Mix-Assist / Auto Mix -When and Why?

Wyatt Tuzo

I'm just curious. I don't really do bag work anymore... I'm having a hard time understanding why automix capability seems to make-or-break feature for so many. I feel like many of the recent conversations here (Nomad, 664, Maxx, etc.) seem to come back to this repeatedly.

I have used automix ONCE in my career, and that was for a table read where they wanted every reader to have their own mic (and I wasn't provided a script beforehand)

Am I missing something? How could this be SO useful, to SO many people, SO frequently that they are willing to walk away from a recorder that otherwise perfectly suits their needs?

Wyatt

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

" How could this be SO useful, to SO many people, SO frequently that they are willing to walk away from a recorder that otherwise perfectly suits their needs? "

it is subjective.

There are actually several different ways that auto-mixers may operate, and they often are considered advantageous in various circumstances, particularly if the mix is being delivered live.

This feature is much more prevalent in the contracting branch of sound, where products have been available, and popular, for years; also popular in live (and like live) broadcasting...

" I don't really do bag work anymore... "

I don't think auto-mixing is primarily a traditional bag mixing option, though Shure did once make an automixer that could be easily used in a typical bag situation...

learn more about automixers by looking up DanDugan

Edited by studiomprd

Unscripted reality or doc work with many "talent" wired up is another great use. No way to anticipate some lines from some cast members. An automixer can really clean up a mix rather than keeping many mics open to stay on the safe side. It also works to keep background noise levels constant no matter how many or few mics are open.

I understand the principles behind automix, and I understand these scenarios (as I outline in my experience using it). What I'm still baffled by, is that people are demanding their new recorders to include automix as if It's a necessity to the work they do every day. Assuming there aren't a huge percentage of people here who's day-to-day does't involve conferences or the like, Iv'e begun to suspect that people are trying to use automix in OTS/verite style shooting. Am I mistaken?

The time I actually used automix, I ended up intentionally disabling individual channels and mixing by hand

Unscripted reality or doc work with many "talent" wired up is another great use. No way to anticipate some lines from some cast members. An automixer can really clean up a mix rather than keeping many mics open to stay on the safe side. It also works to keep background noise levels constant no matter how many or few mics are open.

I started my last post prior to Matt's response.

I suppose this is what I was having a hard time with. I personally haven't seen this as ever being a realistic option... To me, It just isn't transparent enough to rely on for this type of situation. I've also found that bleed into adjacent mics can make the automix algorithm to go wack-a-do.

For panels, for podiums... I get it. For reality TV, I don't.

But yeah... I suppose I was just curious

" What I'm still baffled by, "

ahem...

" To me, It just isn't transparent enough "

it is subjective...

and it is faster and more accurate than a person mixing can ever be...

you got problems with the sound on Late Night with David Letterman ?? (or any of the many other shows successfully, and happily, using Dugan's stuff?)

" Iv'e begun to suspect that people are trying to use automix in OTS/verite style shooting. "

probably... and why not ?

I used an FP-410 for that in the last millennium and before ISO's were practical...

Use it these days for a live radio program, on remote, with 4-6 folks on headsets all talking -and even arguing- spontaneously...

I'm certainly no expert on automixers but a multitrack recorder with an automix function (perhaps with an easily deploy-able manual override or 'lock open/close' option) would be a nice feature to have for anyone booming and mixing a bunch of unscripted mics. Imagine if it was so effective that it could be controlled from an interface small enough to hold in hand or even attached to a boom pole when operating and the rest of (the fully capable) system could sit in a back-pack.

I know i will get rubbished for this suggestion but consider the capability of a bag based set-up today compared to the size of a similarly capable system from a generation ago. I for one don't consider being a beast of burden (with all the associated wear and tear) as necessarily vital for doing a good job - it happens to be so at this moment in time but i'd like to think this could evolve.

Guest Taskin

I have tried it for the first time when it came with the new firmware update for my 788t.

I found it effects the dialogue its self way too much and has no real settings on the 788t.

