What would you ask Sound Devices?

AudioSheik

This is true, exactly how I accomplished this with the SD552 (pan L). With the SD664 might be cleaner (less confusion for questionably skilled editors) and maybe less power to record just the ISO's instead of L/R + ISO'S. Just looking at options and flexibility here.

Probably something to ask for in the 2nd revision of the firmware... :)

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably something to ask for in the 2nd revision of the firmware... :)

Indeed - but SD is definitely listening as you would expect. Raised the question of whether or not unused/unarmed meters could/would be removed from the Main Screen, hopefully with the potential of increasing the meter size if just using 2-4 channels and not using X1/X2 and other channels, etc. Said it was something they think they could do and would look into it. Hopefully saves the Main Screen real estate for what is only being used, hoping for that.

Indeed - but SD is definitely listening as you would expect. Raised the question of whether or not unused/unarmed meters could/would be removed from the Main Screen, hopefully with the potential of increasing the meter size if just using 2-4 channels and not using X1/X2 and other channels, etc. Said it was something they think they could do and would look into it. Hopefully saves the Main Screen real estate for what is only being used, hoping for that.

Great! This was one of the questions I had written down to ask Jon about this evening. Another thing on my list, is to ask about the possibility of unlinking the LR record tracks so I can dis-arm the R channel (effectively giving me my usual mono mix + iso's)

Another thing that would be fantastic: As I use a 788 as my main cart recorder... If the file structure was the same, I would love to be able to pop my CF card into the bag-rig (and back to 788 again), if needed, and continue recording to the same sound roll

Great! This was one of the questions I had written down to ask Jon about this evening. Another thing on my list, is to ask about the possibility of unlinking the LR record tracks so I can dis-arm the R channel (effectively giving me my usual mono mix + iso's)

Another thing that would be fantastic: As I use a 788 as my main cart recorder... If the file structure was the same, I would love to be able to pop my CF card into the bag-rig (and back to 788 again), if needed, and continue recording to the same sound roll

Definitely worth asking again re: unused channels and meter size, reinforcing that it would be desired by many :)

Interesting regarding the file structure, looks like it is outlined on Page 27 of the User Guide, wonder if the same as 788.

Maybe if you want 96/24 and beyond you need to spend the extra money and buy a 788. Why under cut their own product?

And, as has been said over and over before, the 664 is primarily a mixer with a recorder built in and so 48/16 is perfectly reasonable.

Could you imagine Apple bringing our the iPad mini with the same specs as the 10" iPad? I think not.

Playback - apart from headphones where else does playback from each track appear and is there any control over this?

L, R, X1 and X2 tracks can be played back to all balanced and unbalanced L, R, X1 X2 analog outputs, the AES outputs and the HP outputs. All tracks L, R, X1, X2 and ISOs 1-6 (or 1-12 with CL-6) can be routed in any combination to the 8 AES outputs and HP outputs via routing matrixes

Paul