tech scouts

soundtrane

What's the "norm" for tech scouts for features?

I've just been told that my wanting to scout locations and have meetings with other departments three weeks before the shoot is not the "norm" and that I was being too agressive in asking for a scout "so early" and "it does not make sense to me" - this is a co-producer on the feature.

guess it depends ...

and what sort of "features" ??

wanting to go on tech scouts should be norm, but actually going may not yet be quite the norm, especially on lower $$ movies (and expecting to be paid)... as to when the tech scouts are, that is decided by productions considering numerous factors, and "our" wishes are probably pretty low on their lists...and we rarely get to go on the initial location (selection) scouts, but hopefully get invited to the final round of technical scouts of the (already) selected locations...

meetings with other dept's ?? specific meetings to discuss specific issues ?? often we just sort of take care of those by utilizing the crew list...

and then within days of shooting comes "the production meeting"...(followed by lots of side meetings!)

Edited by studiomprd

Yep. Often down to the dollars and unfortunately sound may not get to see the locations until they are locked in and there are no alternatives; a bit of looking at the horror you will have to deal with (but also a little bit of forewarned)

If you have a crew list, or know the relevant guy, give them a call or send an email - no harm done. Unless the co-pro is a total control freak!

It's normal to go on "tech scouts" but not on the preliminary location scouts.

But these days, a lot of features just expect you to load in the day before shooting. No budget for sound on tech scouts.

I love tech scouts. It's a chance not only to prepare for any challenges, but also to meet other key crew before the show starts. Get a feel for how cooperative and friendly they'll be.

Robert

It's normal to go on "tech scouts" but not on the preliminary location scouts.

But these days, a lot of features just expect you to load in the day before shooting. No budget for sound on tech scouts.

I love tech scouts. It's a chance not only to prepare for any challenges, but also to meet other key crew before the show starts. Get a feel for how cooperative and friendly they'll be.

Robert

I totally agree with Robert. Scouts are not only a great chance to feel out what you may be up against, but to meet all of the their keys you'll be working with/for. The face-time can be invaluable. Even if I have no influence over locations, I often find that I have a better idea of how to tackle a scene having scouted the location.

I let the production know upfront that I am part of the tech scouts. It is part of my deal memo. So many issues can be solved on the tech scouts that I think it is that important to getting good tracks. Some producers get it and some do not. I will give up some of the prep days to be a part of the scout. We will keep the wrap day to 8 hrs and the load in day. It is a great way to start the relationships with the other departments. They are usually bringing 4 from the lighting dept and 4 from the grip dept. Why should there not be one person from sound? Over the last few years this has not been a issue. Maybe a little negotiating on the prep days for scout days but it has worked and been very fair to both production and sound. They will usually give in when they realize that your are doing it the benefit of the production and not yourself. On my current project they gave me 9 days of scouting in various states and locations. Fight for this! It is worth it! The lighting rigging crew has enjoyed me being pro active with generator placement. I worked with the same lighting crew on another picture and when we started the scout on this one they called me the "pro active sound mixer" because I was on the scouts and worked with them. This was not always true with some of the other mixers that they worked with, they would complain about it on the day of shooting.

Sorry for the ramble but I have very strong feelings about being a part of the the tech scout. I make a lot of notes for everyone involved. This helps you solve many problems ahead of time and what you are going to have to deal with. Including the locations dept, where you need lock ups and ITC and so on.

Go for it and try to sale the production on why this would help them!

Cheers

Whit

Scouts are not only a great chance to feel out what you may be up against, but to meet all of the their keys you'll be working with/for. The face-time can be invaluable. Even if I have no influence over locations, I often find that I have a better idea of how to tackle a scene having scouted the location.

I also agree. Even on the features I've done ranging from $500k-1.5 million budget non-union it helped.

I have also been asked by other mixers who were going from one show to another with no time off to do the paid location tech scout for them a couple of times. In NYC that is one 15-passenger van with above the line and key dept. heads along for the ride. I've taken notes and some digital still photos (wide shots) at each location and email it all to them. It is what I would want myself if another soundie were scouting for me.

For some of my TV work one client where they do paid location scouts the day before production on a 1 or 2 day bigger shoot with a crew of 20 where it is also non-union and I have a great relationship with the DP who I got the job through I have some discussions with him about camera and lighting creative ideas too (since we are close) before he talks with his gaffer. Since most of our work together is a 3-person crew anyway where i assist with engineering, grip, lighting on the small shoots. I have also been able to have enough time to order additional specialized rental sound equipment based on those days for our needs. Even though the location is locked in I am able to ask that we move 100 ft away from a loud noise source or something. This is on a job where we have 1 or 2 putt-putt generators for lighting...

Thanks Whit and Richard and all for drilling down into aspects of tech scout adventures that grab my attention. And thanks to the OP fer askin'.

Elsewhere this morning on another thread posted a link to this blog entry from Evernote, a tool I use to keep track of lists.

Worth posting the link here since I envision it's multimedia/tagging/sharing options could be effective for tech scouts.

http://blog.evernote...agement-system/

Pictures/video/text/sharing/collaboration

Will add that after the scout--for my market one or two days with all the department heads immediately before the production meeting and principal photography, but Whit's inspired me to ask to be on the last of the preliminary scout days, when there are still two possible locations under consideration, too--I typically send a, "confirming our conversation(s)" email to anyone with whom I've discussed issues. Any issues that involve spending are cc'd to the UPM, POC, and APOC.

I'm thinking an email with photos/notes via Evernote might be informative and engaging.

Can envision taking particular documentation of truck placement, anomalies, load-in, and likely cart placement for the team. If they're interested. Some are. Some, not. Point? Easily done and something to do during the scout while waiting for the DP and director to point around. I tend to hang out with G&E since their discussions include the difficulty of the setup and how much setup time we're likely to have. Check.

Also effective tool for inventory management, l&d, repair status. Anyone can add this or that to the list, then for example share expendables request with UPM/POC/APOC when the time comes and all will know the action that's been taken in real time.

OT: Noticed most emailers do not append the 'cc:' to the end of their business correspondence. I think the practice deserves a comeback.

I figured it out quite easily as to why the co-producer did not want me to scout now, she wanted to save 300$ on my air tickets, etc by having me coming in a few days early before the shoot. as to whether this is the "norm" as she mentioned, imho it is most certainly not the norm, even on low budget local productions, i have scouted locations well in advance of the shoot and it has always helped in getting a lot of things figured out for all departments, having some time on their hands to react. what good is a scout three days before a shoot? Oh man. cheapskates and upstarts.