TASCAM HS-P82 V1.20 released

Tom Duffy

The much-waited-for release of the TASCAM HS-P82 V1.20 firmware is up on the tascam.com website.

http://tascam.com/pr...-p82/downloads/

Adds:

Take Renaming

Line level Input trim (-20dB - +20dB)

TC Sync REC (Record Start/Stop automatically with incoming Timecode)

PS/2 keyboard remote control of transport and shortcuts to screens.

iXML <CIRCLED> tag support.

Fixes:

Retakes (False Starts) in mirror mode.

iXML <SCENE> tag now filled in correctly. bugs in other tags fixed.

Edge cases in mirror mode recording (if one card gets full first, etc).

Full details in the release notes on our website.

Hey Tom. What types of CF cards do you recommend using? Do you suggest the 90MB/s cards, or is that overkill?

The Sandisk ultras first came out with 30MB/s transfer. These are certainly good enough for 48kHz use. We currrently recomend Sandisk extreme (any version) CF cards for use across all sampling rates and mirroring combinations that the HS-P82 supports.

90MB/s is overkill - these cards only do that rate for single file bulk transfer, and if you're recording mono files, it's not a single stream of data any more. You might see use for the faster cards if you're pulling data off them in a dedicated FireWire CF reader.

Changing the taper on the trim pots again is possible, but I'm not seeing why.

The mixer levels are smooth from +10dB down to -inf dB, we kind of expected people to mix using the mixer, not the trim pots, because the trim pots affect the levels in the iso files.

One of the things I wanted to implement is a way to flip the control of the trims to the LCD and the mixer levels to the physical knobs. That would make it nice to use in a bag, but still, the HS-P82 is basically a cart recorder, so adding the RC-F82 gives you the best control.

What about an update in the future to name tracks? Would that be possible?

The tracks already have 4 letter names displayed at the bottom of the meters, you edit these on the channel setup screen. The name is stored in the iXML chunk, so importing to iXML-aware software should be a breeze. I've had one request for longer than 4 character names, but there's no way I can see to show a longer name for all channels at once on the home screen, even if it was stored longer in the iXML.

• 4 weeks later...

Changing the taper on the trim pots again is possible, but I'm not seeing why.

The mixer levels are smooth from +10dB down to -inf dB, we kind of expected people to mix using the mixer, not the trim pots, because the trim pots affect the levels in the iso files.

One of the things I wanted to implement is a way to flip the control of the trims to the LCD and the mixer levels to the physical knobs. That would make it nice to use in a bag, but still, the HS-P82 is basically a cart recorder, so adding the RC-F82 gives you the best control.

Because I sometimes like to mix on the trims. Heresy, I know, but I'm an old-time heretic. I also like physical faders on a rig w/o a fader panel. Being able trim way down can be very useful.

philp

• 1 month later...