Oscar Sound Tech-lavs Re-visited.

Rasmus Wedin

Of course it does, why else would I write something like that?

And also, clients over here now know a DPA from any other lav, at least that's my experience. Dpas are the standard, even in reality shows and eng.

Thanks to the heads up Christian! And that's why I'm also sticking with dpas for now, I trust that I can get good enough sound with my current setup, and til I buy a new wireless system ill just leave my current one as is.

Yeah, DPAs are standard here, weather they can hear the difference or not.

Olle, imagine comming to set with a lav that says "Ost" :D. Gonna raise some eyebrows and get som questions. For those who don't know, "Ost" means cheese in Swedish.

Still, would be so sweet with a bunch of different coloured lavs...

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How does that show? Do they send you a callsheet with the required shotguns and lavs on it or does the producer Inspect your gear upon arrival? I find it quite interesting that your g2 set gets "approved" but they "demand" a DPA lav (mark the quotations).

How does that show? Do they send you a callsheet with the required shotguns and lavs on it or does the producer Inspect your gear upon arrival? I find it quite interesting that your g2 set gets "approved" but they "demand" a DPA lav (mark the quotations).

Technically, I've never been set back because of not using a DPA lav or a g2, no one has ever left a remark so i might be over anxious. And I am not comfortable with only owning and providing g2s, believe me. But at least the g2s look like g3s, so I get by. As far as producers care it's a "Sennheiser" system. DPA lavs is a sort of quality assurance I guess.

Actually, buying into zaxcom gear, which I will at some point, will probably require me to "explain" my gear a lot more, which is odd because the g2s are far inferior! But still, it's a brand of confidence. As well as sound devices, it doesn't require any "explanation" over here, which I wish we wouldn't have to give, but some producers really want to see that we have "the right" gear. But it depends of course. DPA is one of those brands that producers recognize and "know", and therefore it could be a deal breaker.

I believe I can deliver as good audio with OST as I can with DPA, it's that archer type deal, but some producers (inexperienced or just anxious) will want the DPA for assurance... Weird as it is.

Long post...

Anyone wanna bet the senator will quote this post and give a lecture?

" But at least the g2s look like g3s, "

and sound the same....

..and do you really want the lecture ?? (and the demo of the "dreaded key test" ?? I strongly suspect some, maybe even many here ought to have it...

Sennheiser Evolution series with a DPA lav vs a high end system with an OST = no contest.

Olle, don't be so paranoid about the Senator. If he doesn't behave, ignore him or just think of him as the Insanitor. (Though in this thread he's been behaving so far, hasn't he?)

About the producers in Sweden, that just sounds so weird. If a producer asked me if I have DPA lavs, I'd be tempted to tell them something like "If you mean to ask whether my equipment has the quality to deliver excellent sound, the answer is yes, regardless of whether or not DPA lavs are part of my kit."

And I don't totally agree that Sennheiser Evolution series with a DPA lav vs a high end system with an OST = no contest.

For a sit down interview situation with the mic worn on the outside I would actually prefer the first. I mean of course I would use a boom first but then the DPA with a G2 before I'd take an OST.

Now, on a drama shoot or doco where the disadvantages of a G3 system come into play vs. a high end wireless system, that's another story.

" I would actually prefer the first. "

so ? can anyone actually tell the difference in a blind listening comparison ?

When I give the lecture, I specifically point out (via a live demonstration) that for dialog --and BTW, not just for " For a sit down interview situation with the mic worn on the outside "-- but for movie dialog, The Senn Evolution series does a fine job, even with the standard, furnished, lav mic, and while the class can hear a difference between that system and a $3500 system with premium lav, generally they are about evenly split on which they prefer... that is for dialog, but then come the keys on a ring, and there is no question which is the $600 system.

The point is, that the Senn Evolution RF mic's available for checkout at the school are perfectly adequate for their projects.

So far, no student, after many years now, has come back saying that anyone recognized any difference.

No, I know what you mean Olle. Here in Sweden DPA lavs really are the standard for rental kits. The (other people in the) crew are just used to seeing them as the only option. I wouldn't say I've had producers "inspect" my gear, but I had one come up to me on a shoot:

Producer: What the hell kind of mic is that?

Me: It's a Sanken COS 11D.

Producer: That's so weird. Will it work?

Me: Well, it's one of the most used lavs in the Hollywood movie industry, so I think we'll be fine.

As long as you can back your gear up, I think you'll be alright.

• 4 weeks later...

" Makes me wonder why we would buy OST for any reason other than the price? If price were not an issue, would you still get Trams over these microphones? What do we pay for with the extra $100? "
guess it just isn't that simple...