It might have been possible to make it less audible if it had some Attack and Threshold settings or something.

Anyway I can definitely live without it, not a huge deal for me personally.

In addition to the above, isn't auotimix a big, badaboon to the OMB's boom...? Is automix, on the Nomad, the sort of thing that can be performed and sent to whatever tracks/outputs that are available, whilst keeping all, otherwise processes and bus assignments unmolested?

Thank you very much

Fury

In addition to the above, isn't auotimix a big, badaboon to the OMB's boom...? Is automix, on the Nomad, the sort of thing that can be performed and sent to whatever tracks/outputs that are available, whilst keeping all, otherwise processes and bus assignments unmolested?

Thank you very much

Fury

Not quite sure what you are referring to. Any of the recorders/mixers that provide an auto-mix feature I think only applies to the MIX. So, if have multiple sources you are trying to mix to a given track, the auto-mix function "auto"mixes those sources to that track. If the same sources are being recorded iso pre-fader to their own tracks, the auto-mix feature won't touch those tracks.

Guest Taskin

Have you actually tried to mix multiple radio mics whilst waving a boom around? Mix assist is a godsend.

It is only good for making a bad mix without using your hands, thank god! :D

Guest Taskin

" It is only good for making a bad mix without using your hands, thank god! "

I disagree, your welcome, and just call me Senator.

Well I can only comment on what I heard from my 788t.

It just sounds like a badly setup noise gate. It is choppy and sometimes it takes about a second to open up while you clearly miss entire words.

Have you actually tried to mix multiple radio mics whilst waving a boom around? Mix assist is a godsend.

Hi Mac,

Zackly...pun intended.

Hi Jeff, Zackly, so isn't this, to some degree, at least, a boon for the OMB to free up a lotta energy on booming, or whatever?

Thank you very much

Fury

I've used auto mix more than a handful of times and find it very helpful in reducing over all noise floor and omitting ambient human noises. Dugans sounds great compared to the shure and much more transparent.

Can Senator or someone comment on the quality between a 788t and a Dugan?

I would assume that the Dugan is better being its a 2-4 space unit!

I have only ever used the Dugan, which is a beautiful piece of gear. Works flawlessly with no chopped off words, doesn't sound or act like a gate at all. Never used the 788's mix assist, which may not be as elegantly implemented.

If the Nomad's automix feature is half as good as the Dugan, I'd be very happy. I know they have put a lot of time into it and I thought I read somewhere here that they hired a new person to work solely on this. I have high hopes, but we'll see.

Guest Taskin

Dugan is the Prosche-Ferrari-Rolls of the auto-mixers

Well I sure hope so, considering the price :D

So can you really set one of these up and sit back read a book during a long feature job?

I would assume that the Dugan is better being its a 2-4 space unit!

Pretty awesome that they've managed to get 16 channels worth onto a Yamaha YGDAI card... been telling my department that we need to get one for our Yamaha LS9-32 which would get great use out of it's functionality...

DUGAN-MY16 Automatic Mixing Controller Card

That being said I'm really looking forward to the Zaxcom implementation...

If this was directed toward me, then yes. I did so for about a decade before moving to narrative work. When I was working in that realm, the impossible wasn't expected. Either you got something or you didn't... Your reputation as a mixer was based largely on such. For me, I always saw it as a fun challenge. A dance.

As for the Dugan vs. SD vs. Zax question...

I could be fairly certain that a dedicated box by the inventor of the technology would out-perform an all-in-one solution such as the Nomad or 664... But that wasn't really what I was asking about (Mike).

Not quite sure what you are referring to. Any of the recorders/mixers that provide an auto-mix feature I think only applies to the MIX. So, if have multiple sources you are trying to mix to a given track, the auto-mix function "auto"mixes those sources to that track. If the same sources are being recorded iso pre-fader to their own tracks, the auto-mix feature won't touch those tracks.

I think that's what S.Fury was saying, only you put it directly and clearly (the essence of effective language use) rather than obfuscating with pedantry.