locking Tx plug.