" Makes me wonder why we would buy OST for any reason other than the price? If price were not an issue, would you still get Trams over these microphones? What do we pay for with the extra $100? "
guess it just isn't that simple...

I just wanted to follow-up on this a bit.

I decided to go buy an OST-801 to try it out, and had some issues with it. When I purchased it at Pro-Sound Services in NY, the sales guys told me the microphone had more self-noise than the Tram. I definitely have to confirm that. Afterwards I did a side by side at the store of an OST-801 and a Tram. The OST-801 definitely had more self-noise. Pretty audible.

There was another issue that was even more problematic, and possibly related. For some reason, my Lectrosonics UM200C/UCR201 series didn't seem to play well with the OST lavs. I'm actually not sure about the cause. I tried it out on talent, and I heard what sounded like pumping on some of the dialogue. I read through the transmitter (UM200) manual and it suggested that a low setting for the transmitter gain may be causing it, so I turned the gain up to max (standard operation, according the manual, is red "limiter LED going off 10-15% of the time"), but could not get the manual-quoted amount of level for normal-speaking dialogue. Not sure if something similar happens with the (also I've heard is low-output) Tram.

I brought it back to PSS and we investigated the problem. Evidently, the UCR201 has a so-called "tri-mode dynamic filter" which kicks in to reduce hiss in areas of problematic RF. As I did the tests (and I brought my COS-11s to compare), though, I noticed that the hiss reduction and the transmitter/receiver's own companders are much more noticeable because of the OST-801's higher level of self-noise.

I had done tests at home before I brought it in, too, on both of my Lectrosonics blocks (Block 21 & 24). I still felt like I could hear either the compander or hiss reduction much more audibly on the OST-801 than on the COS-11. I think it's just because the hiss was more audible that I could hear it. It seems like post could do...something for it, but I do have to say it bothers me.

In conclusion...I don't know what to say. The guys at PSS didn't seem to think the microphone was defective in any way, so probably wasn't that. I feel like the lav might play better with the Sennheiser G3 (something that doesn't have hiss reduction in that way or that much clarity) or some other system like the 400 that would let the signal through better.

Another thing is that I only heard the 801's pumping when I hid the lav, and not when I exposed it. I used a vampire clip arrangement during the scene I used it for (facing into clip, to get some HF boost under the collar). The microphone takes on a much more muffled/distant sound when hidden.

For the few seconds I used the Tram at PSS, it did sound much cleaner and didn't seem to give me the same problems. However, I don't own that mike so I didn't get to do too many tests to see if it would give me the same problems in the same situations.

I have since returned the 801, more because of needing a tiny financial boost (lost some gigs because of Hurricane Sandy), but still...what do you guys think could have been the problem? I might post some samples. I'm also in the state of moving (sort of) so kind of messy over here. It might take me awhile to get that done. I should say that I'm pretty new to Trams. I've mostly use COS-11s and trying to mount the OST-801 was a...special experience. I think it also sounded a bit peaky (is it because I mounted it upside down?), though I wasn't sure.....

EDIT: Also, sorry for reviving an old post. But I thought it was better than starting a new post, and this thread's title fits so well.

UPDATE: Never mind. It looks like PSS won't take it back. And now I'm stuck with it....

Just received my pair of TL-40's today. All I've had time to do was unpackage them and run a quick check to make sure the connectors fit well, but they look pretty solid and SO much smaller than the stock G3 mics. Nice Remote Audio connectors. I'll run some tests in the next few days when I have some time. Nice that they came from Edison, New Jersey, where I went to high school!

@ AndyB...i would love to hear how they work with your G3s....I have G2s and was wondering how would they work with OST lavs.

Also, can somebody explain the difference between OST 3 lavs (801,802,TL40) i have noticed their frequency response and i would like to know if i have to buy a pair which one would you suggest?...how the frequency response affect their usage...?...

Thanks!

I've only used the OST 801's with Lectro SMa's and 411/Venue VRT receivers, so I can't for a fact say that it will sound good with all wireless gear. I have hardwired the 801's and have been satisfied with how they sound. No question, if cost and size were no object, I'd go with the Sanken COS-11's every time.

Does anyone have windshield suggestions for TL-40s? I've been using the clips and foams that came with the OST set deal. The foams are otherwise fine but just a tad loose so they tend to come off, especially when a talent removes the mic+Tx themselves, the foam gets easily buried inside their clothes.

A tip - if you own any Rode Lavaliers, the furries that come with those fit the TL40s just fine.

I received six TL40s a while ago and have happily been using them on ENG type work on reality shows. One mic however seems to be way less bright than the others, I'm going to have to do some testing.